Weird stuff we do because of SA - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Weird stuff we do because of SA

In 10th grade I was to scared to ask for a ride home or ride the bus so I walked 5 miles in 110 degree heat until someone I knew finally picked me up.

In 11th grade I didn't want a ride home with a peer from a game (my mother didn't have time to pick me up and told me to get a ride) so I lied that a friend died so she would come get me. I even fake cried and the whole bit. (Yeah she knows the truth now).

I was dropped off by my parents to go to a football game but I was by myself (no friends) and hid behind the high school until the game was over and pretended I went to my "friends"...I made up a huge story about the people I sat with and the score and everything. (this happened a couple of times for different events)

I would lie that I went to lunch with a friend when I actually came home to eat and be by myself. With the lunch thing>>I also ate lunch in the bathroom in 9th grade (I risked the germs instead of sitting alone).

Yeah I know that is freaking strange. I don't lie or do stuff like that anymore luckily.

What is everyone else's stupid behaviors because of SA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Wow I have to say that really helped to get some of that off my chest, no one knows all these things except for me.
post #3 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 PM
SAS Member

Eat alone in the library instead of the cafeteria. Then I got caught and just fasted the entire day at school from then on.

I would take the long way back to my locker to avoid the main hallway.

Sometimes I'd feel left out with a group of friends, so I would just get up and leave for home without telling them. I'm sure that made me look much weirder.

My best friend used to park his car in my driveway because I lived close to school. As soon as school let out, I'd rush home to get there before him so I could hide and avoid being asked to go out. Sometimes he'd come into the house calling my name, looking to find me, but he never did. (Didn't check behind the couch).

My first year in college, my roommate used to go home on the weekends (thank god, he was so social), so I used to lock the door not leave my dorm until Sunday night. On Sunday, I would get on my bike and ride to the student center where I could do homework and avoid running into him when he came back.

I used to always go to bed early in the dorms, too. Everyone on my floor thought I was weird for that.

I'm not who I have in memory
Nor who is in me now.
If I think, I self-dismember.
If I believe, there is no end.

post #4 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM
SAS Member

In my senior year of high school, I hid outside the emergency exit of the school library during pep rallies. I would wait until I didn't hear anyone walking down the stairs on the lower level and then slip out the backdoor and walk home.

I got dropped off at school and alot of days simply went in the entrance door, walked all the way down the hall, and straight out the back door and then slowly walked home lol. I missed alot of school especially my junior and senior years.

I would avoid eating lunch during my senior year in school so that I wouldn't have to find someone to sit with or have to talk to anyone in the cafeteria. I sat in the library during lunch and tried to read boring philosophy books to pass the time.

Once I drove 3 friends of mine to the mall and we were walking around in the mall. I was having a misable time while my 3 friends were having a blast chatting away. It got to the point I felt so uncomfortable because of my silence that I couldn't take being there any longer and ran off while they weren't looking. I felt like they wouldn't care if I was gone anyway because it was like I wasn't there. I ended up walking 10 miles at night to get home. I was freaking out the whole way thinking I was crazy for leaving. I left my car there in the mall parking lot but I had let my friend drive and he had my keys. So he called the next day and said I could pick my car up at his house.

I worked at a data entry job for 2 months and one morning as soon as I got dropped off there I simply could not go in the elevator to work. I had a mild anxiety attack and just took off. I had my wife pick me up and said I couldn't take it anymore.

Yeah I definately avoid situations when I have anxiety. It's been a defining feature of my life...even now.
post #5 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversad
I got dropped off at school and alot of days simply went in the entrance door, walked all the way down the hall, and straight out the back door and then slowly walked home lol. I missed alot of school especially my junior and senior years.
Haha, I did that a lot too.

I'm not who I have in memory
Nor who is in me now.
If I think, I self-dismember.
If I believe, there is no end.
post #6 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:07 PM
SAS Member

When I was in dorms, I'd piss in empty bottles because the hallways was always full of people and I couldn't get up the courage to walk thru them to get to the bathroom. Sigh

just one more song to slay this earth
and i can't explain myself just what it's worth
it was all i had, but not all i'd need
and i can't escape the fact that i still bleed
post #7 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:11 PM

i'd leave early form school a lot too - esspecaily to avoid physical education, as its called here.
i did a lot of avoiding..camps,school formals etc..i didn't bother making up excuses for my avoidance like the original poster though - id just point blank refuse!
post #8 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:14 PM
SAS Member

I did the whole cafeteria disappearing act, too. Only in my junior and senior year, though. I would go to the library and sit in a chair until it was time for the next class. During my senior year, I would skip days where I had to give reports or presentations (or merely read orally). Can't stand any of it at all.

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
post #9 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion
In high school I skipped lunch completely and went to the school library instead.
that what i did to
post #10 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
In high school I skipped lunch completely and went to the school library instead.
We weren't allowed to do that in my school. We had to sit in the cafeteria during our lunch period, even if we didn't eat anything.
post #11 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:57 PM
SAS Member

Now rather than going to the library during lunch as in high school, I sit at my desk at work during lunch and do things on my computer. I avoid the cantina area like the plague and never go out to lunch with other employees.

Apparently, I haven't progressed much socially since high school.
post #12 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Bon
Walking in the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null
Quote:
We weren't allowed to do that in my school. We had to sit in the cafeteria during our lunch period, even if we didn't eat anything.
I went to the library as well.

Null, it wasn't popular at my school, they were just so happy that I actually made it to school (I skipped a lot) they let me go to the library;-)

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
post #13 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
SAS Member

I used to walk around with my hand over my mouth in eighth grade. Whenever I smiled or laughed, my hand would immediately come to my face. I was insecure about smiling (I think) but strangely unaware of how odd it made me look. It was a really strange habit. I think growing my hair long helped me to ultimately stop doing that.
post #14 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

There was a panoramic picture day for my senior year in school (a tradition) and I checked out, I went home and acted like school was out early that day.

Also, one time a friend invited me to a farewell meeting for some foreign exchange students that were staying at her house. When my mom dropped me off I felt completely fine until I walked in the door I realized how my being there was so stupid and pointless so I immediately whipped right around and called my brother to come pick me up. I actually hid behind a grassy hill so my friend wouldn't see me.

Man, it feels good to let all of these lies and crap go. But at the same time I realize how much I really do have a problem; I will never deny the fact I have SA again!
post #15 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 PM
SAS Member

I always went to the library during lunch too.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21.../Fluffy/f2.png
my dog is the only one who seems to understand me... maybe since she doesn't speak
post #16 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:54 PM

I won a writing award in 10th grade. Nothing super special, just a school contest. There was supposed to be an awards ceremony in our school library. All the parents would also be there. I couldn't even step foot in the library because I didn't want to go in alone so I sat out front waiting for my parents. Over an hour went by, I knew my parents were probaby already inside but I was too scared to go in, so I hung out until I ran into someone else who had been at the ceremony. My parents were livid with me. They didn't understand why I wasn't there. The next day in my English class, my teacher even yelled at me and said it was a big deal that I wasn't there and that my poor parents had to stand up and accept the award, but I just couldn't say anything to him.
post #17 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:46 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFury
When I was in dorms, I'd @#%$ in empty bottles because the hallways was always full of people and I couldn't get up the courage to walk thru them to get to the bathroom. Sigh
I would have been tempted to do that...if i didn't have a roomate hehe. Well, I've never gone that far, but i have peed in containers in my room because I didn't want to talk to my brother in the hall.
post #18 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:10 PM

I feel tearful reading this thread because it triggered memories. ( but I'm glad that it is cathartic for you bronco)
I have been through the same experiences of avoidance where I felt horribly alone and bewildered by unexplainable fear.
I took drastic actions to avoid social situations.
I can take comfort now that my SA experiences are not that strange because you guys went through them too. You guys are my kindred friends.

I skipped lunch and hid out in the library even though my stomach growled loudly in protest
I would sit in bathroom stalls until break was over.
I hid in the bathroom when trick or treaters knocked on the door.

Hugs to everyone!

sorry for the maudlin post
post #19 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 PM

Re: Weird stuff we do because of SA

[quote="bronco028"]In 10th grade I was to scared to ask for a ride home or ride the bus so I walked 5 miles in 110 degree heat until someone I knew finally picked me up.

I was dropped off by my parents to go to a football game but I was by myself (no friends) and hid behind the high school until the game was over and pretended I went to my family...I made up a huge story about the people I sat with and the score and everything. (this happened a couple of times for different events)
[/quote
post #20 of 1891 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFury
When I was in dorms, I'd @#%$ in empty bottles because the hallways was always full of people and I couldn't get up the courage to walk thru them to get to the bathroom. Sigh

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page