what kind of looks do you get? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
pls don't eat bats, thnx

Language: rambling

what kind of looks do you get?

these are pretty common ones for me;

it's depressing and demotivating when you go out in a relatively confident mood only to have that confidence robbed from you because of how people look at you.

I like donuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:58 AM
bipolar

Why do people look at you like that mate - that's terrible.

(hope you're doing okay btw)
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
pls don't eat bats, thnx

Language: rambling
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Why do people look at you like that mate - that's terrible.

(hope you're doing okay btw)
thanks mate. yea that's what I have tried to convey on here before, how people look at me. it's a big factor in my social anxiety is how I am perceived. I suspect it has something to do with an unfortunate combination of looks and other things in my outer personality.
my size is big, over 6 foot and a bit overweight at the moment. I have a shaved head (currently a buzzcut as I am balding) I have to keep it short because of male pattern baldness if I want to look tidy. and I typically dress using colours that reflect my mood, blacks or dark colours. so I basically look like a henchman or villain. but it's also my personality too, I am not particularly refined, I am clumsy I can come across as a bit of a thoughtless oaf. I tend to put my head down, usually a confidence thing and I am a loner. I have had to deal with suspicion from others all my life. I have got it from neighbours for most of my adult years, people always seem to be watching and scrutinizing me. sometimes life can feel like I am walking around with a sentence for committing a crime, it gets me angry and depressed.

I like donuts

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:21 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployment simulator View Post
thanks mate. yea that's what I have tried to convey on here before, how people look at me. it's a big factor in my social anxiety is how I am perceived. I suspect it has something to do with an unfortunate combination of looks and other things in my outer personality.
my size is big, over 6 foot and a bit overweight at the moment. I have a shaved head (currently a buzzcut as I am balding) I have to keep it short because of male pattern baldness if I want to look tidy. and I typically dress using colours that reflect my mood, blacks or dark colours. so I basically look like a henchman or villain. but it's also my personality too, I am not particularly refined, I am clumsy I can come across as a bit of a thoughtless oaf. I tend to put my head down, usually a confidence thing and I am a loner. I have had to deal with suspicion from others all my life. I have got it from neighbours for most of my adult years, people always seem to be watching and scrutinizing me. sometimes life can feel like I am walking around with a sentence for committing a crime, it gets me angry and depressed.
Sorry to hear that mate. I think I've seen other people mention a similar thing on here.

I've noticed people tend to reflect the way we feel about ourselves - to some extent anyway. I know when I used to be addicted to the Xanax (plus I suspect I was also manic at the time) I would be very over-confident and even something as simple as walking into a supermarket people would step back out of my way. Not out of fear or anything - but they would just give way. It was weird. I'd say the opposite is probably also true.

Nowadays I sort of know how I'm feeling more and try to control it. I tend to walk around or sit on the trams with a half-smile on my face - and if anything people tend to smile at me in return. (they're probably thinking what the hell is this dick-head smiling at though)
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:56 AM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I never really notice because I mostly avoid looking at people.

We pose this question to our children
That calls them all to stray
And live in tiny houses
Of the same mistakes we make

'Cause there are too many of us
In tiny houses here and there
Passing out somewhere
But you won't care

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:26 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I'm getting a rapey vibe from the old guy in the beanie.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:30 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Can't really say I've noticed. I generally don't look at people for long enough to elicit a reactionary glance.

/WYSD
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:33 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
I'm getting a rapey vibe from the old guy in the beanie.
I think he looks like that old man on the Gorton's Fish Sticks box.

/WYSD
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:13 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
Defensive wariness or a mild sneer of disgust or contempt seem to be the main ones. I get the first more from people on the street, the latter more from service people. If I see someone regularly and I'm consistently friendly and smile a lot some of them warm up a little and enter the zone of the polite but largely indifferent.

I expect reactions to get worse as I work my way through my transition.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 05:52 AM
SAS Member

These

These bring me down the most... and it's always AFTER I try to be normal or just social:

Tried to find more with the exact expression but I couldn't. It's just a real awkward face... and it hurts to to see people make it 'cause of me.

If it's anything I have talent for, It's making people awkward.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 05:59 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
Are you sure that they are looking at you like that? I think that social anxiety and being overly vary about how people perceive can make you interpret things into peoples looks and behavior that aren't there.

I don't know if that's the case, but just putting it out there. I used to think that people were looking at me in a negative way and that strangers hated me. I still think it's really unpleasant to pass cars that are driving past me because I think that they are looking at me.

Anyway, what I do know is that people are sometimes staring at me because I am a very tall woman. Especially short men have problems with that, but they aren't always just staring. They also feel the need to comment on it.

Usually I just avoid looking at people if I'm passing by them when I'm walking somewhere.

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:14 AM
Chonker

Yeah I get suspicious looks too. People trying to figure me out and they seem creeped out or fearful. Definitely not imagining things. People at stores side eye me a lot and sometimes when I get to the register the cashiers aren't friendly, like no 'hello' or 'thanks' usually they don't look at me straight. Also got this reaction a ton in high school and in my 20s when trying to talk to girls:

At one party the girls were talking how much of a creep I looked and they left, so I have literally ruined a party by just existing.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:27 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive
I tend to interpret looks as people being uncomfortable or annoyed by my presence. I participated in a social anxiety study years ago and it seemed like that was a big thing among people with SA - misinterpreting facial expressions as something negative. Especially expressions that are not explicitly smiling.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:57 PM
alien monk

i don't get any looks

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:54 PM
SAS Member

Generally a dismissive look, whip their heads away and looking uncomfortable.

I'm really pissed off because this woman at work gave me a "wtf she's weird" look, even though I wasn't doing anything weird. I was trying to adjust my desk and had my back to her & could tell she turned around to watch me and was making a face & sure enough I turned around & saw her making that face. It angered me because I know she wouldn't react that way to someone else.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:41 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Exclamation

frowns, scorns, grimaces from all humans 100% 24/7

no day or moment will ever be different

because i wear shorts & t-shirt AALL time all seasons.

for sake of being comfortable

age 17 leaving hometown, confident, generally same negative manner dished out to all, sarcastically, feeling supreme to all

same now
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:14 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
At stores, I just get people ready to run me right over. Like I'm invisible or something.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:44 PM
acetal dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
The casual "look away, she's kind of intense and all scared..just mind your own business" look.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
Nothing bad as far as I know. Except when I am trying to find a seat on a bus going home, I feel people are looking at me like:

Holy crap that's a bumpy ride!

/WYSD
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:43 PM
lagrimas negras

It depends. Maybe is my SA messing with my mind but I tend to get this "I don't trust this guy/ he is clearly up to no good." looks. But they're wrong. The intense look on my face isn't cause I'm trying to hurt anyone. Is more like I am just trying to get home (my safe place) without getting hurt myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page