What do you use to avoid conversations (if you do)? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What do you use to avoid conversations (if you do)?

I mean when strangers ask you something or you just seem like you don't wanna talk in general??
For me it's my earphones, hat lowered to half my face and hoodie during winter, I even pretended to not know English once :')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:10 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
yeah I seem like I dont want to talk. I keep my mouth zipped. no one tries to talk to me lol

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:53 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Start walking faster... like I need to hurry somewhere...
Earphones counts a lot, sometimes I pretend that I don't hear anyone through music even if it's not loud... Sometimes I go even for something like I don't even see them lol...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I avoid eye contact. I also almost constantly have my headset on in public. If that doesn't deter people, I just say I have somewhere to be and leave. Most strangers don't pursue anything past that point.

Otherwise, I have some stock answers to common questions that are vague enough to not be uncomfortable.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Yeah, avoid eye contact. Pretend I didn't hear them. Most of the time when someone is actively trying to talk to me it's because they are begging for money. Usually happens outside but I even had one guy at the supermarket try to tell me some sob story about how he has no money for gas. I don't even own a car, so I'm not feeling sympathy for that one.

Sometimes there are crazies. Rarely I get someone asking for directions.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:01 AM
🐞 Moderator 🐞

It doesn’t happen very often, but I pretend I didn’t hear them or thought they were talking to someone else and keep walking.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:53 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Well, random people do not attempt to engage me in conversation very often but I have certainly been known to simply walk away from them and leave them talking to themselves.

With people I know, I don't feel bad about it. I will have standard types of conversations with them but if they start harping on one thing in an annoying fashion or they start pestering me about SA type things, I will walk away from them if I can.

This is one big reason for my avoidant types of patterns. I tend to not do things where I'd be just stuck with annoying people. I spend as little time in tight quarters with annoying people as possible. Example - Being in a car with someone who won't shut up and keeps talking about stupid stuff nobody talks about is a nightmare scenario for me because I am too SA to just tell them to shut up.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I just ignore people. I mean, that's what people do to me if I attempt to make nice, so I don't see the issue. I'm not someone who fits in at all even in the slightest. So it's what I have to do.

I especially hate it when a stranger wants to talk about nothing and then they get mad and beligarent with me for not giving them the reaction they want. I know they're going to react that way, so I preemptively stop that from happening.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 PM
Tired

Language: English
Unless I am really upset, I am always keen to have conversations. Hangover from the conversation practice I used to do from therapy, I always get a buzz from it, and people talking to me means I don't have to go through the whole initiation process (which is where the anxiety / rumination and possible avoidance and guilt stuff kicks in). If someone starts a convo with me, then it's all a bonus and I get a little buzz from it usually.

Unfortunately I intimidate the **** out of people, so they don't start conversations with me. And if taken by susprise I think I give off non friendly vibes.

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:43 AM
SAS Member

On the train I used to play my switch. Some people would ask if they could watch. I always found it strange that grown adults would want to watch people on the train playing video games, and I would always laugh and say sure if you really want to, but it would make me extremely uncomfortable. I think I'd honestly rather talk to them than just have them staring at my game
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:01 AM
SAS Member

Language: Non-Verbal communication
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy extrovert View Post
On the train I used to play my switch. Some people would ask if they could watch. I always found it strange that grown adults would want to watch people on the train playing video games, and I would always laugh and say sure if you really want to, but it would make me extremely uncomfortable. I think I'd honestly rather talk to them than just have them staring at my game
This is pree cute lmao. It just reminds me when I used to watch my brother or old friends play games but never participated.. and sometimes being able to talk about a certain game but having never played it.

“I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy.”
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Mute View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy extrovert View Post
This is pree cute lmao. It just reminds me when I used to watch my brother or old friends play games but never participated.. and sometimes being able to talk about a certain game but having never played it. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SAS_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/IMG]
I guess it is kinda cute! Well, on the bright side, when it leads to conversations it's usually about the game or the switch. When I play smash Bros a lot of people seem to come in to the conversation if they overhear it to talk about the game
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

I do not avoid the conversations, I feel the obligation to overcome this even though I die of sadness to hear that people tell me that I am the silent guy of my workplace. It will be that I am almost 30 years old that I cannot waste time.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:39 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibil View Post
I do not avoid the conversations, I feel the obligation to overcome this even though I die of sadness to hear that people tell me that I am the silent guy of my workplace. It will be that I am almost 30 years old that I cannot waste time.
Very good I was about to post this, also in the same boat as you and am just not having it anymore.
Would you be interested in joining a whatsapp or skype improvement and motivation group?

Anyway my joke answer is to carry a religious book around in my bag and pull it out and start asking them if they would like to know more about my faith
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
I'm just very ....distant. I don't really talk back to them or prolong the convo. Only saying the bare minimum.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:38 AM
SAS Member

I don't seem to have to do anything any more. I usually engage if they try me, but I guess most just see my visage and body language and it puts them right off.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Tired

Language: English
My face

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:35 PM
BUSTY BBW BBC TAKING MILF

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
I run everywhere as fast as I can

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

You ain't tried no drug like me
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post
I run everywhere as fast as I can
Do you say meep meep ?

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:03 PM
BUSTY BBW BBC TAKING MILF

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Do you say meep meep ?
Meep meep

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

You ain't tried no drug like me

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page