My Worst Job. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Innocent

My Worst Job.

LONG STORY
ALERT.

Hi guys!

I thought I'd just get this off my chest. I have only told one other person about this and I feel like I vent too much about it to him, lol. So I decided to post here:

There was this job I had, at a pastry shop. You'd think it'd be the sweetest thing possible (pun intended), but it was possibly, the worst job that I have EVER had in my life. I was conflicted because there were SO many great customers there, even the adults acted like kids when it came to buying the 'most delicious' cakes and other pastries. Truth be told, the fact that the customers were usually SO kind and lovable and the hours were stable and plenty are the two reasons I've stayed there.
Lesson one: NEVER stay at a job you don't like, even if the pay is decent it's not worth it if your self-worth is deteriorating along with it.

I'm going to skip over A LOT of past experiences and just get to the part where I decided this place was the last straw.

There was this one particularly busy day, with customers flocking left and right. I realized I wasn't feeling that great because (TMI alert for you 12 year olds, lol) I had just gotten my period and I was bleeding heavily. I'm anemic, btw, so I lose blood too quickly I pass out, almost immediately. Thankfully that wasn't the case but I was feeling SO faint.

So I went downstairs, told my "manager"

"Hey, *Becky, I don't feel so well. I'm going to take a break and sit down so I don't faint."

and, I crap you not guys, this is her response.

"First off, you don't go on break until I tell you to" She said in the snarkiest response
"You break when I tell you to. But whatever, go on break. Close the door"

So I close the door, and I just took a breather right outside of it. I was ready to snap. I've been so patient. Never tried to do anything to anyone, and here I was, being yelled at for doing what, not trying to DIE at work?

So something snapped in me, and I opened the door and said

"Listen, Becky, I don't like the way you're talking to me."

She looks me dead in the eye, and says

"I don't care. You watch how you're talking to me" and she does a hand gesture and follows up with, "I am your boss"

And that's when I realize, "hell no. This kind of treatment is not worth minimum wage"

So, I do what I never thought I'd do.

I looked her in the eye and said "Yeah, sweetie, cause you're such a GREAT BOSS" and screamed it at her and slammed the door as hard as I could.

She didn't yell at me for that.

I knew that that was the last straw and that I was quitting. So I pretty much (since I was a key holder and was supposed to closed that crap heap of a store), I texted my coworker (the one with depression too) that I was quitting and to tell 'my boss'. By this time my boss left for home and it was hours after.

Trust me, my boss tried to talk to me like everything was fine but I did not tolerate anything. Any time she asked me a question my response was one-worded and I ignored her to the point where she had to ask me multiple times. I didn't care if I had gotten fired because I realized my self-worth and I knew if I stayed at that job, I would have done something I regret. There were days that drove me to that.

Anyway, I get a text message from my boss saying

"Really? I gave you a shot when the others didn't believe in you"

Tbh, that HURT. Because I knew it was true. My other coworkers thought I was an idiot. And there was a morning when I cried in the bathroom because I knew everyone was talking crap about me I come out and got yelled at by another coworker (who wasn't even the manager) and told me 'to leave [my] problems at home'. Keep in mind I was in the bathroom for 4 minutes, trying to stop my anxiety attack. And actually washing my face.

Anyway, my response to that lovely message was GLORIOUS. Oh so glorious. I responded to her, "Becky, the others who didn't believe in me are just as pathetic as you are. If the regional manager does nothing but goes on TINDER each day (which he did) then I have news for you and your dysfunctional and pathetic self, you wont last long, either"

and she was like "Wow, have a nice life"

I can't lie, I had WISHED I saved that text msg, because looking at that gives me hope that I CAN defend myself!

Anyway, fast forward to now. I have a new job that pays more, the people are sweet (even though I'm new) and I'm still learning to get over the hurt.

It hurt the fact that, guys, I didn't do ANYTHING to hurt anyone there...and yet I always got in trouble or yelled at...There was even this one instance where they didn't trust me to put the words 'Payroll - 10.15' on an Excel sheet. Says alot about me, doesn't it? Lol..

Anyway, that was the worst job I had in my life so far.

I hope no one else has to deal with instances like this, and if you're still in a job like that, one of two things:

1) DEFEND YOURSELF. You are SO much more than you think and you dont deserve to be belittled.

2) LEAVE. There better places out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:51 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
O wow, this is inspiring. I'm proud of you. I don't know if I could do that. Congrats on the new job and higher pay. May I ask what the new job is? I'm glad that experience changed you for the better. Good stuff.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Innocent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
O wow, this is inspiring. I'm proud of you. I don't know if I could do that. Congrats on the new job and higher pay. May I ask what the new job is? I'm glad that experience changed you for the better. Good stuff.

Thanks! That means alot. The new job I work at now is at a gym I get a free membership so working has been a great stress reliever.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:40 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMyFaithx View Post
Thanks! That means alot. The new job I work at now is at a gym I get a free membership so working has been a great stress reliever.
No problem. Working at a gym sounds amazing, I think I would like that. Can't beat free membership, congrats .

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page