Worry about people reading my mind - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 AM
SAS Member

yes, i used to think that people could read my mind. it's so weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelynn View Post
I often worry about people being able to read my mind or just knowing about something I did or didn't do or say, or even how I feel about something, such as opinions etc. I don't even know if this is SA related or like some kind of obsessional thought...anyone else feel this way? Lots of time, I often end up acting weirdly or acting in a way that would prevent them for thinking a certain thing or being able to read me...if that makes sense.
It's only a thought you have. People cannot know what you are thinking... Try yourself to read other peoples' minds. It's not simple..

It will change.. Over the years my social anxiety got considerably reduced.. Don't think much about it and it suddenly becomes less of a problem
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:26 AM

Absolutely! That's probably why it's so hard to deal with strangers. I think they already know my deepest, darkest secrets. (Let's face it, even the "normals" have deep, dark secrets.) The funny, or not so funny, thing is that when I experimented with marijuana many years ago, it would get to the point that I actually had a very hard time convincing myself that it wasn't so. I would sit there stoned out of my mind thinking of things just to test whether someone else could read my mind. Then something coincedental would happen and I'd be like "Aha!" There was a whole host of messed up stuff that marijuana began to do to my already chemically imbalanced brain, which is why I gave it up.

Disclaimer: I do not endorse the use of marijuana, especially for those who suffer from SAD.

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
broken, not defeated

I thought I was the only one! I'm convinced when I look someone in the eye they will know exactly what I'm thinking. I feel embarrassed when I do look people in the eye because I think they will know what I really think of them and realise I'm a loser.

I think far too much.

When you feel like hope is gone, look inside you and be strong

So what if it hurts me? So what if I break down?
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Leben ist verrückt!!!!

Yeah, I go through this very often. I get this feeling that people know something about me and it feels so freakin weird. So I try to not think certain thoughts so that people wont pick up any body language and assume things.

Let the fire burn
and the ashes drown your pain
let the rain fall down
and wash the ruins of your life
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 PM
SAS Member

I feel the exact same way!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
i used to think people could hear my thoughts, but that was because people would very often say something in response to what i had just thought. It used to scare me a lot. I got so paranoid that i thought maybe i only thought i was thinking things, but in actual fact i was saying them out loud. I would even stop myself from thinking things just incase the people i was with could hear what i was thinking. Sometimes i would think "if you can hear me, please let me know". I realise now it was almost certainly paranoia. Either that, or telepathy's actually possible...

I think it's supposed to be a precursor to schizophrenia. Oh dear.

oh my god i feel the exact same way i do the exact same thing!! How did you cope with this and im constantly paranoid because it is very scary when everyone says stuff that is relevant to what your thinking as if they were trying to pick on you or i dnt know but if you can tell me anything that can help and what you do it would be greatly appreciated!! Thnk you
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Social SADcase

Telepathy is real, I'm fully convinced of it. It's on a higher plane of conciousness from our usual sober state but in some chemically induced states in the past (LSD/Psiocybin) I have been fully able to communicate telepathically.

I believe we can communicate with just our energy fields and it makes me paranoid too, it's what that call "vibes". I'm very aware of it and I sense them very quickly whether they are positive or negative.

I don't think it's easy to read what someone else is thinking though, I think that's a bit different.

But personally I am paranoid about energy fields and you can make them change and see peoples reaction to it almost immediately. It's lead me to nearly have quite a few panic attacks in the past.

I promise you I'm not batshit crazy.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM
SAS Member

I don't think people can literally read my mind, but I think that they can tell how I'm feeling by my body language. Mainly I worry that they can see how uncomfortable and out of place I am feeling. This has lead me to be more self aware around people as I don't want to look so freaked out in front of them I try and monitor my every move. That doesn't help either though because then I look all stiff with a blank expression on my face and robotic looking when I move LMAO. Or worse, look angry.

I read a book called "the feel good hand book" and one of the thought distortions they cover in CBT is "mind reading" and it covers this topic.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM
ANxiouS ANXIOUS anxious

I use to think this, i also use to think secretly everyone hated me an was testing everything i did. even strangers, literally everyone. then i thought, why am i so special? why would everyone want to read my mind or hate me....
still could be true but i dont really care if it is who would waste there time listening to my scatter brain. it makes no sense in here anyway hm i can barely read my own thoughts sometimes

"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid a View Post
I use to think this, i also use to think secretly everyone hated me an was testing everything i did. even strangers, literally everyone. then i thought, why am i so special? why would everyone want to read my mind or hate me....
still could be true but i dont really care if it is who would waste there time listening to my scatter brain. it makes no sense in here anyway hm i can barely read my own thoughts sometimes
You mean like the Truman show?
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:05 PM
SAS Member

Sometimes I wish some people could read my mind. That way they know I'm not being stuck up or when I don't say hi. I'm just painfully shy at times.

"Trying and failing is better than failing to try"
post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Permanently Banned

In a way, most humans can read minds to some extent. We can read body language and facial expressions. I've seen many times that look like "oh no, it's him again, the shy kid."
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 AM
SAS Member

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswatch View Post
In a way, most humans can read minds to some extent. We can read body language and facial expressions. I've seen many times that look like "oh no, it's him again, the shy kid."
This look you speak of....is it just from people who know you or from random strangers too? And how do you know the look means what you think it means. That's not other people reading minds. That's you having associations and beliefs about a particular look and making guesses and assumptions about other people's motives, intentions and reactions towards you.

Body language remains a false interpret. There's no standard definition of the physical movements. Now, personal calibration can give a lot of insight into people but even that's just slightly informed guesses. Same with facial expressions. You can observe, interpret and place meaning onto things and make a bunch of assumptions about how people act towards you but you can't read their minds and they can't read yours.

Not to make your guy's situations worse. But many people are empaths and they can feel everything that you feel and judge everything going on in your head in relation to the current situation just by your facial expressions and body language. Voice tone too. And often very very very accurately.

Erm...nope. The opening up of the sensory acuity, calibration of an individual person and emotional intelligence levels may influence things to some extent but those things still do not give people the power to feel everything that another person feels or judge everything going on in a person's mind. Facial expressions and body language are notoriously difficult to interpret. Voice tone too.

One of my biggest influences in therapy, Richard Bandler, talks about a moment where a psychiatrist told him he was "closed to new ideas". Bandler asked why and the psychiatrist said that Bandler was sat with his legs crossed. The psychiatrist had seen Bandler's body language and made a judgement about it based on their own ideas about what such gestures might mean. And got it wrong.

Not sure how serious that post was but I just wanted to make it clear that even those with tuned sensory acuity and emotional intelligence are not mind readers. It took me four and a half hours to calibrate a woman I was working with until I understood what it might mean when she put her hands near her stomach. Four hours. And I'd still be making guesses. With that in mind, the idea that people instantly and automatically pick up on what you're thinking, feeling etc all the time and with 100% accuracy is daft.
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
I used to think people could hear my thoughts, but that was because people would very often say something in response to what I had just thought. It used to scare me a lot. I got so paranoid that I thought maybe I only thought I was thinking things, but in actual fact I was saying them out loud. I would even stop myself from thinking things just incase the people I was with could hear what I was thinking. Sometimes I would think "If you can hear me, please let me know". I realise now it was almost certainly paranoia. Either that, or telepathy's actually possible...

I think it's supposed to be a precursor to schizophrenia. Oh dear.
I know exactly what u mean, to the tee!! I've been so far that like when i walk past a stranger they say something about me as my back's turned to them. Or i think something and i hear my dad and his gf talking thinking they're commenting on what i was thinking. It's so ****ed being scared to think infront of ur own family and ur bestfriends. I'm gonna make an appointment on monday and see if I cant get help for this ill make sure i fill u guys in
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterKnox View Post
Absolutely! That's probably why it's so hard to deal with strangers. I think they already know my deepest, darkest secrets. (Let's face it, even the "normals" have deep, dark secrets.) The funny, or not so funny, thing is that when I experimented with marijuana many years ago, it would get to the point that I actually had a very hard time convincing myself that it wasn't so. I would sit there stoned out of my mind thinking of things just to test whether someone else could read my mind. Then something coincedental would happen and I'd be like "Aha!" There was a whole host of messed up stuff that marijuana began to do to my already chemically imbalanced brain, which is why I gave it up.

Disclaimer: I do not endorse the use of marijuana, especially for those who suffer from SAD.
Weed is where it started for me too. I've quit but what u just described still constantly hangs over my head
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Clever Status Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine009 View Post
People read your body language, not your mind.
This. Whether they do it conscious or subconscious your body language/facial expression does most of the talking for you, not what you actually say.

He's happy.. No wait he wants to kill you!
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Adjust a frequency on the radio and get the Millennium Man Channel.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:27 PM
SAS Member

Yeah I get that as well. Especially when people are touching me (crowded bus for instance) I feel like somehow that gives them the power to read my mind. I usually convince myself otherwise by thinking things they would have to react to like "I'm going to hit this personnnnn.... NOW!.... I will sneeze in your face in 3... 2... 1!" and then when they don't react I'm pretty sure its just me being crazy... either that or they know I'm bluffing
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Permanently Banned

i have the same exact worry, but I'm believing it's just part of my paranoia with people in general.
I have intuition but I cant read their mind so i don't think they can read mine either, anymore. But they can judge your body language and expression.

which is a pain because sometimes ppl think I'm mad when I'm actually really chill and just thinking deeply. It's too much to analyze over..
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 PM
SAS Member

Cool

i feel the same way i think people can hear my thoughts and it gets worse when im around people cause my mind will think negative thoughts about the people im around with and thats y i tend to avoid contact with any of them. in the end dont worry it will get better if people could read ur thoughts woulnt it be on t v news or something its not possible think positive! hope it helps some 1.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page