Who diagnoses you? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Who diagnoses you?

Can a person get diagnosed from a therapist, or do you have to see a psychologist or psychiatrist for that?

Also I was looking at one and it had PSYD beside his name what does that stand for?

I just want to at least get a diagnoses because I am really considering applying for disability so I can go to college. I also don't have the money to see one regularly so i'm just looking to see one for a couple times maybe depending how it goes. Its been almsot 2 weeks since i've left the apartment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Magnanimous carcinoma

Re: Who diagnoses you?

It would be cheaper to see a psychologist. If you're really pressed for money, look into going to the psychology teaching clinic at a local college. Some colleges have graduate programs in psychology and train their students for therapy with actual sessions. There are licenced Ph.D psychologists present, but you will speak directly to the graduate student much of the time. The best part is that each session only costs you about $15, without the use of insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left blank
Also I was looking at one and it had PSYD beside his name what does that stand for?
This is a degree in psychology that gives a person the licence to see patients, but they aren't trained in research. It is easier to get this degree than it is to get a Ph.D; I think it's more difficult to earn than a master's, though. They are qualified to counsel you, but most professionals recommend seeing a Ph.D.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page