The Boxing Gloves Fiasco-For Parents & Kids Alike - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

The Boxing Gloves Fiasco-For Parents & Kids Alike

As usual, I am not quite sure where this thread belongs, and if it's in the wrog forum, I'm sure the moderators will move it to where it belongs.

I had considered the Sports Forum, but that seems to be more about specific teams and how they are doing.

Basically, how does a parent introduce their kids to a sport?

In this case, Boxing?

when I must have been about five or so, and my older brother seven or so, my parents told us that they were going to get us boxing gloves and we were going to box.

I didn't have any particular desire to box, or not box, but I just basically did what my parents told me to do.

I think my father boxed in college, and a cousin who knew about my father's earlier days, says during my father's army service days, he was called "Knuckles" because of his boxing.

So, it would seem logical that his sons would also do boxing.

Well, the Big Day came, and our parents put the boxing gloves on, and
told us to box.

I hit my brotehr on the chin, and instantly was told not do do that, and our first boxing match was stopped before it really got started.

Apparently, in wanting to encourage us to box, our parents didn't really think just what boxing was, and is: a brutal sport where boxers can get hurt.

So, how do two little boys box without injury?

I'm addressing this to members of SAS/SP Forums, who are now parents, and who may become parents in the future, as well as any members here who could remember a similar situation in their own lives when they were kids.

I would suppose there must have been some way that my brother and I could have boxed with little chance of injury.

Wearing helmets, and mouth pieces?

Being told to pull our punches and not hit each other too hard?

Well, whatever could have been done for me and my brother to box safely was never done, and if my parents knew how to fix things where we could box safely, they never did it.

So, the Boxing Gloves Story is a story of a total fiasco.

That one boxing match, was the end of my brother and me boxing.

Once An SA, Always an SA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

When I punched my brother's chin with my right boxing gloved fist, Mother immediately shrieked:

"NO! NO! DON'T DO THAT!!!"

Mother then told me not to hit my brother in the face.

She told me to hit his boxing glove coverd fists with my boxing gove covered fists.

I suppose I did what she told me to do, for how long?

Then that first, last, and only boxing match between me and my brother was concluded.

As a draw?

Years later, in my young adult life, mother was haranguing me, with her disappointment in me and my brother, and how we turned out, despite all of her and my father's attempts to guide us in the right direction, and get us interested in positive, consturctive things, including, "we got you boxing gloves, and you didn't use them."

I told her in reply, that we didn't use the boxing gloves, because after putting them on us, and seeing how dangerous boxing was, that you would not let us box, and that was the reason we didnt' use the boxing gloves.

Mother replied, "Two little boys boxing couldn't hurt each other."

Well, she certainly thought we could hurt each other when me and my brother were two little boys.

All the years after the Boxing Gloves Fiasco, Mother had gone back to her previous state of not thinking what boxing really is.

Once An SA, Always an SA
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I am disapointed this thread hasn't gotten any response.

I probably put it on the wrong forum.

If any of you moderators have read my two posts above, and know of a forum where it might get better response, and could move it to such a forum, please do so.

I am primarily addressing this thread to parents who might want to introduce their kids to boxing, and after reading my story, might be able to avoid the mistakes my parents made which resulted in the Boxing Gloves Fiasco.

Once An SA, Always an SA

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:18 AM
SAS Member

Take them to a boxing gym.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Permanently Banned

what the hell, I wish I was taught boxing. I went to karate class just once as a kid only because it was a free class. If I knew boxing then I would beat the crap out of those few fools from school who got violent with me like the punk who tapped my shoulder and punched my nose when I turned around. He got killed by a speeding pickup truck in 2011. Nice. I didn't see it but I play the scene in my head many times in slow motion and add classical music to the background. Goku uses the spirit bomb, everyone he bullied deep inside wished him bad so all of that negative energy combined got transformed into a speeding pickup truck hitting him on the highway. I always thought of beating the crap out of him throughout these years, glad the fool is now dead.

btw, I prefer muay thai than boxing.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for the posts, VincentAdultman & MobiusX.

I was in a supermarket and saw a notice on the builliten board by a boxing trainer offering to teach boxing, for among other things, kids having bully problems.

I think I might want to learn boxing all these years after The Boxing Gloves Fiasco.

I'm not dead yet, and it's Never To Late to do things you want to do, until you are dead.

Once An SA, Always an SA
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm reactivating this thread, going into six years after the last post, because I want to share it with some other people, and also, because I have some more things to say about The Boxing Gloves Fiasco.

Once An SA, Always an SA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 07:40 PM
⚾🚀📝📸🎬💾🎲⛰🍪💡

Language: None
All I can say is, any parent who just gives their 5 and 7 year old kids boxing gloves and tells them to fight has clearly taken way too many blows to the head in past boxing matches.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:06 PM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
As above, you just take them to a boxing gym. Quite easy to find one that will have specific sessions for kids, and I'll be taking my son along to one once this virus ****e gets better.

Getting kids to glove up for a spot of milling at home against a sibling is not something I'd ever do, espectially at 5 and 7 yrs old.

Doubt its harmful, and I guess there could be one or two positive lessons, beyond the sport itself, for them to learn

**** your feelings !!

SFC
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Good Reply 58318

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58318 View Post
Take them to a boxing gym.
Good reply, 58318. I did not knock my brother off of his feet with that blow to the chin, or injure him.

But, if I had done so, having him fall on his read end onto a hard floor only covered with a carpet might have caused an injury.

I'm sure at a boxing gym, they would have mats, and, other safety equipment, as well as instructors, who would teach us how to box, which I find totally incomprehensible that my father gave me and my brother not one single word of instruction on how to box, especially since he was said to have been such an enthusiastic boxer himself.

I suppose the trainers at the boxing gym would have known whether a 5 year old and a seven going on eight year old brother, were too young to do boxing safely, and might have told us to come back in a few more years.

Because this experience has haunted me so, I have re-lived that scene in our home over and over again, and have before starting this thread, done some reading on children boxing, and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children should not do boxing.

I don't remember if they said boxing was OK for adolescents, and gave any specific age at which it would be OK or whether that organization would advise against boxing for people of any age?

Looking over old local newspapers, way back in the early 1950s, one local high school had a boxing team, with photos and written reports on the boxing matches, although I can't think of any such reports in the sports sections of the newspapers in later years, up to the present.

Could boxing have eventually been decided to be too dangerous for high school students?

And, I mentioned my father as boxing in college, his photo with the boxing team in his yearbook.

Do any colleges still have boxing teams?

I'm glad that I revived this thread, and am getting good response.

That fiasco of the aborted boxing match between me and my brother has been a Defining Moment in my life, because it gets right down to the matter of Who Can You Trust?

Recently I went to the funeral of a middle aged Special Olympics athlete (no boxing as far as I know), and the final hymn was "Trust and Obey."

Well, in my case, I obeyed my parents, and did what they told me to do, but I didn't really trust them in telling me that my brother and I could not hurt each other doing boxing if we wore boxing gloves, because the gloves protected us. I wanted to trust that what they told me was true, since they were much older than me and my brother and knew so much more than we did, but I didn't really trust them, although I did obey them when they put the boxing gloves on us, and told us to start boxing.

Once An SA, Always an SA
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Three Word Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
all i can say is, any parent who just gives their 5 and 7 year old kids boxing gloves and tells them to fight has clearly taken way too many blows to the head in past boxing matches.
amen to that !

Once An SA, Always an SA
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks For

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'avjo View Post
As above, you just take them to a boxing gym. Quite easy to find one that will have specific sessions for kids, and I'll be taking my son along to one once this virus ****e gets better.

Getting kids to glove up for a spot of milling at home against a sibling is not something I'd ever do, espectially at 5 and 7 yrs old.

Doubt its harmful, and I guess there could be one or two positive lessons, beyond the sport itself, for them to learn
Thanks for some very wise words, D'avio.

Once An SA, Always an SA
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:53 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless View Post
Thanks for some very wise words, D'avio.

your welcome mate

**** your feelings !!

SFC
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I did some net searches, and got some answers to my questions, and found that US college boxing went into a decline ca 1960, after a college boxer died from a brain injury suffered in a match. The sport is still practiced in some colleges, but apparently not a large number, because I found quite a few Internetters asking what colleges did have boxing programs.

And, it was even more so with high schools, high school boxing being very rare in the USA.

Once An SA, Always an SA
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It is totally incomprehensible to me, why my boxing enthusiast father, nicknamed "Knuckles," did not give one word of instruction telling his two sons, what boxing was all about and how to do it safely.

Or, tell us anything about his experiences as a college boxer, which I knew about at the time of the Boxing Gloves Fiasco, seeing his boxing team photo in the college year book. But, I was probably in my 40s when I heard that his enthusiasm for boxing in the US Army earned him the nickname of "Knuckles."

Apparently, my father was thinking just like my mother, that if his two sons wore boxing gloves, there was no possible way that they could injure themselves doing boxing, since they were just two little boys, and it would just be something cute for him and his wife to watch.

In my reading about boxing, I have, as previously mentioned, that proper boxing training is recommended for youngsters who have problems with bullies, which I think almost all youngsters probably do have at some time.

I had that problem myself, in high school, and a sympathetic buddy of mine told me how to box, something my "Knuckles," father did not do with me and my brother when I was five and he was seven, going on eight years old.

First, he told me to make a fist.

I did so, with the tip of my thumb under my index finger. My friend told me that was a no-no, because hitting your opponent, your thumb could be broken in that position, so be sure to keep your thumb outside of your fist.

Good boxing instruction.

Why didn't "Knuckles" tell that to me and my brother when we were 2 little boys?

My friend also told me how to assume a fighter's stance, with one arm held over the face to ward off blows from my opponent.

I was probably in my young adult years, when I did occasionally watch boxing on TV from the Felt Forum in Madison Square Garden, and learned the terms, right cross, and left hook.

Again, not one single word of any of this from Knuckles to his two sons way back in the late 1950s.

I don't mean to bad mouth my parents in telling all of this, but they apparently were just not thinking that boxing was dangerous and boxers can, and do get injured.

But, I was thinking-about how my brother and I could do boxing and not be injured, but as that hymn, "Trust and Obey" says, I Obeyed, but I did not really Trust when I was told that we could not be hurt doing boxing if we wore boxing gloves, although I wanted to believe that what my parents told me was true.

And, they didn't see any reason to explain anything about boxing to their two sons, or give them any instruction of any kind.

Once An SA, Always an SA

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page