What's the ideal age for learning? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

What's the ideal age for learning?

I think after crossing 25 a person's mind won't comprehend that good.

its a normal thing for someone suffering with social anxiety and other disorders to get lagged up in education.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 09:41 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Even though it's better/easier to learn when young...there's still lots of stuff I've learned well after age 25.

It's more a matter of how well you comprehend and retain the subject matter and apply it to real life, than it is of being able to learn. (I know from your other thread you have difficulties with reading comprehension...that's not lack of intelligence or lack of ability to learn, it's just lack of concentration. If you could resolve that somehow, you could learn better/faster.)

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:10 PM
SAS Member

Toddler age to me. It's supposed to be easier to learn new languages when you are a child.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Depends on the subject. If you want to learn a language like a native you have to learn it before puberty sets in (age 10-15).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 PM
SAS Member

I comprehend things better now at my age (27) than I did when I was in my teens. I think that might be partly because I was more lazy/didn't put forth the effort and didn't care about living past a certain age back then (so I didn't try as much), though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseHope View Post
I'm curious as to why you are asking this and what you are looking for exactly?

I mean, I would think children tend to be able to absorb more info and learn more quickly. However, it's not as if you lose your ability to learn anything as you get older. I think the 25 thing is just BS. I finished college in my late, late 20's and didn't have a problem keeping up with people 10 years younger than me.

Is this one of those posts where you are wanting someone to say you are doomed if you haven't accomplished x, y, and z by 25 and therefore shouldn't try?

Some way or the other it relates to me.

I got lagged up in education that's Why I think it's too late for me now!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

But sometimes I think my brain could've grown up enough to comprehend things better than

When I was a kid?

So I was just kinda confused, motivation is needed here.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Even though it's better/easier to learn when young...there's still lots of stuff I've learned well after age 25.

It's more a matter of how well you comprehend and retain the subject matter and apply it to real life, than it is of being able to learn. (I know from your other thread you have difficulties with reading comprehension...that's not lack of intelligence or lack of ability to learn, it's just lack of concentration. If you could resolve that somehow, you could learn better/faster.)

Yes exactly you got me right.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

To my surprise, some places I read online that reading comprehension problem is actually dyslexia???
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 02:17 AM
World Experimenter

I started my second degree at 25, been at it for several months now. I am managing good. Don't let your age limit you.

I'd like to think that in the end, it will be worthwhile.

http://twitter.com/crazynified
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 AM
Permanently Banned

I think I could memorise, process and focus more efficiently when I was younger. My early 20s was probably my peak for that sort of learning. Now I get fatigued more easily so I need more breaks. I keep accumulating knowledge though. The way I conceptualise certain things gets more in depth and richer. I think once you have a foundation of knowledge it helps you acquire new information and can compensate for the loss in learning efficiency.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionz View Post
I started my second degree at 25, been at it for several months now. I am managing good. Don't let your age limit you.

me2
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongnumber View Post
I think I could memorise, process and focus more efficiently when I younger. My early 20s was probably my peak for that sort of learning. Now I get fatigued more easily so I need more breaks. I keep accumulating knowledge though. The way I conceptualise certain things gets more in depth and richer. I think once you have a foundation of knowledge it helps you acquire new information and can compensate for the loss in learning efficiency.

you still in academic?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Permanently Banned

^ No.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page