Why don't moe people with SA like instagram? - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,673

Why don't moe people with SA like instagram?


Maybe I'm in the mionirty but I actually find instagram to be quite enjoyable. I think that in the long run I'm going to cut down on my time on facebook and spend more time on instagram. Why do you say that I might do that? It's because the app is extremely friendly towards people who just want to browse around and like pictures and funny stories. On Facebook, you have to navigate through hundreds of ads in your course of the browsing session and in order to find everything that you want to see you have to go through at least an hour in order to get to the thing that you want. I only spent about a half an hour on instagram today and with some facebook usage -- I feel no need to go on either social-media for the rest of today. It actually met my needs quota for funny images. I probably will follow other memes on instagram later on today... it just seems like the kind of thing that I would like to follow.

You don't need to post pictures on instagram -- in fact -- you don't' need to post anything if you want to. But, if you want to post a selfie probably you'll get more likes on instagram than facebook. People can start to follow you just because you like a certain page and you'll be able to tell who has similar interests to you and who doesn't more easily. In Facebook you have to tell Facebook settings everything about you in order to make Facebook recognize your search. In instagram, you don't have to do that. You can just go quickly right away to the most interesting posts. It takes away all the mystery from Facebook and there are very few ads. I've only seen one so far in my entire time there and I hid that page because it wasn't relevant to me and I no longer saw any sponsored content.

On Facebook you can't do that and you have to weed through all your acquaintances in order to get to the right posts... you could keep your Facebook for instagram and for messaging of course to people who you know best and whom you trust, but, then, you only need to add the people that you want to see and then after you know whom you like and who you dislike from Facebook and in real life, then, you can choose whom to follow and whom not to follow on instagram to remove clutter.

Overall, I still will use Facebook for messaging purposes and to create statuses maybe once a week, or, once every few days, but as far as going on the news feed is concerned, I'm going to do it far less. I feel like instagram is able to capture my need for wanting to see funny images or informative images and in some ways it's better than both Facebook and twitter. I wonder what would happen if I like news pages on here... anyhow that's just my pro-tip for the day.

I know other people would probably say: YOU DO NOT HAVE ANXIETY IF YOU HAVE AN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT! No, that's not true. I do have anxiety just simply from going on instagram. So, but so far it's been swell. Most people have accepted my follow requests but not everyone has followed me back. Some have though. So, I know who those people are. Overall, it's a better browsing experience than Facebook and even if you don't have friends on Facebook I think that it's still a good experience to use it because you can still like all the same newsfeed pages without being depressed about what you see with other people's lives as much removing the anxiety-inducing problems that you expperience when you look at acquaintances posts.
Anti depressant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 07:58 AM
Gone and not returning.
 
Owlbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti depressant View Post
I know other people would probably say: YOU DO NOT HAVE ANXIETY IF YOU HAVE AN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT! No, that's not true. I do have anxiety just simply from going on instagram. So, but so far it's been swell. Most people have accepted my follow requests but not everyone has followed me back. Some have though. So, I know who those people are. Overall, it's a better browsing experience than Facebook and even if you don't have friends on Facebook I think that it's still a good experience to use it because you can still like all the same newsfeed pages without being depressed about what you see with other people's lives as much removing the anxiety-inducing problems that you expperience when you look at acquaintances posts.
Kinda duh lol since we have a dozen or so on instagram. Just add everyone in the instagram thread over in social connections.
Owlbear is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 AM
SAS Member
 
Mammagamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brazil
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Posts: 408
My Mood: Breezy
Because I feel no one would like my stuff.
Mammagamma is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Gone and not returning.
 
Owlbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammagamma View Post
Because I feel no one would like my stuff.
Assuming your stuff isn't photos of your socks, I'd like 'em.
Owlbear is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 AM
SAS Member
 
Virga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 30
Because going through pictures of happy people living enjoyable lives isn't my idea of a good time.
Virga is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 AM
SAS Member
 
Emar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Gender: Female
Posts: 87
I actually love Instagram. I usually dont show myself on it, just post things I find interesting and my ahem... paitings.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway
Emar is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virga View Post
Because going through pictures of happy people living enjoyable lives isn't my idea of a good time.
You don't need to follow other people on instagram. You can just follow pages that you're interested and be done with it and still have a good time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emar View Post
I actually love Instagram. I usually dont show myself on it, just post things I find interesting and my ahem... paitings.
Same. I probably will show myself a little later but just right now for starting out I love perusing through different people's pages and I also like looking at the newsfeed more than facebook. It's a lot faster and it makes me more efficient.
Anti depressant is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post
Kinda duh lol since we have a dozen or so on instagram. Just add everyone in the instagram thread over in social connections.
I missed that thread. May have to check it out later. I was kind of curious to what people here thought about instagram. I'm glad that it has some positive attention while I can understand that other people would be on the fence about it.
Anti depressant is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 09:05 AM
SAS Member
 
Emar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Gender: Female
Posts: 87
[QUOTE=... I also like looking at the newsfeed more than facebook. It's a lot faster and it makes me more efficient.[/QUOTE]

Im so sick of facebook.... More and more I believe that I will delect that profile.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway
Emar is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Chlorine and Wine
 
minimized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The idiot nation
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 12,114
My Mood: Dead
Or you just get ignored like usual.

I don't see the point of me posting selfies anyway. Social media is useless.

Here's to life, the vice
The great herald of misery
In this cup, spiritus frumenti
For this is the nectar of the spirit
minimized is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Gone and not returning.
 
Owlbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti depressant View Post
I missed that thread. May have to check it out later. I was kind of curious to what people here thought about instagram. I'm glad that it has some positive attention while I can understand that other people would be on the fence about it.
It's cool. I pulled my name off it after someone accidentally outed me as being part of this website to my followers but overall instagram gives me a fun place to throw up photos and look at what other people found interesting in their day. And 90% isn't selfies. I mean come on, nature photos shouldn't make one feel jealous or anxious lol

So yeah to the folks in here just put your username in the instagram thread and me (and the others there) will add you if you're interested.
Owlbear is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Cut Above
 
Odinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Language: English
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 1,828
My Mood: Crappy
I think most social networking sites are shallow and vain

Invisible Kid locked away in his brain
From the shame and the pain
World down the drain
Odinn is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:50 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,070
The real question is what's wrong with not joining it? If someone's not on it by now, it's probably something they wouldn't need. And to assume one's social anxiety must be the reason they are not on Instagram feels a bit condescending. I'm sure you don't mean it that way and are just recommending a social media source. Just make sure you don't veer towards the "Why are you not on Facebook?" tone.

I Offer Free Guidance for socialising via Social Activities

12 Weeks

Success:Non-Success Ratio = 3:0
SAS Successes: Abbeh, Sarahjk, TS95BB

Click to see YouTube Vlog!
macky is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Chlorine and Wine
 
minimized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The idiot nation
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 12,114
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virga View Post
Because going through pictures of happy people living enjoyable lives isn't my idea of a good time.
Yeah, it is painful. It's painful enough even being here and having all of that go on and still not fitting in. Why would anyone want to see pictures of beautiful, happy people?

Here's to life, the vice
The great herald of misery
In this cup, spiritus frumenti
For this is the nectar of the spirit
minimized is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:53 AM
SAS Member
 
andretti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,998
yeah im not down with social media. Seems like people just trying to show off their lives. Even if i didnt have sa, i like to keep my life private, which is why im not cool with showing my face online. ill post pics on here but with my face blocked off.
I dont care about any of that. I dont like to do what everyone else does. I love being different/ being a nonconformist.
andretti is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Chlorine and Wine
 
minimized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The idiot nation
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 12,114
My Mood: Dead
It does look like a contest... when you can just turn on your tv and watch a show about people dumping $400k on a beachside house so that they can "entertain."

What has social media done to us? Where you feed your curiosity in the general details of the people in your friend count... there's nothing healthy about it.

Here's to life, the vice
The great herald of misery
In this cup, spiritus frumenti
For this is the nectar of the spirit
minimized is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post
It's cool. I pulled my name off it after someone accidentally outed me as being part of this website to my followers but overall instagram gives me a fun place to throw up photos and look at what other people found interesting in their day. And 90% isn't selfies. I mean come on, nature photos shouldn't make one feel jealous or anxious lol

So yeah to the folks in here just put your username in the instagram thread and me (and the others there) will add you if you're interested.
Yikes! I don't want to add other people here then if I'll be outed as a member of this site. I do tell people closest to me that I do sometimes have social anxiety so they probably wouldn't be surprised. But, I would rather the conversation not be very public.
Anti depressant is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:38 PM
permanently barnacled
 
Kiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Narnia
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,801
Better question: Why don't more people in general dislike Instagram?

You have no effect on me because you are flat chested!
Kiba is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM
SAS Member
 
andretti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Better question: Why don't more people in general dislike Instagram?
that is a way better question.....
andretti is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 1,490
I don't understand the appeal of Instagram for most people. I mean who really cares what you post about? I feel like people are too vain and narcissistic, trying to be pseudo professional photographers taking all these artistic, filtered pics with overly staged composition, with the sole aim being to get as many likes as possible.

I only follow a few Instagrammers but I know 90% of people's accounts would be boring and of very little interest. I don't have my own account because I can't be bothered and I have nothing I would really want to share.
chaosherz is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have bad interactions with people your age made you cynical of people (general rant) muse87 Frustration 40 08-22-2016 09:56 AM
Is It Always A Bad Idea To Date Co-Workers? bogeyj Frustration 28 05-28-2016 10:44 PM
Diagnosing ugly people with BDD is cruel LonelyUgly Secondary Disorders 28 01-29-2016 12:56 PM
Why can't people udnerstand Mirukana Frustration 9 12-23-2015 12:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome