Would you pay 36,000 to be a doctor? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Would you pay 36,000 to be a doctor?

I would post this on the reddit "lost generation" forum but my posts never show up

I'm 31 and I live in the UK. I have two degrees in physics. I have worked minimum wage jobs for all of my life. I've also spent a lot of time unemployed. I've clocked hundreds of volunteer hours in various sections. All of this has led me nowhere in life and I still live at home, unable to get any kind of decent job with decent pay. I've had some interviews for "good" jobs but never quite made it.

Last September I applied for medical school here in the UK. I applied to 2 graduate entry (funded) courses and 2 undergraduate entry (un-funded courses).

Anyway I've been offered an interview for one of the undergraduate entry courses. If I got in I would have to pay 9250 upfront for 4 years. I would also have to take out student loans for my living expenses. I'm not sure banks will even loan the money, but I would basically have to source 36,000 from somewhere.

So now I'm in a dilemma:

1. Possibly do the course and face crushing debt for maybe all of my life. But I will be a doctor.
2. Remain unemployed, uncertain if I will ever have a proper job and any kind of life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:42 AM
alien monk

if there is no easy student loan thing available then I would never get into debt like that. unless I was sure I would be a successful and happy doctor... but evidence of my previous failed career attempts would suggest that to be really unlikely. its too flimsy a hope to get into debt over.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I wouldn't, you'd have to be 110% sure that's what you wanted to do, there can be alot of pressure & stress in a job like that you'd need to be sure you could handle it.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
I agree with the posters above: I wouldn't do it unless I was certain it was what I wanted to do and I knew I could get a job afterwards.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny shes reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:04 PM
🧱

Language: None
I wouldn't be a doctor if I were paid 1,000,000,000 for it. It sounds like an insanely stressful job. Is it your passion, or are you just looking for a paycheck? If the latter, consider the odds that you won't manage to stick with it and the odds that people don't want their lives in the hands of a doctor who's only in it for the money. There's lots of other trades you can take much cheaper courses in to earn more than minimum wage.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:18 PM
The Wanderer

No personally that's a lot of debt and I couldn't manage a high stress job like that. It doesn't sound certain if you have trouble securing the money. It's really up to whether you have the drive to be a doctor and are willing to have a good portion of your paycheck going to pay off those loans.

[Everyone disliked that.]
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:04 PM
bipolar

Obviously depends on your temperament as people have mentioned but I imagine you must have thought of that already.

Doesn't sound like a lot of money to me - definitely not in the scheme of things and over a lifetime of working. Assuming you can get a job etc and hold it down.

I used to see a lovely GP many years ago and we became quite friendly. She told me that she decided to become a doctor because she never wanted to have to worry about having enough to eat or somewhere to live ever again. She was a lovely person too - and would let me ramble on and on when I was in a very bad time of my life.

I would do it without any hesitation if my anxiety wasn't so unpredictable.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:20 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Spanish
Does the UK not provide loans and grants for students?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:48 PM
blurry dystopia gif ☣️

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah the price of education is ridiculous, it's not worth it tbh unless it's you're ultimate dream career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwsderf View Post
Does the UK not provide loans and grants for students?
Only for your first undergraduate degree I think, maybe Master's as well. And OP already has two.

It's depressing that you can't do anything with a physics degree. Really shows how ****ed society is right now.

The wretched world were living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if wed prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting even passively this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:08 PM
🧱

Language: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Doesn't sound like a lot of money to me
That's because, as evident from your posts in general, you've always been extremely wealthy (in terms of income/resources) and have been known to spend more money in a day than most of us do in a lifetime. Someone who has always made minimum wage, like the original poster, cannot relate to your experience of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison
People pay more than that for a car - it's not a big deal.
To 99% of people in the world, paying 36,000 for a car is not merely a big deal but unthinkably absurd. For most of us, a 2,000 car is a big deal that requires careful consideration and planning (and is unattainable to the majority of people).

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:53 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
That's because, as evident from your posts in general, you've always been extremely wealthy (in terms of income/resources) and have been known to spend more money in a day than most of us do in a lifetime. Someone who has always made minimum wage, like the original poster, cannot relate to your experience of money.

To 99% of people in the world, paying 36,000 for a car is not merely a big deal but unthinkably absurd. For most of us, a 2,000 car is a big deal that requires careful consideration and planning (and is unattainable to the majority of people).
I'm not wealthy mate - never have been. I've had a bit of money here and there but nothing all that special.

That amounts only about 70 grand Australian - sounds like a pretty good deal to me to become a doctor, Wow. You just pay it off.

Edit: you are right about spending a lot in one day though - but that was when I was manic.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:56 PM
Greasy prospector

I bet you could buy a Doctor for that.

A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
- Macbeth
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:15 PM
Greasy prospector

Of course it's alot of money for alot of people.

- Macbeth
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:21 PM
Barbells and kittens

If I thought I could do it I'd pay that in a heartbeat. I know myself though and the first time doing a presentation or speech was required in college I'd drop out and the money would be wasted.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:32 PM
bipolar

Sounds pretty silly everyone making a fuss. Doesn't America have all these crazy student debts where people end up owing 200,000 or something and it accumulating interest?

I think there was a guy on here that owed a quarter of a million ages ago.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:36 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
If I thought I could do it I'd pay that in a heartbeat. I know myself though and the first time doing a presentation or speech was required in college I'd drop out and the money would be wasted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here mate - I did a course on Serepax (Serax over there I think) when I was 25 and then used Xanax to do the presentations for my degree. Otherwise I would have been in big trouble.

I'd do it too - as long as I had some Valium and I was about 25 years younger.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:53 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Same here mate - I did a course on Serepax (Serax over there I think) when I was 25 and then used Xanax to do the presentations for my degree. Otherwise I would have been in big trouble.

I'd do it too - as long as I had some Valium and I was about 25 years younger.
I've heard people on here say benzos and a beta blocker got them through presentations. I never tried either to get through one, so I guess I'd want to trial run it before dropping the money on school.

When I went to truck driving school a few years ago we had to perform pre trip inspections of the truck with our instructor and the class observing. It was only 5-6 students, but that part was horrible for me. Can't even imagine the horror of a college class.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:28 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
I've heard people on here say benzos and a beta blocker got them through presentations. I never tried either to get through one, so I guess I'd want to trial run it before dropping the money on school.

When I went to truck driving school a few years ago we had to perform pre trip inspections of the truck with our instructor and the class observing. It was only 5-6 students, but that part was horrible for me. Can't even imagine the horror of a college class.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, well we have that in common mate - I hate them too. I used to have to give talks and tours at work years ago and I was always scared stiff, could barely speak. Might be worth looking into that med combination if you ever need to do them again.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:37 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Even if I did, I probably wouldn't pass the classes needed for it.

That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in

-Fiona Apple
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:25 PM
On Life Support

My Mood: Buzzed
36,000 comes to about $46,982 USD. That is extremely cheap (by US standards) for Medical School.

I am unfamiliar with how the British Medical accreditation system works but are you planning to go for a specific specialty (e.g : Pediatric, Pathology, Psychiatry,etc...) or just a general Physician?

From a financial point it is a risky endeavor. Specially if you don't finish. Imagine getting in debt up to your eyeballs and then deciding halfway through that this career path is not for you while still being liable for the debt inquired. But if you pull through it might provide with "safe job" which will allow you to live comfortable after many years of hard work.

I'd say that being a Medical practitioner would be particularly difficult for someone with Social Anxiety ( unless you work in the background like a Pathologist in front of microscope) as you will have to deal a lot people in person. People who are in physical and emotional distress. Emotions might run high on them and their families and you will be at the receiving end. A very stressful situation.

My aunt and uncle are both surgeons and although they are both financially successful they live very stressed lives. My aunt in particular would hit the bottle whenever she would lose a patient. This might not apply to you though.

Also silence on your behalf could also be misinterpreted at is best as being uncaring and at its worst as being incompetent. This might put you at odds with your patients and other medical staff.

I don't want to discourage you from becoming a Doctor if this is truly your vocation. I simply wanted to point to you some of the implications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Yeah the price of education is ridiculous, it's not worth it tbh unless it's you're ultimate dream career.

Only for your first undergraduate degree I think, maybe Master's as well. And OP already has two.

It's depressing that you can't do anything with a physics degree. Really shows how ****ed society is right now.
^ 10

That is why I don't blame NEETs for being NEETs. Things are getting pretty grim in the Western World. Why toil when you know that you will get ****ed in the @r$3 no matter what. People used to have religion and nationalism to fall back on.Ironically, the system itself has has eroded those paradigms which were use to grease the mechanism of society. So people have nothing to fall back on but trash pop culture and consumption.

Someone stop the world I want to get off!

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page