What Makes Someone Unlikable? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What Makes Someone Unlikable?

People immediately do not like me and I know it's because of the way I look.

Whenever I meet anyone at work they always look uncomfortable.

I try to not let it affect me but it really hurts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 PM
SAS Member

Possessing undesirable traits. Bad appearance, crap personality, low social status, emitting a pungent odour etc.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:00 PM
SAS Member

I think that very few people would choose not to like someone based on looks. The source of most dislike is surely personality. Especially a person who is selfish, irritable, judgmental, cruel etc. The more someone is genuinely interested in or concerned for other's wellbeing, the more likeable they are.

Of course it always helps to be a good storyteller/joker, as alot of people are just looking to be saved from their own boredom. This is not the social phobic's strongsuit, so a smiling face and an attentive ear will at least from the basis of some good relationships

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:58 PM
bipolar

I think the sort of things that make a person unlikeable are - being obnoxious, being a bully, making fun of others, loud, too pushy, liars - stuff like that.

But I don't think that's why people are avoided sometimes - sometimes it happens because that person may have qualities that make others a bit uncomfortable, not because they are actually unlikeable as such.

Say for example if a person is really quiet or awkward in social settings (probably fairly common on here I'd say) they might not know how to react to that person or even misinterpret their behaviour as aloofness or snobbiness. If the person is always struggling to think of something to say or is extremely nervous people can often sense that too, which is a bit tricky.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:34 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Angry

If the person

Does not use a telephone 24/7 every minute ever day of their life and smoke cigarettes all time always. This must be embedded in dna of each human. Crime of not doing such

any preference of
equivalently communicating by email instead, the person is invalid
and never accepted in any way at all

∂arkest place of bike locks backside of supermarket where all staff smoke & laugh and play with phonetoys all time. no millisecond passes by without nicotine, screen, SSWWWipinnggg TOUchchchcinnggg all life long. PUFF!! EARRRRRZ

I unlock the bike. before zooming away, as they all glare at me...

IT'S HIMM!!! I SCREAM at just one young woman... where's ya cigarettes and phone??? come on!! phone and cigarettes N O W !! why not! MORE! MORE NOW!!??MORE!! my 50:50 share of bullying the bullies of each walk of life. never shouted or bullied anyone ever, ever, til one did. Never Hunngg UPP on a person, ever, until people starting doing that, without goodbye or any... then...

why phone addiction? callcentre operative cannot be seen how obese, puffing smoke, eating pizza

ultimate method of hiding away to never be seen, just voice! Voice makes a human. Eyes gouged? no matter. just mouth makes the person.
if world leader at podium / rostrum their Voice is all! no other output of human body? no hands? maybe? human voice is redundant, containing zero information, only white noise or silence, no words. bleeuurrgh.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:41 AM
Benevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
I think this is actually a very complex subject, but basically humans are just fancy amoebas: they like things that give them pleasure and dislike things that give them pain.

Everyone likes different things, but there are certain kinds of traits that more or less reliably produce pleasure or pain in other people. Being attractive, smelling bad; being funny, being dull; being outgoing, being reserved; being positive, being negative; sharing values, having different values; etc.

Wishing she had a mindblowing GUI
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Powered By Moisture

My Mood: Relaxed
If you believe it's your appearance, post a pic and see if people can advise on how to try to fix the problem.

We're not here to make you feel worse. We're here to try and help you.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin

"They flutter behind you your possible pasts
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost
A warning to anyone still in command
Of their possible future, to take care."
- Pink Floyd
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:27 AM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
if they wear canada douchebag jackets.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

They stink.

Loneliness is not about being alone; it's about not feeling connected.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:51 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed
I have the same problem. I don't understand why! I also don't want to say anything because I'm not in a position to give advice.

H.P.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Sometimes I'm overly sensitive and exaggerate but I just don't understand why I immediately make others uncomfortable.

I understand that I'm awkward when meeting people and I'm like a deer in headlights and don't say a lot, but just right off the bat people already look uncomfortable.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:19 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I think the sort of things that make a person unlikeable are - being obnoxious, being a bully, making fun of others, loud, too pushy, liars - stuff like that.

But I don't think that's why people are avoided sometimes - sometimes it happens because that person may have qualities that make others a bit uncomfortable, not because they are actually unlikeable as such.

Say for example if a person is really quiet or awkward in social settings (probably fairly common on here I'd say) they might not know how to react to that person or even misinterpret their behaviour as aloofness or snobbiness. If the person is always struggling to think of something to say or is extremely nervous people can often sense that too, which is a bit tricky.
True. Your average bully probably has a lot more friends than someone with SA. Bullies often use charm or intimidation in getting people to like them. A person with SA sucks the life out of social occasions rather than going with the flow.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:28 AM
SAS Member

Language: english
My Mood: Confused
for me its when i drink i sometimes get annoying and people think thats the true me when thats far from the truth
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:01 PM
RAS

Language: English, Real talk, Spiritual
Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholyscorpio View Post
People immediately do not like me and I know it's because of the way I look.

Whenever I meet anyone at work they always look uncomfortable.

I try to not let it affect me but it really hurts.
This make me mad about people. People are so judgmental about the way another person look. It isn't right. Just because they don't look what you expect doesn't give them the right to frown upon you or turn their noses up. I wish people wouldn't do that to you. It is like they're telling you in your face un-verbally that you are ugly. They are SO wrong for that.

You ignore people like this. Don't let them be-little you because of the way you look. And if they feel uncomfortable then that is their fault and their failure to see your beauty both from the outside and inside.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
It can be just anything about me. I'm not likeable person in general...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Tired
Some things will depend on personal standards, but I think there is a general consensus for ones like being impolite, obnoxious, and inconsiderate.

For me, being too loud can be one, but that would also depend if the person is obnoxious or any of them with it. If they aren't, I think I could tolerate it. Depends on other factors such as where they're being loud, how they treat others, etc.

I've found you aren't as dislikeable as you think, if you maintain at least a basic sense of politeness and manners. Though of course, that can backfire if you keep too much to yourself since some people will also interpret that as rudeness. I've had classmates comment that I never greeted anyone, never talked, and coworkers on how I don't say "Excuse me". Those behaviors must have made me look pretty rude, which wouldn't have helped with my already low likability. Unfortunately, it's difficult if it stems from SA, but I've started taking small steps like greeting people in stores and telling them "Have a nice day".

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

This co-worker (let's call her L) apparently have "anxiety" and yet she is talkative to everyone else except me.

She does take "happy pills" so I don't know how she is without taking them, but since they make her talkative she should be talkative towards me.

Sometimes she's okay towards me. I talk to her normally but she always looks at me like I'm a freak.

I remember when I first started and was introduced to her by another co-worker and that co-worker said if you need anything you can ask L and I heard her say please don't.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholyscorpio View Post
Sometimes I'm overly sensitive and exaggerate but I just don't understand why I immediately make others uncomfortable.

I understand that I'm awkward when meeting people and I'm like a deer in headlights and don't say a lot, but just right off the bat people already look uncomfortable.
Is there anyone at your work that you feel fairly comfortable around and can talk to?

That might help - you might not care about what the others think as much then.

Also, if you have someone outside of work (sorry, I can't remember what your situation is regarding friends but I think you mentioned one before) - then try to think that person likes me and accepts me as I am. So it doesn't really matter what these dick-heads think.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 AM
Cooked.

My Mood: Breezy
If they're just meeting you and seem uncomfortable, it's much a easier "fix" than if they stopped liking you two weeks in (indicating you have a big character flaw of some sort).

If you're uncomfortable and awkward, the other person is going to naturally be as well. I don't think that makes you "unlikable" as much as it means you're not representing yourself accurately.

I wish there were people you could hire to watch/record your social interactions and coach you on the things you're doing wrong. Would make the whole process so much easier.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:04 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
I they for people with SA its more people not liking us because we are nervous and uncomfortable to be around. Not then we are mean or unattractive. So if you learn better social skills in theory you should be more likable. Easier said then done

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page