Why must treatment hurt worse than cruise mode? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
That guy

Why must treatment hurt worse than cruise mode?

Hi, my name is Matthew, and I have AvPD. *Hi Matt*
Anyway, I've tried to get myself outside of numbing myself to everything not inside my head, and generally I feel melancholic. I'll have really bad day sometimes, but the vast majority of the time is pretty low stress: when compared to forcing myself into social situations, where I feel extreme anxiety, I get depressed and a few thoughts of self harm hang around. The literature is pretty clear: letting others take the interpersonal risks will only make you worse, you have to be the one making conscious efforts to take social risks.
Cried at school the other day, and I get home emotionally exhausted, so I play xbox until I'm calm. Anyone else struggling with going out of their comfort zones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Your Average Unicorn

No offence intended here but I think everyone in this forum struggles with getting out of their comfort zone. It is part of the diagnostic criteria for social anxiety disorder. How much they have to do to get out of their comfort zone and what the consequences are vary to some extent though.

When I was trying to make friends (well to be fair I had a lot of help from my counsellor, forum tutor and people at school), I would often just want to cry because I felt so uncomfortable and quite often I would have to excuse my self from conversations to avoid having a panic attack. As I discovered, after my counsellor pointed it out to me, it is a case of pushing yourself a bit at a time rather than jumping in at the deep end. It is still hard but that way it should prevent extreme depression and thoughts of self-harm. Also, just try and give yourself a break from thoughts about social interaction; you are doing the right thing by playing on your Xbox until you feel calm.

"You're so mean when you talk about yourself, you are wrong. Change the voices in your head, make them like you instead."-Perfect by P!nk

http://too-shy-for-a-web-address.blogspot.com/

< My life in one animation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page