What is the longest you've ever gone without talking to another person? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Failure's Art

What is the longest you've ever gone without talking to another person?

Since I started working from home in March I can go days on end without actually physically talking to another person or hearing my own voice. I will txt or email or message multiple people in a given day but may go 7-10 days without speaking to another person verbally. And this almost never bothers me, I rarely feel lonely or anything. I'm guessing this is highly unusual even for people on this forum.

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2020, 10:00 PM
bipolar

Wow - that's a long time without talking to anyone mate. It sounds like you're a true introvert.

For me it would probably be a few hours maybe? I need to talk to people - it doesn't actually even matter who it is. I'll talk to people in the shops if necessary, it can be anyone. I actually just did it a few hours ago.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2020, 10:46 PM
Big Boo's Haunt

My max has only been about 3 days. After that my parents will phone me, or I'll have to go back to work or whatever.
I don't start feeling lonely at all, but depending on how I'm feeling over that period my brain can sometimes get a bit screwy and make me more worried about when I'll next have to interact with someone.

**** you and your mandatory custom signature.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 01:54 AM
❤️ Administrator ❤️

Besides family and not counting some short voice recordings, ten years.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 03:05 AM
Pesky Pessimist

In terms of face to face talking, whenever I was living without housemates, or when housemates were out of town, it was usually a week or even two. In terms of purely even talking on the phone or texting, I often go days (if you don't count the half "heys" to the cashier).

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 03:24 AM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
About 4 months without speaking with anyone in person or on the phone / voice chat -- the holiday-free time between Christmas and my mom's birthday on which I visited family. That was common in my 20s, although occasionally a streak was broken by seeing the apartment manager or having to answer a cashier at a non-self-checkout store.

I didn't enjoy not having any human contact, but it was what it was and felt normal and expected. This year has been a little tougher because I wasn't expecting to go back to near that level of isolation.

But if you include communicating via instant messaging or SMS then I've probably never gone more than a few days without text communication.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 11:47 AM
❤️ Terminator ❤️

Language: English, some Italian. Also Australianisms and Swearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
Besides family and not counting some short voice recordings, ten years.
"hugs"

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 12:08 PM
SAS Member

Probably 2-3 days max. I go grocery shopping a couple of times a week, so speaking to the cashier, at the very least, breaks my "fast."
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 02:42 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
I speak all the time but people tend not to hear me, so.. it gets pretty bad the anxiety. I want to say a year or so because I've worked full time for that long and did not talk to any of my co-workers in that duration of time. It must've been freaky but thankfully I got out and am quiet in a noisy place. It's not so much the not talking that bothers me but more of what goes with it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 10:36 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Probably no longer than 2 days unless you exclude rote interactions such as grocery shopping. Otherwise, I'd say 2-3 weeks.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2020, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeur_brise View Post
I speak all the time but people tend not to hear me, so.. it gets pretty bad the anxiety. I want to say a year or so because I've worked full time for that long and did not talk to any of my co-workers in that duration of time. It must've been freaky but thankfully I got out and am quiet in a noisy place. It's not so much the not talking that bothers me but more of what goes with it.
Do they not hear you because you have a quiet voice or do they just ignore you? People tend to ignore me lol. Sometimes I will say something and no one responds like as if I never said anything. What kind of setting did you work in where you didn't have to talk to your co-workers? I kind of want to work there haha.

You live up in your head
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2020, 04:52 PM

My Mood: Devilish
Probably 1 day maybe, because there's always one of my siblings not to far away, or my mother, even I am otherwise alone.

I often went much longer without speaking to strangers or store people etc cause I sometimes got siblings to pick me up stuff, a few weeks maybe, that's a bad habit though, feeds avoidance.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I'm not sure now but it would have been when I was living alone. Days at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2020, 10:52 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
Do they not hear you because you have a quiet voice or do they just ignore you? People tend to ignore me lol. Sometimes I will say something and no one responds like as if I never said anything. What kind of setting did you work in where you didn't have to talk to your co-workers? I kind of want to work there haha.
Data entry/monkey work. It wasnt the best environment because you did have to ask questions, just that most of them were able to be answered by superiors which I have no problem talking to.. it was just the small chit chat between coworkers that I just couldn't do. And yes, I became more and more quiet to the point of inaudible. There were a lot of people on the team at one point, maybe 20 or more for one team and I just didn't feel comfortable.

You probably earn more from your at home job so I should the envious one, lol. It's not as if they were antisocial however, they just connected over Skype business.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 02:37 PM
SAS Member

Language: French/English
I don't think I ever went past 2 days without talking to someone (family at least). I have lived on my own for most of the time since adulthood.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 07:32 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Idk tbh. Most of the time I’m forced to talk to people even when I don’t want to.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeur_brise View Post
Data entry/monkey work. It wasnt the best environment because you did have to ask questions, just that most of them were able to be answered by superiors which I have no problem talking to.. it was just the small chit chat between coworkers that I just couldn't do. And yes, I became more and more quiet to the point of inaudible. There were a lot of people on the team at one point, maybe 20 or more for one team and I just didn't feel comfortable.

You probably earn more from your at home job so I should the envious one, lol. It's not as if they were antisocial however, they just connected over Skype business.
Yea, the banter with coworkers can be stressful. Because you have to think of something interesting to say, not just regurgitate facts. I'm not really good with the back and forth of a casual conversation. I feel like I always say something boring or stupid or out of context or random just because I can't think of anything relevant.

Well, my job is just WFH for now until the pandemic is over, if it ever ends. I still have to do conference calls which I'm terrible at and hate.

You live up in your head
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2020, 08:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Excluding my mom? 2 years regarding close connections, casual connections, or acquaintances.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2020, 11:13 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Devilish
The longest was about 3 months.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Discord all the way

It is hard to say but for family it was about a 2 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page