Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   What is your life like right now? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/what-is-your-life-like-right-now-2224179/)

harrison 06-05-2019 05:57 PM

What is your life like right now?
 
I wasn't sure where to put this tbh as it's not solely about coping with social anxiety. For me it's also very largely about dealing with how I'm feeling every single day.

For example yesterday I had what is apparently called a mixed episode. In the morning I started to get manic then by the time I got into the city to try and go up to my wife's house I felt like a bus had hit me and I could barely even walk. I was completely exhausted and just had to come home.

So I guess what I'm asking is this. How does your mental health (be it social anxiety or anything else you have problems with at the moment) affect your day to day life right now?

Can you work? Can you function reasonably well socially etc? That sort of thing.

Mondo_Fernando 06-05-2019 06:40 PM

Usually my social anxiety gets worse when stressed, even to the point of body shaking.

I try to avoid stressful situations if possible.

A Summer In Texas 06-05-2019 06:50 PM

I'm what you'd call low-functioning.

No career and no social life, I'm not manic though. I feel extremely exhausted and unable to move much everyday, but more due to physical health rather mental.

harrison 06-05-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando (Post 1093735271)
Usually my social anxiety gets worse when stressed, even to the point of body shaking.

I try to avoid stressful situations if possible.

That's what I'm supposed to be doing too mate. My last therapist said exactly that - that I have to try and keep things fairly even if I can. Very difficult for me to do. Plus I get all worked up about things anyway - even on my own. I have to try and limit stimulation, like the type of music I listen to etc. It's crazy.

The body shaking would be horrible too mate.

harrison 06-05-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmDrag (Post 1093735279)
I'm what you'd call low-functioning.

No career and no social life, I'm not manic though. I feel extremely exhausted and unable to move much everyday, but more due to physical health rather mental.

I don't work - so no career, although I have in the past. I wish I could because I get very bored. I wish I could just be normal and do something where you have a decent group of people around you to talk to. I've done that in the past. I might try and do it again if I can get stable again.

Physical problems would be terrible - I'm lucky in that regard as I've always had pretty good health physically. I won't ask you what sort of physical problems because you might not want to talk about it - but I'm sorry to hear that mate.

Reverie101 06-05-2019 07:34 PM

I'm okay. I can talk and socialize and work... but I'm 5 months preg so I let my job go.

I do have bouts of anxiety but its not related to socializing but more so with my baby, generalized anxiety and just a fear of PPd.

A Summer In Texas 06-05-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison (Post 1093735301)
I don't work - so no career, although I have in the past. I wish I could because I get very bored. I wish I could just be normal and do something where you have a decent group of people around you to talk to. I've done that in the past. I might try and do it again if I can get stable again.

Physical problems would be terrible - I'm lucky in that regard as I've always had pretty good health physically. I won't ask you what sort of physical problems because you might not want to talk about it - but I'm sorry to hear that mate.

Thanks and no worries in asking me about my health.

I'm in the same mindset as you pretty much, in that my main concern at the moment is finding a person or several persons that I can have a chat with in real life...someone to hangout and go places with, etc. Even moreso than a career/menial job or the like.

Mondo_Fernando 06-05-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison (Post 1093735295)
That's what I'm supposed to be doing too mate. My last therapist said exactly that - that I have to try and keep things fairly even if I can. Very difficult for me to do. Plus I get all worked up about things anyway - even on my own. I have to try and limit stimulation, like the type of music I listen to etc. It's crazy.

Eating right food can help too, as they have done testing like that in Australia, where is known that eating the right foods helps to reduce anxiety. Like some react to certain foods or ingredients (ingredients like soy and wheat are common ingredients people react to and are found in a lot of man made foods).

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison (Post 1093735295)
The body shaking would be horrible too mate.

It is similar to what the body does when cold, but changing temp doesn't stop it. Getting away from stressful situations does stop it.

NPC Shawn 06-05-2019 09:02 PM

A mess. Endless stress about income and insurance, work concerns, personal life problems. High anxiety, drastic body weight fluctuations, chest pains, racing thoughts about all of the uncertainties.

BeautyandRage 06-05-2019 09:22 PM

I wrote something but the page refreshed and deleted it. Ultimately I do the same damn **** everyday. Wake up, rinse repeat, go back to sleep, whatever. Some days I wake up feeling okay, the day feels better, other days I wake up and my world feels like it’s falling apart, then it’s a bad day. It has been like this for years. I worked when I was younger but haven’t had to in a few years, thank god. I don’t even know how make a phone call without days of putting it off, fighting my husband to please make the call instead and ultimately me finally doing it otherwise it’ll never get done. So yeah, definitely unable to function in social situations. The only places I go is dr appointments and the store and the park. I’ve had someone talk to me at the park and it was really strange and hard for me and I wanted to cry.

Sometimes I can be feeling great, but sometimes it just takes one little thing to set me off (I’d say it’s a trigger but that word is so highly used inappropriately that it’s ruined the term). Then my day will be ruined and I will feel depressed for maybe the rest of the day, a few days, weeks. I’m trying to change and get better though, but. I am suffering from ppd really badly.

Mida37 06-05-2019 09:59 PM

Great... except accepting anxiety. Erg! My anxiety: It is like I am sad but have almost perfect perspectives on things. I feel balanced yet a feeling of wanting to break free? I feel secure but insecure at how I am viewed. I feel strong but find ways to tell myself I am weak. I am healthy but wonder if my anxiety makes me “sick.”

What a perplexing existing at times!!! This doesn’t even touch the surface of my internal highs and lows. Omg I have learned to love myself, my relationship, my son, my family, myself, my world yet there is still this lingering obsessive thought of “impending doom” or what if I missed something or does everyone and everything know how much I love them, it all!? I fear life sometimes like what is this and where am I!?

Erg. I *am happy! I really am but struggle with these above internal feelings. Yep! The ones no one sees. The fears... I am trying to teach myself to kick it all and just come full circle in happiness. My perspective being always smiling internally and externally.

After writing this I just realized something... maybe this is what happiness is... finding ways to protect by having the highs and lows. Maybe I am normal. Maybe we all have imbalances of some sort. Maybe we all struggle. I know we all do.

I guess what I need to work on is the answers to myself when I am afraid or when I am worrying about it all. That is a serious retraining of my wiring. I can do it. You can too.

Anyways love you all...

melancholyscorpio 06-06-2019 12:28 AM

I'm not that socially anxious. I don't really have physical reactions from anxiety. I'm more shy.

I'm shy towards technicians when they come into the office. We have an open office and my desk is in the hub so when there are people around I just stay at my desk.

I wouldn't go outside on a break or to the bathroom. I will wait for them to disperse.

Most of the time I'm complacent. I'm depressed because I recently loss my dog.

I generally feel apathetic. If not for work or plans then I would stay home. I wouldn't push myself to go exploring.

I generally keep to myself and fake being social at times.

Don 06-06-2019 01:00 AM

It's mixture of social anxiety combined with a plethora confidence issues and shame for me. Lots of stuff that I've repressed from family and friends keeps surfacing lately. For one thing, a lot of the depression, shame, and general psychological pain I've put myself through over the years has started manifesting more into anger. Which isn't at all helpful. People around me aren't understanding these changes happening in me. I used to maintain a calm and composed appearance. Now I'm just kind of losing my composure everytime I think about the state of my life and I've got nowhere to put those feelings. I'm at major crossroads in my life right now too, which is intensifying a lot of my frustration. Just need some stability and space, or someone who can support me emotionally, neither of which feel feasible in my life right now.

Fun Spirit 06-06-2019 01:35 AM

Striving for a better today. I Keep Going.

Suchness 06-06-2019 01:58 AM

I've gone through more intense periods of pain and suffering but the last two years have been the hardest. I had really bad social and general anxiety before that, went through psychosis and depression but the withdrawals and fatigue and all the crap that comes with it have made things so much harder.

WillYouStopDave 06-06-2019 02:04 AM

It's like living with a swarm of bees buzzing around your head all the time and occasionally 5 or 10 of them will sting you in random places just for the hell of it. When I'm not in pain, I'm severely annoyed.

harrison 06-06-2019 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeautyandRage (Post 1093735387)
I wrote something but the page refreshed and deleted it. Ultimately I do the same damn **** everyday. Wake up, rinse repeat, go back to sleep, whatever. Some days I wake up feeling okay, the day feels better, other days I wake up and my world feels like it’s falling apart, then it’s a bad day. It has been like this for years. I worked when I was younger but haven’t had to in a few years, thank god. I don’t even know how make a phone call without days of putting it off, fighting my husband to please make the call instead and ultimately me finally doing it otherwise it’ll never get done. So yeah, definitely unable to function in social situations. The only places I go is dr appointments and the store and the park. I’ve had someone talk to me at the park and it was really strange and hard for me and I wanted to cry.

Sometimes I can be feeling great, but sometimes it just takes one little thing to set me off (I’d say it’s a trigger but that word is so highly used inappropriately that it’s ruined the term). Then my day will be ruined and I will feel depressed for maybe the rest of the day, a few days, weeks. I’m trying to change and get better though, but. I am suffering from ppd really badly.

That sounds rough - I'm sorry to hear that. I've had periods in my life when I couldn't make a phone call too but I can do it okay nowadays. Some days I'll notice that I'm thinking about it and then others I won't be the slightest bit anxious about it.

I think with me it's this bloody mania - to various degrees. It's weird because when its just starting and not too bad the anxiety goes and I feel confident. (probably over-confident if anything) I have the feelings I've described on here a few times - like I want to talk to everyone, buy everything, all that sort of thing. But it gets out of control very quickly and becomes unpleasant.

I never really liked the word "triggered" either - but I've found myself using it lately a few times talking to my wife.

When you mentioned ppd at first it didn't register what it means, but I realise now. That must be really terrible. When I was in this private psych place they had a whole ward for ladies with that. They would come down to the dining room with their strollers and their babies. I think that must be extra hard - because you've got this little baby that needs to be looked after - and he/she obviously isn't aware of how you're feeling - they just need everything done now.

My wife never had that but she was very upset after she had the two miscarriages. (obviously) She even went to a therapist/shrink one time but he was hopeless and sat there looking at his watch. She reminded me of that just the other night. Some of those people are beyond incompetent and should be ashamed of themselves.

I hope things get a bit easier for you anyway.

harrison 06-06-2019 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverie101 (Post 1093735323)
I'm okay. I can talk and socialize and work... but I'm 5 months preg so I let my job go.

I do have bouts of anxiety but its not related to socializing but more so with my baby, generalized anxiety and just a fear of PPd.

Hopefully you won't get that. Fingers crossed.

harrison 06-06-2019 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suchness (Post 1093735457)
I've gone through more intense periods of pain and suffering but the last two years have been the hardest. I had really bad social and general anxiety before that, went through psychosis and depression but the withdrawals and fatigue and all the crap that comes with it have made things so much harder.

I'm sorry to hear it's been so hard for you mate - I don't think I knew that before. I hope you're alright.

discopotato 06-06-2019 03:12 AM

Not in a good place at all. mental health problems combined with grief. I don't function well at the moment


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome