What's the difference between social anxiety and paranoid personality disorder? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What's the difference between social anxiety and paranoid personality disorder?

Do they share similar traits? Is it common for people who suffer from SA to also suffer from paranoid personality disorder?

I wrote a post recently about whether people with SA ever feel like physically hurting other people. I find many times when I'm in social situations (such as in a crowded mall) that I have the "It's Me Versus Them" mentality. Everyone is my enemy. They're against me in some way. I then think about being prepared to physically defend myself against them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

This site gives a great side by side comparison of the diagnostic criteria (from the DSM-IV) for the two:
http://www.anxietyhelp.org/information/avpd_vs_sad.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM

Wow, after reading that article i just noticed that the past couple of months my symptoms seem to have drifted over from SAD to Avoidant Personality Disorder. That is actually extremely helpful.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page