What age is too late to overcome shyness ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What age is too late to overcome shyness ?

like ghe title says, what age is too late or too diffuclt to overcome shyness ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:17 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Is that kind of age even exists? Didn't knew that...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
71.4 years exactly.

I would imagine so long as you can find opportunities to overcome shyness, I suspect there's never a time you can't overcome it. Considering that I'm 23, I don't really know. I don't think there's a point at which someone should give up, if that's what your asking. However, sometimes I feel like I already have. I don't necessarily describe myself as shy though. I never really liked the word for some reason, although it's probably still an accurate description.

Life's Wack
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
71.4 years exactly.

I would imagine so long as you can find opportunities to overcome shyness, I suspect there's never a time you can't overcome it. Considering that I'm 23, I don't really know. I don't think there's a point at which someone should give up, if that's what your asking. However, sometimes I feel like I already have. I don't necessarily describe myself as shy though. I never really liked the word for some reason, although it's probably still an accurate description.
Shy is way better than socially awkward or anxious
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

i don't know if there is a specific age but i was always told that if you dont overcome it early, it gets more diffuclt as you grow
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven4601 View Post
i don't know if there is a specific age but i was always told that if you dont overcome it early, it gets more diffuclt as you grow
As long as you're alive, but you can maintain all the preserved reactions from your experiences to understand your awareness better than before as a result of training your mind to interpret the way you feel in situations or discomfort with how people behave and communicate. Its not about overcoming the awareness, it's about how well you're able to train your mind to take charge of your own awareness in situations.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

High Authority NSA Software Engineers "We feed the Supercomputers knowledge on how to manage citizens sleep, sex, accicident, dream, health, interaction, job, education, lottery, living condition, murder, suicide & terrorism throughout the day each day."
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
If we're talking social anxiety then I'm not sure it can ever truly be overcome but maybe it can go to a manageable level. I think it's a lifetime process with ups and downs.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:45 PM
bipolar

There's no age that I can see. It will vary most likely throughout your life anyway - sometimes a bit better, sometimes worse. So either way you're going to be dealing with it, it won't matter how old you are.

I'm 60 - in some ways it's worse now than when I was young. In some ways it's better, it's sort of complicated.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:50 AM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
I agree. The older you get, the less likely it becomes you ever overcome it. I would say after you hit 20 it will become harder every year. After 30 (my case) it becomes desperate

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
There's no age that I can see. It will vary most likely throughout your life anyway - sometimes a bit better, sometimes worse. So either way you're going to be dealing with it, it won't matter how old you are.

I'm 60 - in some ways it's worse now than when I was young. In some ways it's better, it's sort of complicated.
please tell us young folks, in what ways is it harder?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:15 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
34 and have given up all trials and hope of loosing shyness

Scared, Depressed, anxious and kind off traumatized person
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post
If we're talking social anxiety then I'm not sure it can ever truly be overcome but maybe it can go to a manageable level. I think it's a lifetime process with ups and downs.
What do you mean ? You mean not anyone with shyness has s.a ? i thought they are all the same
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:21 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean ? You mean not anyone with shyness has s.a ? i thought they are all the same
Social anxiety is basically shyness on steroids.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:08 AM
SAS Member

The sooner you overcome it the better. As a child or teenager would be the best time to solve it before it negatively affects your job outlook, dating prospects and ability to make friends. Unfortunately most people don't get help or realize they have the problem until they are adults and have already experienced problems from social anxiety.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Totally agree-- I say start working on it as a teenager because if you let it go unchecked as an adult it'll hinder you from doing things like working and living on your own.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:51 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Yeah I think it ties into our personality-- You can't change your personality you will be who you are. You can tweak it to some degree but were all different for a reason. Its okay if youre a bit quieter than most not everyone needs to be extroverted.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Social experimenter

Quote:
like ghe title says, what age is too late or too diffuclt to overcome shyness ?
It's too late by the time you become homeless for a second time and wonder why something so trivial caused you to squander opportunities and allow people to take advantage of you in the marketplace.

complexity is at the root of insanity
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:13 PM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I feel like I couldíve recovered some self esteem & confidence in my social skills
if I had be working on them in my early 20ís but late 20ís/30ís people expect you you have grown out of any struggles or insecurities like that and donít have the patience for your learning curve if youíre trying to sort it as you get older. At this point all the habits that are detrimental have been ingrained and reinforced since high school ended
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Social experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
I feel like I could’ve recovered some self esteem & confidence in my social skills
if I had be working on them in my early 20’s but late 20’s/30’s people expect you you have grown out of any struggles or insecurities like that and don’t have the patience for your learning curve if you’re trying to sort it as you get older. At this point all the habits that are detrimental have been ingrained and reinforced since high school ended
Don't be so pessimistic! If you spend time around enough different people you'll see how under-developed everyone is in some area or another. Everyone has a lifetime of their own experiences. Even super successful people may lack 'street smarts'. Rich people might not know how to take care of their bodies. Super serious people don't understand wit. Popular people may not understand love. Whatever the situation, everyone has a blind spot. The idea is to learn to better yourself as you experience different situations under different circumstances. I will say this though, WHO you spend time with is also very important. They need to challenge you and have some value to add. Spend your time around idiots and you'll become more idiotic. Spend time around close-minded people and you'll find your world start to shrink. Personally I can't stand dummies so I just hone my skills at putting them in their places and insist on keeping them completely out of my personal life.

complexity is at the root of insanity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page