What do you do for living? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired

What do you do for living?

I'm a driver and I feel insecure about it. I graduated but I never use it to work at any company because of my social anxiety and I can't socialize with anyone. So I choose to be a driver because I don't have to talk much, no co-worker, no inside 4 walls and time freedom (like Uber). I do this for almost 3 years. I've earn a good living from it. It's helping me to survive everyday. So I keep doing it year by year... But people don't see it like a 'job', underestimate it and belittle who decides this as a whole-life job. I begin feeling bad about myself, make myself unworthy to have a chance to love someone or be friend with them. I have thought that I should quit but what else can I do? I'm scared and I'm getting old enough to have no one hire me. I have no experience at anything. Oh my life sucks, it just getting worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:49 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I've been slaving in a factory part time for almost 2 years.

it's fine, pays the bills. it also sucks. but no it's fine.

and its morally bad to be productive in the current environment anyway. the best we can do is produce little and consume little.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Barbells and kittens

I drive a truck, a mix of local and over the road. What kind of driver are you? I've never heard anyone say driving for a living isn't a real job. Plenty of demand for drivers, pay is good, and not much interaction with others.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I've been working in supply chain the past 3-4 years. It's been a mix of running around a factory and desk work.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Perpetually Exhausted

I work full-time at a library. I've been here for over 5 years now and I still love my job. Working here has forced me to confront my anxieties about confrontation (to a certain degree, I still hate it, but what can you do?) and enforcing policies.

A job is a job, anything you do for monetary compensation is a job. No job is "less" than any other. I think that's a mentality folks adopt in order to be able to feel better about their own jobs. Kinda how someone that works in an office might belittle someone that works with the arts.

Sorry for the rant. It just irritates me when people try to devalue someone else's job.

Best.

👻

You can call me Darvyn.
But I am open to other nickname possibilities.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Sorry, I didn't say clearly. Driver here is like Uber driver. You have a car and an app on your phone, then you can make money from carrying people or goods, easy thing to do, no experience at all, anytime you want to make money, just sweep the app to online or you want to take a break for many days, then offline all by yourself. And instead of car, I use motorbike.

I think people will look at you differently if you're a doctor, engineer, executive, manager, police, politician... or you're just a waiter, cleaner, gardener, guardian, dustman, garbage man... I can see it's another level of life with each job you choose, where your position is in this society. And it affects your life in some ways, I think so.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:02 PM
Permanently Banned

^ Not necessarily true that people can be judged depending on what work they do. If that's what you meant.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hummm, maybe it's not. I'm looking in the way of most people where I live will think, southeast asia. They can judge who you are by the job you doing.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:27 PM
Permanently Banned

^ Ok Ive worked with doctors etc & never did I think they thought they were better. They were either casually chatting or working. Obvs it can happen but Ive never seen that here with any job Ive done.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Humm, you do the best you like. And at least you have experience in it and you know what to do something relate to it in life. But I have nothing, everytime people ask me for help, I almost don't know what to do, like a child need to learn.
Imagine you go to college, graduate and get a degree but then you do a dustman. Humm, maybe people don't judge but they don't think you're successful too.
So you don't take it seriously, as a westerner. You think I can get to know a foreigner (white guy) without him thinking of my job?
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:14 AM
SAS Member

I think it makes things worse when you're clearly insecure about it. There's that Tyrion Lannister quote to wear your shortcomings like armour, and it can never be used to hurt you.

And trust me I know what you mean - society absolutely judges people for what they do for a living. I make the least money of all my friends. My jobs have made good conversation fodder, since I do fun sht like tour abandoned factories and robotic warehouses... But it doesn't garner respect like if I had told someone I was a scientist or engineer. I dated an engineer at some point and he told me he would never get with someone in a "low skill career". That potential relationship most definitely didn't pan out. I'm considered behind the eight ball on career trajectory at my age.

After a while the shame just gets old. We work hard for a living, and there's nothing to look down or denigrate about that. It would be boring if everyone did the same thing anyway.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:02 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvyn View Post
I work full-time at a library. I've been here for over 5 years now and I still love my job. Working here has forced me to confront my anxieties about confrontation (to a certain degree, I still hate it, but what can you do?) and enforcing policies.

A job is a job, anything you do for monetary compensation is a job. No job is "less" than any other. I think that's a mentality folks adopt in order to be able to feel better about their own jobs. Kinda how someone that works in an office might belittle someone that works with the arts.

Sorry for the rant. It just irritates me when people try to devalue someone else's job.

Best.

Totally agree. I work as a cleaner for a supermarket. Once a customer asked me where a product was and I said that I was sorry I didn't know, I'm just the cleaner. The customer patted me on the back and said I'm not "just" a cleaner, I'm a worker like everyone else. It felt nice to know that there are good people out there that don't judge people based on their employment status.

Also, you're so lucky to work in a library. My asperger's psychologist is pushing for me to take a librarian course and transition into that type of work. Glad to hear that you love what you do.

“You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” - John 18:37.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
since I do fun sht like tour abandoned factories and robotic warehouses... But it doesn't garner respect like if I had told someone I was a scientist or engineer.
Holy crap ... that sounds freaking awesome to me!!!!!!! You have my respect and admiration!
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:14 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Drivers are the red blood cells in the arteries of society, without drivers nothing else works : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Perpetually Exhausted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInAShed View Post
Also, you're so lucky to work in a library. My asperger's psychologist is pushing for me to take a librarian course and transition into that type of work. Glad to hear that you love what you do.
That's awesome! I know that there are some library positions that don't require much (if any) prior experience. If you have any questions about working in a library, just let me know.

I wish you the best of luck!

👻

You can call me Darvyn.
But I am open to other nickname possibilities.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
I work as a Driver myself. ITs a job that is about it. I deal have to with passengers not cargo so I still have to deal with people. So I guess its kind of like exposure therapy for me having to talk to people so its all good.

I have a bachelors degree so working as a driver is certainly working below what I am qualified to do. But im not good enough with my SA to sell stuff or be in meetings where I have to talk. So Driver is what I have to do. Ive had much worse jobs so it is what it is.

At least your working and being productive. Better then a lot others are doing. If you want more make a plan for the job you want and start pursuing that at this time.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:24 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Holy crap ... that sounds freaking awesome to me!!!!!!! You have my respect and admiration!
Haha yeah definitely appeals to urban exploration junkies (like me).
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:18 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Breezy
I'll be either a dental or ortho assistant soon.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
I telecommute as a Data Architect for a software company.

Not glamorous and can be difficult to keep focused. It's an enabler, that's all.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:54 AM
SAS Member

Driving is a good job, not sure why you'd be insecure about that. I wanted to be a driver when I was 21 or 22 but didn't have money for training and my credit was wrecked at the time so I couldn't get a loan.

Now I'm a freelance graphic designer. I also run a membership site with hundreds of training videos teaching how to use design software. I've been transitioning into focusing on that full time. It now makes up more of my income than freelancing does.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page