Were you hyper and crazy as a kid and did you have a lot of friends also? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Were you hyper and crazy as a kid and did you have a lot of friends also?

as a kid i was very overactive, though not exactly sociable and in retrospect i think this was my way of dealing with the anxiety of social situations. does that sound reasonable? however i would frequently hang out with friends, almost every day and i got energized being around them. though periodically i would have these mood swings and desire to be alone.

can anyone here relate to any of the aforementioned? do you think you've always been introverted despite exhibiting the behavior of a normal crazy kid, or do you think you BECAME introverted from being an extrovert

I'm REALLY curious to hear the experiences of those who can relate to this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:31 PM
JMX
SAS Member

I remember having quite a few friends when I was a little kid. I even had two female friends, which I don't know how I got....one of my parents must've gotten me to become friends with them. I had quite a few friends throughout elementary school as well, mainly because it was a small school so everybody was pretty close. I think I was rather popular towards 5th/6th grade. Then when middle school started, I didn't know anybody there, and that's pretty much when my SA started to kick in, because I wasn't used to being around people I didn't know.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Trapped

Well, in primary school I had a couple of close friends (6 of em) I played with a lot, at least serveral times a week. Kinda drifted apart once highschool started.
I've always been introverted, I wasn't all hyper or anything, they kind of pulled me in. I kind of miss those times, all worry free =/

What do I really want...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
SAS Member

I've always been shy, but in primary school (up till the age of 10), i was well liked.. always chatty and weird.. the other kids thought i was funny and i loved having a laugh. Primary school was so brilliant. When i joined high school when i was 11, i hardly spoke. I think this was because i find it hard to talk to new people. I spent most of my time in high school alone... always the quiet kid at the back of the class..high school was hell. That's when life got dull.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
kos
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira90125 View Post
as a kid i was very overactive, though not exactly sociable and in retrospect i think this was my way of dealing with the anxiety of social situations. does that sound reasonable? however i would frequently hang out with friends, almost every day and i got energized being around them. though periodically i would have these mood swings and desire to be alone.

can anyone here relate to any of the aforementioned? do you think you've always been introverted despite exhibiting the behavior of a normal crazy kid, or do you think you BECAME introverted from being an extrovert

I'm REALLY curious to hear the experiences of those who can relate to this!
I could have wrote that first paragraph myself. I remember in grade 10 we were doing an assignment were you have to describe certian traits of the person you were paired up with. My partner said I had a certain "energy" that was unique. I think thats how I deal with my anxiety. Being energitic and I tend to over exaggerate as well to add to the excitement of a story or certain situation.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
SAS Member

I was never hyper but I had friends in primary and was really happy. I wish primary just went on to high school with the same group of people, same school. In high school I was never comfortable with the transition, my best friend dropped me (he found people of his own ethnic group) and I didn't like most people there. I remember in year 7 I tried talking to some new kids there but the conversations never went anywhere so for that first year I pretty much sat by myself.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
jer
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira90125 View Post
as a kid i was very overactive, though not exactly sociable and in retrospect i think this was my way of dealing with the anxiety of social situations.

That's exactly how I was as a kid and growing up. and I would be considered the eccentric one.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM
SAS Member

I was ultra hyper and popular in my private school in elemetary. Then I moved to public school and that was a whole new ballgame, because apparantly the private school I went to was really low end with people who were half retarded, and my complete utter lack of social skills REALLY hurt. What hurt the most was my idea that "I didn't have to fit in" since in a public school there were going to be hundreds of kids and I was BOUND to find someone like me. Didn't happen, damn that stupid cultural "be yourself" motto, screwed me over in life, quite literally.

Well from mid school onwards I was continually harassed, though I grew out of being a creep in 11th grade, I was still a social outcast. So basically I was a social outcast my whole life, except freshman year, when I was hanging around with a frat and doing more stuff than what other kids at my college did. Then I commuted and now I'm back on campus with no friends. Whooooo!

I'm at peace with it though, I have had bad luck, I am not privileged. Other people may see me as privileged but I am not, just like people who grew up in poverty, I grew up with a socially retarded childhood. I can get over it though, just how people can get out of poverty.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
herp derp

My younger years pretty much reflect how I am in right now. I was always quiet but when I am around people who I am comfortable with, I am quite a normal person - even a little loud and hyper sometimes (not so much anymore).
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
My younger years pretty much reflect how I am in right now. I was always quiet but when I am around people who I am comfortable with, I am quite a normal person - even a little loud and hyper sometimes (not so much anymore).
I'm like this to a lesser extent, but still I can't fully socialize with people who I'm uncomfortable around or people who "intimidate" me. Its all just an emotional thing to me I guess, for the longest time I thought it was lack of social skills, but it really wasn't, it was all emotional... I know there's a way to fix this hmmmmm....
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Done with SA

I've always been hyper and crazy, I just knew when I could be and when I couldn't be. Around other people and even my family, I was good, silent, and obedient. When I was by myself, with a friend (which was really rare), or at my grandmother's house, I couldn't sit down for more than 2 minutes and my mouth was always running. Probably because I actually had someone listening to me and taking me seriously.

We used to have a karaoke machine in the house and whenever I was alone, I'd break it out and rock out all over the living room. I miss that freedom.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 PM
SAS Member

I wasn't very talkative but I did have friends and we would tear around the house and the yard like wild animals and have fun like regular kids. The problems really started in high school, when the depression hit and I really withdrew into myself, becoming much more quiet and reserved.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. - Oscar Wilde
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Soul View Post
I've always been hyper and crazy, I just knew when I could be and when I couldn't be. Around other people and even my family, I was good, silent, and obedient. When I was by myself, with a friend (which was really rare), or at my grandmother's house, I couldn't sit down for more than 2 minutes and my mouth was always running. Probably because I actually had someone listening to me and taking me seriously.

We used to have a karaoke machine in the house and whenever I was alone, I'd break it out and rock out all over the living room. I miss that freedom.
If believe people aren't taking you seriously, they won't take you seriously.

Though if you believe people are taking you seriously (with all your heart), they will take you seriously. A lot of this is non verbal stuff, I mean I could tell you a whole load of tricks for people to respect you and be amicable, but believing that what you are saying is worthwhile with all your heart will instantly transform your non-verbal to a good state. And you will be made if people don't take you seriously, because what you are saying is important, why aren't they taking it seriously! (Once you get mad with someone for not taking you seriously, they will usually take you seriously :P )

I think what you are experiencing is a self esteem thing and not a SA thing.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Done with SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuprising View Post
If believe people aren't taking you seriously, they won't take you seriously.

Though if you believe people are taking you seriously (with all your heart), they will take you seriously. A lot of this is non verbal stuff, I mean I could tell you a whole load of tricks for people to respect you and be amicable, but believing that what you are saying is worthwhile with all your heart will instantly transform your non-verbal to a good state. And you will be made if people don't take you seriously, because what you are saying is important, why aren't they taking it seriously! (Once you get mad with someone for not taking you seriously, they will usually take you seriously :P )

I think what you are experiencing is a self esteem thing and not a SA thing.
Thank you, but I'm pretty used to my family not taking me seriously. I've been mad, been stern, been serious as could be and it doesn't help. But thank you for the tip.
As for strangers, they generally take me seriously enough. I'm not worried about them.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:43 PM
SAS Member

As a kid, I had very few friends (usually, just one at a time). I was very non-hyper. I would rather sit around and read than go and play sports or run around. I did like to play pretend though, I had a very active imagination.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Permanently Banned

Yes. Extremely hyper and quite popular between 10 and 13, because that was the peak of my hyperactivity. Looking back, I think I was hypomanic. Friends / classmates would say I had a split personality, sometimes really quiet and shy, other times (most of the time) really loud and crazy. Now I've settled into the quiet / shy part of my personality most of the time.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Haters to the left.

Yeah, from the ages of 5-8, I was a very outgoing, talkative, silly child and actually had real friends. I would often get punished for talking in class even, which happened a lot when I was in first grade. I felt like my teacher didn't like me at all, and fellow classmates thought I was an odd girl who talked and acted funny...I was often made fun of for that and I didn't like that at all. I felt embarrassed, so the following year, (new teacher, new grade) I just didn't talk at all. I remember when I was in the third grade, I challenged myself to not say a single word to anyone that day. From then on, I was known as "that quiet girl". :/

Where am I going and why am I in this little handbasket?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:51 PM
SAS Member

Well when I was a kid I was practically mute, yet I still had a couple close friends. Around them I would get extremely hyper and crazy, as though I had to make up for the lack of talking I did all day. I was always very shy as soon as we went out in public or anyone else was around though.

I did feel a lot more social back then though. I was really sad that my shyness was holding me back. I felt like I had a great personality and no one knew it. I wanted to meet people and get out there. I've changed a lot in my thinking now.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Aspergian

I wasn't ever hyper though I was always quiet and had few friends because of it, pretty much been that way all my life except that now a days I have no friends.

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Boredom is Killing Me

I never really was crazy or hyper but was much more outgoing a few year ago then I am now. Thoughout junior high and highschool I hang around with the same group of friends almost everyday. Use to hang out with a group of like 20 each day (was good friends with 5 or 6) play basketball walk around town etc... Now I am lucky if I can find a friend to hang around with and spend most days alone.

Your not a failure if you still have something to prove.
Keep your head up and hope for the best, Things will hopefully start going your way

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page