Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What is it that you are struggling the most with when it comes to having anxiety?

2K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  asittingducky 
#1 ·
I used to really struggle with talking to people or just being comfortable being me -- thank God I don't have that problem anymore. What do you struggle with?

#22 ·
I'm kinda with you. Since working and whatnot, I'm around people. I'm very awkward but I wouldn't say I'm afraid to talk to people anymore. However, since being more exposed to others, I unfortunately realized I don't even like most people. It's depressing. I guess I have high expectations of others, and most people don't meet them. People are loud, rude, judgemental, nosey...it's hard to find other gentle, laid back people.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Talking to or near people, but it is slowly getting better. I worry that not being able to talk makes me seem either rude or stupid, and I've noticed that the thought of people thinking those things is even scarier for me than the thought of talking. Another problem I have because of my anxiety is self-doubt.

#6 ·
I struggle to adapt in bigger unnatural environment. I'm surrounded by a crowd of people that clouds my thoughts and delays my reactions. The order of my environment always change through shifts, as if someone counts down what mood to set for the environment.

I'm a college student in a big city, and the environment bio rythm disrupts human mental health and physical health.

#8 ·
getting social capital. i can maintain a friend or a gf, just one at a time. hard to find a gf. hard to find a friend. a long time alone. i don't feel good alone, i get tired, stressed easily. phantom family doesn't help.

#12 ·
I wish I was better around groups. I've gotten to the point I'm not really anxious around a lot of other people. I don't think I look awkward, I try to just pull off uninterested and I've gotten good at that. Just can't talk. As soon as attention is on me I forget how and only manage basic responses and short sentences. Doesn't help not having much in common with most people I'm around either. I guess it doesn't matter much anymore since I can avoid most situations like that. Just go to family gatherings and occasional stuff with girlfriend's friends and coworkers.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
Talking

I think the thing I struggle with most is my ignorance. Despite the majority of my life being me stuck to a PC, I don't know a lot about the real world. I'm not street smart. I don't get people. :stu

This then leaves me being a very boring person. I don't really have a problem with that. I think silence can and should be appreciated when it can be.

Of course, the problem comes when connecting with others. Communication is necessary here and I'm not the best when it comes to this as I don't know how to handle things.

Again, I don't know about many a things, so when someone brings something up, I either don't know what they're talking about or I do but can't follow along adequately to keep things going.

#18 ·
One of the major things I struggle with is situations that I cannot control. This is a big reason why I don’t drive because while I can control what I do, I can’t control others, road conditions, traffic, etc.. I obsess over the weather also (snowing right now) and I can’t deal with it.

I am having a difficult time of late dwelling in the past and two poor decisions I made years ago that are a big reason for my near permanent state of worry and anxiety. One of those decisions in particular has been onu mind a ton lately and really making me feel bad thinking about what could have been.

I am also super lonely. No friends..online or offline or at work. Never have. This board and my therapist are really my only outlets to open up. Never dated or been in a relationship either. Hurts so bad but moreso at this time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Talking to people face to face. Even my therapist sometimes:/ It's becoming easier though, when I stop trying to smile so much and look away in a ''hmm let me think...'' kind of expression. I find it eases my self consciousness and helps me concentrate on the topic.

#20 ·
Holding down a job without quitting. Whenever I start somewhere new, everyone shuns me pretty much right away. Then they start making fun of me amongst each other and spreading rumors.

Going somewhere everyday where I'm not liked and not wanted over something I can't control is a really horrible feeling, so I quit and try again. I can't keep up that pattern though, but I don't know what else to do.

#23 ·
@plastics, well with me it's unfortunate that if it's something important or I need to communicate with somebody that I want to know or that matters I still just freeze up or get nervous. But I COMPLETELY agree with you about the difficulty in finding laid back people. At some point everybody seems to jump to their own conclusions on something or another.

#26 ·
Fear of future loneliness. Sudden upticks in anxiety of people I'm scared of even if I don't know them and that gives me physical pains. I can't even control that anxiety.

I've begun to stop my idolization of people, which is an issue I've struggled with earlier in my teenage life and younger. I hope this helps in lowering my anxiety. People aren't worth idolizing.

#27 ·
Simply speaking up. I'm usually a quiet person. I keep my emotions inside. Also once in a blue moon I have panic attacks. With those it is because I tend to scare myself because of an unknown body sensation. Whatever it is it trigger my brain and it causes me to panic. Something people who have panic attacks that go through.

#28 ·
It's hard for me to start conversations with people I don't know. I can't meet new people. I also struggle with being rejected for my SA by women :( I've let some really important people in my life move on because I didn't want to keep them from being happy..these were people who I showed a deeper side to me than anybody but it didn't matter because I didn't want to hold them back socially. It's very frustrating looking at where I am now because of SA rather then where I should have been if I had only spoken up..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.