Sister thinks it's okay to make fun of my mental illness. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Sister thinks it's okay to make fun of my mental illness.

So,
Basically I have a sister that thinks it's okay to make fun of my bipolar disorder, thinks that she is superior to me (better than me in general) and on top of that makes me feel very uncomfortable in front of family. (sometimes she would insult me. She used to majorly insult me because she used to be jealous of every one of my achievements)

She is the very reason why I once wanted to hurt myself (sorry I don't want to even think about saying that awful word!) and the reason why I never spend time with my family. Like everyone else here, I have social anxiety. Now today was awful!

I have bipolar disorder and I was in a very negative, hellish, depressive state. Usually, when I am in this kind of state, I feel so much rage and depression, that I am literally crying, screaming, breaking things and in general just flipping out!!!

I know this can seem funny to people, but my sister and other sister who moved away would greatly stigmatize??? mental illness of any sort. Today, I was very unstable. Now, I don't know why this bothers me so much, maybe it's because I have ptsd from being talked about and bullied in school, but today, I walked into the living room and my sister just sat there with this nasty smirk on her face. (It's something both of my sisters would do to intimidate me, It was also this "I know something you don't" look and "I'm going to tell everyone")

She knew that I flipped out today and went crashing down, like I used to do frequently. Though, today, Instead of looking away in fear, I just looked her right in the eye and rolled my eyes at her, didn't get a reaction out of her because now, apparently, she's "better" than me. LOL

I swear, my sisters "took me down". That's the way I would describe it at least. I used to be so confident in myself, but her jealous a** had to gang up on me with my oldest sister, who, by the way, was like a best friend to me. It's as if she knew that I was being bullied at school in the same way, so she told my sister that I was doing "dirty things" in my room. I don't know how, but my sister, who was the oldest, by the way, turned against me.

Every day had become just like high school all over again. I would finish eating dinner and they would stay there. I was so innocent and unsespecting, that I truly believed my sisters loved me. It was a complete lie and let me tell you, I hurt like hell. It hurt like hell to hear those words come out of my oldest sisters mouth! "Oh my gosh! She ACTUALLY thinks that we like her!" "That's the biggest LIE we ever told her!" I still remember it, word for word.

I felt so much betrayal, that I just went to my room and cried silently for hours. When I told my parents, they never believed me. They would also say ugly, mean and hateful things under their breath, I would say something back and they would automatically tell my mom that I needed my medications raised, which left me sedated and I was unable to move on with life. They completely destroyed my self confidence, made me feel absolutely worthless and this girl has the audacity to sit there with a smirk on her face today! She should feel ashamed! Ashamed of every thing that she did to me in the past!

It wasn't her alone that completely made fun of my mental illness, my eldest sister had also joined in! One time, I was on the verge of hurting myself and they just sat there laughing at me. Of course, my parents weren't there to see it, but It really messed me up. I had attempted so many times because I felt so unsafe at home. When I told my parents about their behavior, they would say nothing was going on when there really was something going on and I fought to let them know who my sisters really were!

This resulted in arguments, where I was left in pain and rage, It was just so unfair. And you know what these two would do? They would start to talk bad about me, JUST to get that same reaction out of me, every single day!

I absolutely hate my sisters for what they have done, especially her, she acts like she's "cool" for making fun of mentally ill people, though the only person that would get that kind of treatment was of course me. Had they seen mental illness on TV or movies, they would act all sympathetic towards them! It honestly makes me SICK! I am disgusted and disturbed by those two girls who I am ashamed to call my sisters! I have disowned them and of course, they don't give a sh#T!

Now, I'm stuck at home, with no job. I used to be on honor roll, I used to be pounds smaller and that's what my sister was jealous of! She just had to let jealousy get the best of her! She was awful! My eldest sister did not help either. She just played along with all of my second oldest sisters attempts to make me feel bad. They would even make me feel like a bad person for standing up for myself!

They would look me up and down, give me dirty looks, exchange glances and scoff at me! It all made me feel so uncomfortable as a socially anxious person! I wasted so much time away from my parents, Now, their in their 50's I'll never get that time back! I am crying right now!

I guess I can't let all of this go because I have ptsd! I need to go to counseling, that's one thing I'll do this year. (as much as I possibly can)

Thanks for listening, I hope someone could give me some advice on how to deal with this.
Thanks again guys.

There's one more thing I would like to mention and she did it just this morning. She pulls out her phone and takes pictures of me and they're all unflattering. I honestly don't know where all the pictures are going(I have a big nose as well, my sisters would often make fun of it and call me ugl) I don't know what I should do about that. Usually, I just ignore it.

Update:

My sister is still trying to intimidate me by staring at me. My freaking depressive episode didn't even involve her and yet she just sits there and acts like she's never going to let me live it down or something. LOL I'm still pissed as hell from yesterday and today, I looked at her again and I honestly hate seeing the ugly looks on her face (it just makes me want to slap her even more LOL)
I don't know I'm just going to ignore it and get on with my day as I usually do because fighting with her is not benefiting me. I swear to god, she acts as if she is a king or something because she thinks that I have to be afraid of her. At this point I think I'm just going to ignore.

H.P.

Last edited by HeatherGrey; 11-26-2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Adding More
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 05:04 PM
Permanently Banned

Awww.

Sounds like sister has a personality disorder (sociopath, look it up on the internet and see if behaviour matches what a sociopath does).

She, or they would be gaslighting you to get a rise. Just ignore her when she does that (hurts her the most as is not getting attention). The smirk on face is common with sociopaths when they think they have it over you, or know you are on your own and not going to get help from anyone.

It comes down to how they were raised, where parents are too busy to spend time to bring them up properly. They don't crack down on the behaviour. They do that behaviour to get attention from parents, but flows onto other people as they get older.

They project a lot too, so what they say about you, is about their problems, not yours. If think that way you'll understand why they are doing it.

Just have to learn about what they are and to adapt.

@harrison should know more than me on subject of Bipolar and might have some advice of his own.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post
Awww.

Sounds like sister has a personality disorder (sociopath, look it up on the internet and see if behaviour matches what a sociopath does).

She, or they would be gaslighting you to get a rise. Just ignore her when she does that (hurts her the most as is not getting attention). The smirk on face is common with sociopaths when they think they have it over you, or know you are on your own and not going to get help from anyone.

It comes down to how they were raised, where parents are too busy to spend time to bring them up properly. They don't crack down on the behaviour. They do that behaviour to get attention from parents, but flows onto other people as they get older.

They project a lot too, so what they say about you, is about their problems, not yours. If think that way you'll understand why they are doing it.

Just have to learn about what they are and to adapt.

@harrison should know more than me on subject of Bipolar and might have some advice of his own.

OH MY GOSH!!! The thing you said about projection! That is LITERALLY what she does! When I was on honor roll, she thought she was stupid. She would constantly go around pitying herself, then she started calling me out for being stupid for the simplest things! When I had lost 26 lbs and she was heavy, she started to call me fat!

She still does that crap, but thank you so much! I will look into this!

Also, YES! She did want attention from her parents. That, in part, was the reason she got jealous of me, in fact, My oldest sister gets jealous when my mom takes me out to lunch. I have also been very close to my parents and they didn't like that. I learned that just last year, that my oldest sister was jealous of me being close to our parents. (I'm the closest, but that's because I never thought I was cool or edgy for not hanging out with my parents. Smh, they blame that on me!)

H.P.

Last edited by HeatherGrey; 11-25-2019 at 05:44 PM. Reason: More I needed to say.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

You know what? I think I know what I'm going to do! I'm going to be my best self! She won't like that!
I just have to start going to counseling to get this whole thing sorted out and to recover from all of this.

H.P.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:20 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherGrey View Post
OH MY GOSH!!! The thing you said about projection! That is LITERALLY what she does! When I was on honor roll, she thought she was stupid. She would constantly go around pitying herself, then she started calling me out for being stupid for the simplest things! When I had lost 26 lbs and she was heavy, she started to call me fat!

She still does that crap, but thank you so much! I will look into this!
You're welcome.

They do that projecting to make you feel emotions they can't feel and to feel less anxious. In some ways we all do this, but we correct our behaviour, they don't. They can get violent too (throw a tantrum), so don't push the point on what they are upset over. Just got see that they are not well mentally themselves.

Can be seen like a cat playing with a mouse for amusement.

Very primal instinct that we all have up to age 7 and then mature emotionally and stop doing that. They don't mature emotionally past age 7 and get worse as get older. I have seen women, men into 50's + still acting that way. They learn to conceal it better to blend in, but is still there if know how to trigger it.

Quote:
Also, YES! She did want attention from her parents. That, in part, was the reason she got jealous of me, in fact, My oldest sister gets jealous when my mom takes me out to lunch. I have also been very close to my parents and they didn't like that. I learned that just last year, that my oldest sister was jealous of me being close to our parents. (I'm the closest, but that's because I never thought I was cool or edgy for not hanging out with my parents. Smh, they blame that on me!)
You have your answer as to why she is acting that way. Once know why, learn how to deal with it better (manage it better).
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:16 AM
bipolar

Quote:
You know what? I think I know what I'm going to do! I'm going to be my best self! She won't like that!
I just have to start going to counseling to get this whole thing sorted out and to recover from all of this.
This is a good Facebook group for bipolar if you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/356671624851872/
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
This is a good Facebook group for bipolar if you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/356671624851872/

ooooh! Thank you!

H.P.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:24 AM
bipolar

Quote:
ooooh! Thank you!
That's okay. I'll send you a link if you want to send me a friend request. It's a very good group - the people are great and very supportive. There's always something going on too. I've actually learnt a lot from that group.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:32 AM
bipolar

Btw - are you on medication? Don't worry about your sister - she just has no idea. I'm actually off my medication atm too - it was making me very tired. People start getting a bit upset when I stop it though.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Btw - are you on medication? Don't worry about your sister - she just has no idea. I'm actually off my medication atm too - it was making me very tired. People start getting a bit upset when I stop it though.
Yes,
I have to be on medication at all times or I am crazy. I am not even joking

H.P.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:07 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Yes,
I have to be on medication at all times or I am crazy. I am not even joking
Yes, I understand. I'll need to go on something else soon too - every doctor I talk to lately says the same thing. They're probably right - I just have to wait to hear about this new psychiatrist I'm supposed to be getting.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Yes, I understand. I'll need to go on something else soon too - every doctor I talk to lately says the same thing. They're probably right - I just have to wait to hear about this new psychiatrist I'm supposed to be getting.
Man, for me, It's very difficult to find psychiatrists there aren't enough where I live.

H.P.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Man, for me, It's very difficult to find psychiatrists there aren't enough where I live.
There are plenty of them in Melbourne - where I live - but it's not all that easy finding a new one. Have to find one that's taking new patients, then of course they're pretty expensive too. The last guy I saw was hopeless, so I didn't go back to him. He was trying to tell me it was all anxiety. Hilarious. I even described one of my manic episodes to him - I felt like saying what was that buddy - a panic attack??

Some of them are ridiculous.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
There are plenty of them in Melbourne - where I live - but it's not all that easy finding a new one. Have to find one that's taking new patients, then of course they're pretty expensive too. The last guy I saw was hopeless, so I didn't go back to him. He was trying to tell me it was all anxiety. Hilarious. I even described one of my manic episodes to him - I felt like saying what was that buddy - a panic attack??

Some of them are ridiculous.
Dude! Ikr. I had one who was VERY religious and every single appointment, he just kept preaching to us! LOL
I never went to him again. I mean, I just went there for help, all he was doing was shoving bible quotes in our faces.

H.P.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:46 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Dude! Ikr. I had one who was VERY religious and every single appointment, he just kept preaching to us! LOL
I never went to him again. I mean, I just went there for help, all he was doing was shoving bible quotes in our faces.
Oh man, that's fantastic - Bible quotes. What the hell's wrong with these people. And we're the ones that are supposed to have mental health problems?

That last guy I saw definitely had a few issues of his own. I think he was probably prescribing a bit of medication for himself.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Oh man, that's fantastic - Bible quotes. What the hell's wrong with these people. And we're the ones that are supposed to have mental health problems?

That last guy I saw definitely had a few issues of his own. I think he was probably prescribing a bit of medication for himself.

Yeah, There are some people who Should NOT be psychiatrists. I had this one named Margaret and she was MEAN. Should would constantly blame me for almost everything and literally yell at her patients! There was a fully grown man who went to the receptionist desk one day and said that he was very uncomfortable with her! My mom came into the app with me once and she said that she reminded her of her mom, who was bipolar and untreated! She basically said that her mother treated her the same way that, that doctor had treated me. (her mother once hit her on the head with a diaper hamper and my mom got a huge gash from it, she was about 6 years old? That terrible woman gave her a dirty diaper to clean the blood. WHAT!?)

I changed from that doctor to another in the same facility and she told me to research my own medications! She constantly went on vacation and was barely ever there to help me. She seemed to only care about her paycheck and vacation time, OF COURSE!

H.P.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Yeah, There are some people who Should NOT be psychiatrists. I had this one named Margaret and she was MEAN. Should would constantly blame me for almost everything and literally yell at her patients! There was a fully grown man who went to the receptionist desk one day and said that he was very uncomfortable with her! My mom came into the app with me once and she said that she reminded her of her mom, who was bipolar and untreated! She basically said that her mother treated her the same way that, that doctor had treated me. (her mother once hit her on the head with a diaper hamper and my mom got a huge gash from it, she was about 6 years old? That terrible woman gave her a dirty diaper to clean the blood. WHAT!?)

I changed from that doctor to another in the same facility and she told me to research my own medications! She constantly went on vacation and was barely ever there to help me. She seemed to only care about her paycheck and vacation time, OF COURSE!
Jesus, you've had some real beauties. Yeah, that last guy I saw managed to be sort of rude but also lacking in communication skills both at the same time.

He had this big sign out in the waiting room about how violence towards staff would not be tolerated. I understood why while I was talking to him because all I wanted to do was wrap his computer monitor around his head.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Jesus, you've had some real beauties. Yeah, that last guy I saw managed to be sort of rude but also lacking in communication skills both at the same time.

He had this big sign out in the waiting room about how violence towards staff would not be tolerated. I understood why while I was talking to him because all I wanted to do was wrap his computer monitor around his head.

oh dude, Same!

H.P.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page