Why Does Anxiety Manifest Later In Life? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNikki View Post
For some people it can manifest early in life - either due to trauma and/or having an easier predisposition for it. Others can develop it later because something can 'activate' their predisposition which didn't occur to them earlier on in life. I think the more severe cases tend to come from the former since added time and life experiences can enhance it.

Yeah this is what I feel too. I wonder if an overprotective childhood could have something to do with it too......if kids don't get used to tackling with issues, it could become overwhelming in the future because they haven't gotten any exercise with it when they were young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
Yeah this is what I feel too. I wonder if an overprotective childhood could have something to do with it too......if kids don't get used to tackling with issues, it could become overwhelming in the future because they haven't gotten any exercise with it when they were young.
That could play in part as well. But I don’t know if a protective childhood in of itself can be the reason for a child to have anxiety. I know that one major flaw with the way I was raised is that when the problem(s) surfaced, we tried not to mention of it or take action, then there was no problem. Maybe the effects such as avoidant behavior could contribute for the anxiety when there’s no choice than reality smacking you in the face.

I’m no expert by any means, but it would make sense I guess.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:15 AM
bipolar

I think my problem must have started in my teens because I was a pretty confident little kid. I wasn't anxious at all when I was little - had friends at school and was never bullied. I became quieter at high school but I saw it more as I was just always studying - until I got sick of it and left at 16. Even then I went to work and was fine (after another year studying something else to appease my father a bit.)

I'd say my anxiety is very strange and I don't always understand how it's developed and changed. Aspects of it are worse now than then - which is a bit worrying.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Permanently Banned

My GAD and SA has been with me since my baby years, but it snowballed into Nightmare Mode at 13ISH, actually that's when my dysthymia / cyclical depression started.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:51 AM
In Liquidation

Experiencing of social trauma later in life perhaps.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:47 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
For the same reason snow gets deeper the longer it snows. Accumulation.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:04 AM
SAS Member

Language: Italian, English
My Mood: Stressed
Quote:
Hmm this is what I think too. But I wonder if really rich people go through this (the ones who have anxiety disorders). Because after a certain point of wealth, all the regular anxieties that people have don't affect you because money is security.

There's always a certain component of it that is neurological. But I do believe wealthy, and overall healthy people tend to suffer from anxiety less.

«But the thing that girls know best, is that glitter covers all the ugliness
And they know one thing above all the rest
Sparkle covers evilness
Shimmer covers all the mess
Glitter covers darkness»
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Flying Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleonora91 View Post
There's always a certain component of it that is neurological. But I do believe wealthy, and overall healthy people tend to suffer from anxiety less.
Last time I checked, celebrities are very wealthy (relative to the general population). And most of them are very troubled people. The vast majority of them probably have access to more "mental healthcare" than anyone could reasonably want and it doesn't seem to keep them from being a walking disaster.

I think the wealthier someone is, the less likely the average person is to know much about them. Celebrities, for example, tend to have PR teams to keep their private business private. Or to at least work damage control when stuff does get out. But wealthy people who are not really in the public eye? Who knows? It probably depends on how they got wealthy in the first place. If they're self made, it would stand to reason they're probably pretty psychologically stable because you have to do a lot of things right to make a lot of money. And you have to be consistent. This doesn't tend to happen if you're mentally unstable.

People who inherit their money or people who make a lot of money fast and then start using drugs or whatever? Not so much.

------------

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:00 AM
SAS Member

Language: Italian, English
My Mood: Stressed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Last time I checked, celebrities are very wealthy (relative to the general population). And most of them are very troubled people. The vast majority of them probably have access to more "mental healthcare" than anyone could reasonably want and it doesn't seem to keep them from being a walking disaster.

I think the wealthier someone is, the less likely the average person is to know much about them. Celebrities, for example, tend to have PR teams to keep their private business private. Or to at least work damage control when stuff does get out. But wealthy people who are not really in the public eye? Who knows? It probably depends on how they got wealthy in the first place. If they're self made, it would stand to reason they're probably pretty psychologically stable because you have to do a lot of things right to make a lot of money. And you have to be consistent. This doesn't tend to happen if you're mentally unstable.

People who inherit their money or people who make a lot of money fast and then start using drugs or whatever? Not so much.

So you're basically saying that wealthy people are more anxious/depressed?

«But the thing that girls know best, is that glitter covers all the ugliness
And they know one thing above all the rest
Sparkle covers evilness
Shimmer covers all the mess
Glitter covers darkness»
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:39 AM
Flying Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleonora91 View Post
So you're basically saying that wealthy people are more anxious/depressed?
No. Just that it probably doesn't help as much as people think to be very wealthy. I mean, beyond a certain point. Obviously it's going to help some to not be desperate or living paycheck to paycheck or whatever. But it comes with a whole new set of problems that are still problems even if the circumstances are different.

------------

post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:27 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Again, I became aware of my anxiety in my teens. Bullied due to weight issues by people that had been friends. Before then I was relatively happy, could talk and engage with people well.

They should erase the teenage years from our existence.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:31 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I think anxiety usually occurs later in life bc as you're developing, your gene expression shows up more. You could have a hereditary gene expression from generations ago. Also I believe nutrition plays a role. My mom told me that in her generation she could just pick up a fruit and there wasn't any pesticides on them. If you're well-nurtured from inside the womb to when you're an adult especially, then it's probably a lot less likely you'll have mental-health problems bc you have a strong physical constitution and you can handle stress/trauma better.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:54 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Also, just had a thought.

When you are younger you feel like you have time to change and make something of life. As time ticks away the hurdles become bigger. A lot of people on here talk about not having had relationships, jobs, still living with parents etc... I think as time passes this alienates people. They begin believing they are outcasts, not worthy of the things they used to want. This only gets worse as you get older unless you can jump over some of those hurdles, which can seem impossible for some.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:32 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Does anyone else find this weird? People say these anxiety disorders are usually neurological. So shouldn't it be there from the very start? If its in someone's neurology, shouldn't they be experiencing it from the moment they turn 4 or 5?

Why does it manifest so late? Could it be that we were doing something right in our childhoods which we aren't doing as adults?
I remember always being somewhat shy but got much worse when I made it to middle to about 5th or 6th grade. That is the age when a lot of metal illness shows up so it makes sense. The teenage years are very tough anyway so I think that brings a lot of mental health issues out at that time.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven17 View Post
Also, just had a thought.

When you are younger you feel like you have time to change and make something of life. As time ticks away the hurdles become bigger. A lot of people on here talk about not having had relationships, jobs, still living with parents etc... I think as time passes this alienates people. They begin believing they are outcasts, not worthy of the things they used to want. This only gets worse as you get older unless you can jump over some of those hurdles, which can seem impossible for some.

I have thought about this too. Your perceived self esteem has got a lot to do with how you compare yourself to other people. So when you see other people do stuff that you aren't doing, it makes you feel unworthy......but this is a trick of the mind.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
I think anxiety usually occurs later in life bc as you're developing, your gene expression shows up more. You could have a hereditary gene expression from generations ago. Also I believe nutrition plays a role. My mom told me that in her generation she could just pick up a fruit and there wasn't any pesticides on them. If you're well-nurtured from inside the womb to when you're an adult especially, then it's probably a lot less likely you'll have mental-health problems bc you have a strong physical constitution and you can handle stress/trauma better.

Hmm maybe.

Nutrition definitely is important because your physical and mental health are connected. I've always noticed my mood drop down whenever I eat a lot of junk food. Energy levels are the first to go down, and then you feel depressed and sluggish.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post

Celebrities are living a very unusual life compared to everyone else. They're always in the public eye and they can't go out for a walk without getting bombarded by fans. And they're always in disguise, so can't engage with the regular everyday public. Plus everything they do gets talked about so they're under high pressure. All of that can make a person go cuckoo.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by versikk View Post
My GAD and SA has been with me since my baby years, but it snowballed into Nightmare Mode at 13ISH, actually that's when my dysthymia / cyclical depression started.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you have trouble socializing as a young child?
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Flying Backwards

Quote:
Celebrities are living a very unusual life compared to everyone else. They're always in the public eye and they can't go out for a walk without getting bombarded by fans.
In some ways this is true but in other ways, it's just an amplified version of what everyone deals with. Obviously, the people you encounter in your day to day lives are not your fan club but they are kind of similar in that most of the people you will encounter in life will either think they know you or they will make a lot of assumptions about you based upon....

1. What they already know about you

2. What they can see when they first see you.

That is to say that it is similar in that a celebrity deals with a fan club filled with people who make a lot of assumptions. And while usually, the fan believes that the things they are assuming are flattering to the celebrity and that they are good things that are desirable, this isn't necessarily true. Sometimes you can see videos where a celebrity meets a fan and the fan flips out and drools all over them and you can see the cringe but you can also see the celebrity not wanting to make the cringe noticeable.

So in a way, you are not a celebrity but you also cannot really go out into public without someone noticing you and judging you. These are the things that keep SA people up at night. Hypersensitivity. Celebrities tend to have a lot of SA traits sooner or later because they will eventually be exposed to honest people who let it all hang out and they cannot deny that the things they fear other people are thinking are actually the things other people are thinking.

You will not necessarily encounter a lot of people who will just come right out and say what they're thinking (but it probably will happen from time to time). Celebrities infamously will almost always encounter a lot of the "biggest fan" types of people.

I think there is value in observing those types of things even if you're not a celebrity. The average SA person may not be a celebrity but the average SA person FEELS like they're always in an uncomfortable spotlight whether they actually are or not. If that is how someone feels, that is their reality.

------------

post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Changeless

My Mood: Worried
mine manifest at birth. my mom said i never slept even as an infant and was always anxious. i recall having panic attacks in preschool and earlier, not recognizing them for what they were until late into adulthood. the culture i grew up in did not recognize anxiety issues as being true issues. the term then was 'chicken' or 'coward.'

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

“I'm very polite by nature, even the voices in my head let each other finish their sentences.”
― Graham Parke, Unspent Time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page