Family offered to take a loan in their name for me - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Question

Family offered to take a loan in their name for me

My family and I recently bought an apartment together. Since they earn quite good they didn't have to pay anything for the loan. The bank lent them money for an apartment, they purchased it and now I'm paying down the loan eventually saving up money living instead of paying rent.

However the apartment is in their name. I'm 25. They legally "own" it and I pay my family each month the part of the loan the bank asks.

Over time if they/I wanted to sell the apartment, if it keeps its value I would keep the money I paid on the loan. Leaving me hopefully enough to invest in something myself.

However I might just be paranoid and anxietous. But I have no legal rights here. They could **** me over at any time and decide to keep the money themselves. Do you think I have anything to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 05:48 AM
Permanently Banned

I can't say if you have to have worries about your family "****ting you over" as I don't know them but if you are really that worried about it, start saving some extra money just in case.
Just so you don't have to bother about it and concentrate on your life etc.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Estoylistoparalamuerte

My Mood: Lonely
There are two issues here. Yes, families sometimes do horrible things to other family members when the chips are down or when there are multiple siblings, etc. Should you worry about it? I have no idea, but keep precise records on all the money you are paying back and consider the following:

I don't know how it works in Norway, but in the US, you build up a "credit rating" by showing you can responsibly take on debt and repay it. This means you do need to have loans in your name that you repay. The fact that you're paying down a loan that isn't in your name may not be doing anything to help prove your future credit worthiness when you decide to need a loan.

Quote:
“What if this is as good as it gets?” - Melvin Udall

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page