What Are Your Symptoms of Anxiety? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What Are Your Symptoms of Anxiety?

So I feel like I don't experience anxiety like other people do. My anxiety is mild compared to others.

I feel tense all the time. Even though I can talk to people at work and joke around I still feel tense. I end up feeling it on my neck.

I don't like talking to people for long periods of time. I play with my hands.

Sometimes I just feel like crying. Today I was walking to the shops and I started feeling weird and that I couldn't breathe. Then I just felt like crying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:45 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholyscorpio View Post
So I feel like I don't experience anxiety like other people do. My anxiety is mild compared to others.

I feel tense all the time. Even though I can talk to people at work and joke around I still feel tense. I end up feeling it on my neck.

Sometimes I just feel like crying. Today I was walking to the shops and I started feeling weird and that I couldn't breathe. Then I just felt like crying.
That's horrible - I hope you're okay.

I think mine is quite mild too - but it's been enough to have a big impact on my life in general, especially work. It's not too bad with friends etc though - although lately I've become a lot more avoidant I think.

Part of that has been trying to deal with my life as it is now though - away from my wife. It's been hard but I'm slowly getting better at it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:45 PM
lagrimas negras

My symptoms are simply that I lose control. When my SA kicks in at a high level, my mind and thoughts go all over the place to the point where I can't think straight. And the more I try to fight it, the worse it gets. I tend to get paranoid so I'll either keep quiet or end up saying something stupid that I'll immediate regret.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:47 PM
SAS Member

Language: Speaks English, Understands Spanish and Dutch
My Mood: Lonely
My SA was worse when I was younger because I was bullied a lot. I'm a naturally shy person, but I think the bullying really made me afraid to be around people. I'm currently attending a vocational college, and it's pretty small, and I've gotten to know people which is nice. I feel like I can talk to people but at the same time, I'm still awkward. I always get really anxious walking into the classroom every day no matter how many times I've done it. There's something about entering a room with people already in it, that gets to me. My obvious symptoms are sweating and shaking when I'm around people, and in rare occasions, I get physically sick, but overall, I think it's gotten better.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:18 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Exclamation

people's aggression only

therefore i grew a lot of aggression to 'em, immediately

Brit Bulldog

why they still alive?

worker |<------recruiter / lawyer /----->| employer

LIFE = LUCK. No magic. someone made a fluffy subjective decision which affected you and will forever
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:19 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
Quote:

fairly similar anxiety wise. neck locks up, super tense when in a bad situation, usually that one in one on one talking or an interview. eye contact, feel it begin, gotta get away. avoid.

the few times I do presentation, shakey shakey. someone joke look like I **** myself. ****.

sitting in class = sweat so much arms stick to desk. cant think. roll call sweat, hyper vigilant for my name, disassociating.

anticipatory snake guts.

performance anxiety during some task. 50% shakey 50% tense over control. difficult.

in all cases, brain goes on holiday. capable only of doing the thing, getting out the words, running away. oblivious to what else is going on. hyper focussed but half not there.

of course less these days. why jump through hoops, go around them or stay home instead. no need to endure judgement of idiots. no need to turn into a jittering idiot myself. keep whole. stay in control. learn nothing. no advancement. no new interactions. minimal. now I'm an epsilon minus semi moron. just factory slave. mind is dying. hate them for it.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Gone

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:

Sweating, stiff back/neck, avoiding people or crowded places, paranoia, racing thoughts. Mine is quite mild as well, I don't get panic attacks or anything like that.

"Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained."
"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy"

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:03 AM
In Liquidation

Sweatiness, hot flashes, palpitations, trembling, weak legs, loss of appetite, diarrhea, stomach cramps, dizziness, lethargy.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:59 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Avoiding people, not talking, not making eye contact, nausea, feeling like I can't breathe

That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in

-Fiona Apple
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:10 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Feeling itchy, racing thoughts, stuttering, lots of fear for no reason, dizziness, cold sweat, lots kinds of avoidance mostly of people or crowded places trembling, shaking voice/arms/knees... And quite intense OCD everyday... These are most often ones...
More rare occasions can be something like panic attacks (or maybe something similar to that, at edge of panicking).

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:22 PM
SAS Member

My social anxiety doesn't look like I'm a shy person. It looks like I'm nervous moreso. I'll look into peoples eyes and then look away rather quickly, and then back. I noticed I have really unfocused eyes even when I'm not looking at a person but I do know that looking into someone's eyes is a little like looking into the sun. It's ok for people I don't know but then people I do it's like I've already created that sort of flighty look so I think it'd appear almost uncanny to make direct and consistent eye contact but I'm trying to get better at it each time. Now I look in the middle of their eyes or shift my gaze from one eye to the other and sometimes even at their forehead. If I am able to make direct eye contact sometimes it sets of nervous tics, like tapping my fingers under the surface of a table or tapping my fingers together. Also I think I'm fine at talking if someone else starts the conversation I just have so many weird things to say that I don't know sometimes what to actually open with, so sometimes I anxiously fidget and look around wildly waiting for someone to start a conversation. I must look like a maniac!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:15 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
I feel like my SA mainly presents in avoidance, because I avoid social situations whenever possible. I have problems with face-to-face, informal, social events, whether it's a big party or just casual chit-chat with a single person. Though it's usually worse the bigger the group is. My mind just goes blank and I can't think of anything to say. If the anxiety gets bad enough I'll get a dry mouth, sweaty palms, trembling and difficulty articulating. Weirdly enough, I'm usually okay with more formal or professional interaction, like discussing class material with my peers at the university. And even worse than the concurrent symptoms is the aftermath; I'll think about the encounter for hours or sometimes days, going back over it in my head and berating myself mentally. I am my own worst enemy after all. I'll also feel mentally exhausted after even light socialization, and need time alone to "recharge." And eye contact makes me uncomfortable, especially when it's with random strangers I pass on campus or whatever, so I'll always avoid it.

I also have Generalized Anxiety which means I'm pretty much always worried about something, and not just people. I'm usually very tense too. I also get insomnia, but the anxiety dreams are the worst because they're so realistic. I never get abstract dreams about falling or being chased or any of that; typically they involve me being forced back into my parents' religion, failing at or completely forgetting something important at school, or my car getting stolen or ruined. They always make me feel exhausted upon waking, feeling like I've been "running around" all night inside my head.

I've also got relatively mild excoriation disorder, or dermatillomania -- I pick at scabs or sores on my hands or arms. Nothing can calm my anxiety as effectively as picking, but I know it's a maladaptive coping mechanism so I try my best to resist, and it's worked for months or years at a time. I just recently started picking at a pimple on my wrist though, which disappoints me; I know I need to stop but the anxiety has been high due to the start of a new semester this week.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:37 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed
As I have learned one can have SA and feel comfortable performing in front of people. I think of it as no problem 1 to a thousand, it's 1 to 1 that's scary.

I performed Improvisation for 10years then began teaching it. This is where the Social Anxiety hurt me

I would prepare a lesson plan of principles to cover, exercises and games to do. It was meant to start in one spot and each workshop built on previous. Normal stuff. But I would do that, look it over and spot all the places some unknown (likely fictitious) student would find fault with or be bored with and I would change things, that would continue for days including the day of the workshop till I had what felt like a bulletproof plan. The issue was always, the unknown person in my mind would never tell me what they found fault with or bored them or they didn't understand. I could explain everything we were doing and why it was important. But since they likely did not exist, they never challenged me. While some things in life that caused anxiety at first, were dispelled with repeated and successful experiences. Being a good teacher, having people thank me and tell me how good I was. Seeing the results of my influence in small shows I put on with my class, did nothing for my anxiety. Each workshop for the years I did them were filled with pre class anxiety starting about 4 days before. I never taught the same class. I imagine that now years later, if I taught again the same feelings would come up. I have other symptoms for other situations, but this was one I did not realize till discussing with my Psychiatrist. All the best
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 AM
SAS Member

Mine are like most others, it's mainly intense sweating and blushing. It does also start to scramble my thinking a bit, but what I have realised (thanks to reading books on the matter) is just how much worse I make it because I resist/fight the sensations. I still have this mindset that I really don't like the sweating or blushing so I try to hide it/fight it. That makes the situation 10x worse and what I'm now trying to focus on is not fighting it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:12 PM
Spectacular Member

Jitteriness, palm sweating, heart palpitations, and stuttering/stumbling over my words and sometimes just a blank mind.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
I feel hot, all my senses heighten, i feel my chest caving in.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 PM

Language: English
I start to feel out of place with the social environment, as if everyone around me are tuned in the same awareness, thought, and mentality. Like my inner subconsciousness from previous social interaction telling me that the people aren't aware of one another intentions, and its warning me about the people not in their own mind.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

High Authority NSA Software Engineers "We feed the Supercomputers knowledge on how to manage citizens sleep, sex, accicident, dream, health, interaction, job, education, lottery, living condition, murder, suicide & terrorism throughout the day each day."
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:47 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

Not talking, not much eye contact, not really looking at people, putting my hand over half of my face, pretending to scratch itches and playing with any jewellery I’m wearing or my nails if they’re long.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page