What's the very first step to take? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What's the very first step to take?

Firstly, i didn't realise there was so much support for people in positions similar to myself and although I haven't officially been diagnosed, i know myself i have SA. Anyhow, here's a little backstory.

I am 21 been extremely shy not because i am naturally shy but i feel that my lack of confidence and social awareness is purely down to my appearance. My friends do well with girls yet i cannot, i am super pale which is an instant turn off and i am pretty skinny (not to mention an ugly face). This combination ensures that i will probably never land a date ever in my life. This has made me turn into a social recluse watching movies whilst everyone else can enjoy the sun with their friends.

My entire life i had to suffer abuse from my peers regarding what i look like and it has really damaged my self worth and confidence around others. I have had suicidal thoughts but i probably would never act on them as i wouldn't really want to put my family thought that.

I would never ever be able to talk to my family or friends regarding this matter and I can't afford to go counselling, so what would you recommend by my next step?

Thankyou to everyone who took the time to read it, it is much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Hmmmm..... there are a lot of great books and youtube videos that might help. Um, maybe gradually put yourself out there. Take baby steps. Being on this forum is a good step, lots of people in similar situations. I know you said you can't afford counseling but I would really look into it. You might can get some type of financial assistance. Just stay positive.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:00 PM
SAS Member

the first step is learning to accept who you are both physically and mentally. you need to throw those negative thoughts out the window and accept yourself before anyone else can. I know this is going to be one of the toughest challenges are going to face, but its the only way to overcome these issues you've pointed out. then like kevin mention, find some resources that can aid you in recovery(self-help books,videos etc). I wish you luck in your journey to recovery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page