Was anyone else an INCREDIBLY anxious kid? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Was anyone else an INCREDIBLY anxious kid?

For a long time when I was younger, I was terrified of nearly everything and I HATED trying new things. For example, I would only watch the same 5 movies over and over (mainly Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, and 101 Dalmatians because for some reason those specific movies were some of the only ones that didn't make me incredibly anxious), and I refused to watch any Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network shows (my mom didn't let me have cable for most of my childhood so it's not like I could watch them anyway lol). Anything fast paced with wacky animation and jokes just really overwhelmed me for whatever reason. I remember catching the Spongebob movie on TV at my great aunt's house once as a little kid and it just making me so incredibly anxious and I had to look away from the screen. Probably a symptom of mild autism or something but I haven't been professionally diagnosed. I also would have anxiety attacks at the thought of going to the movie theater. I was absolutely TERRIFIED of them.
Also going to the doctor or the dentist were my biggest fears (and still are), every time I had a check up as a little kid I remember worrying that I would be diagnosed with something really bad and my mind would constantly race the entire time and I would feel sick from anxiety. I really think I was too young to be thinking about stuff like that.
I was also the shyest kid you could imagine. I was homeschooled, but I went to a lot of special classes for homeschoolers and a homeschool co-op thing at one point and I would literally NEVER say a single word to anyone and I never had conversations with any of the kids. My shyness and social anxiety got worse and worse as I got older and now I honestly can't stand to be around anyone at all.
I eventually grew out of the whole "being scared of every movie and TV show ever" thing (in fact I LOVE weird cartoons now, thanks to my mom sheltering me there's still MANY popular ones I haven't seen but whatever) but my anxiety in general has just got even worse as I got older and I can barely even leave the house now. Can anyone else relate? Was anyone else THIS unbelievably nervous over small things growing up? Because I feel pretty alone in this.

Hope is the only thing stronger than fear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:29 PM
SAS Member

Yeah it's strange reading about people's different experience with anxiety. I wasn't an anxious child at all.

Edit: You're definitely not alone though, I'm pretty sure many other people here were probably similar to how you were.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:18 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
Not when I was a kid. I have never been confident, but I wasn't abnormally anxious. But I'm an incredibly anxious adult. I can't cross the street without being afraid. And I get panic attacks watching movies in the comfort of my own home.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:10 AM
SAS Member

I am really anxious going to crowded places(stores, movie theaters, etc.) I won't even go into the board room at work when they are having a pot luck thing. Just too many people in there. One time I was going to go in there to tell someone that was retiring my good byes but couldn't do it due to all the people in there. I have been like this since my teen years. I don't even like eating out which usually is only once per year due to my supervisor takes us out for Christmas which is coming up pretty soon.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
Yeah. One of my earliest memories was having a meltdown (probably an anxiety attack) at a train station worrying about missing our train. I was about 4.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 02:12 PM
formerly Shawn81

Language: English
Very. I never had good social skills. When I was very young, my mom hypothesized that I might suffer from occasional asthma attacks. I never had asthma. It wasn't until my early 20s when my anxiety became disabling that I realized that I had been having panic attacks starting in at least early grade school.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:09 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
yes

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
I was very anxious as a kid. There was one time when I was around 6 or 7 (maybe, it was a long time ago). My tooth fell out when I was on the playground and my mouth started bleeding. My friend told me I should go see the nurse, and I begged her not to tell. I don't remember why. I was just afraid.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Well, I was anxious, but it wasn't that bad in childhood as it is now... Now it's way much worse and it is especially school's (both elementary and high) fault...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

everyone being like "no not at all I wasn't until adulthood" gee thanks that made me feel a whole lot better

Hope is the only thing stronger than fear
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:25 PM
SAS Member

As a kid I didn't know it was anxiety. I spent a lot of time away from school and avoiding situations because I felt "sick".
Now I'm an adult I often question that knowing what it is actually makes things any easier.
At times it just feels like knowing makes me focus on it more and it becomes more "real". But the realness doesn't seem to make it any less elusive.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:32 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah, though it fluctuated based on environment. I was sort of diagnosed unofficially with selective mutism by my brother's psychologist in school (it ended up being a footnote on his report.) I have some sensory processing issues too but never so much that it ruined the experience or made me avoidant of cinemas.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Moron

Yes. Growing up with a violent alcoholic parent will do that.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
As a kid I didn't know it was anxiety. I spent a lot of time away from school and avoiding situations because I felt "sick".
Now I'm an adult I often question that knowing what it is actually makes things any easier.
At times it just feels like knowing makes me focus on it more and it becomes more "real". But the realness doesn't seem to make it any less elusive.
That's actually right... I didn't even knew what the heck was all that thing either... I just knew that I'm not really feeling same as others, but I had no clue why...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:48 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Although I can't remember before age 3 or 4, I extrapolate that my anxiety must've been at 100% of the possible -- complete constant terror -- at the moment I was born. I'm very, very gradually calming down at a constant rate ever since. Getting used to the terror of being alive, I suppose, and perhaps by the time I die I'll be ready to deal with life.

At any rate, I didn't talk more than absolutely required (and not really audibly when required) from preschool all the way through university (and consequently didn't make any friends in that time). Also had a generalized fear of new things which I think could be my root anxiety, but instead of TV shows it manifested more in things like avoiding unknown foods -- or just new experiences in general. And even though I've been changed by time, I'm still afraid of change.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Changeless

My Mood: Worried
Yes. Definitely incredibly.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:26 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I hated going to primary school. It terrified me, all the other kids, just the whole place.

I used to follow my mum back out the gate after she dropped me off in the morning. Eventually they arranged for me to be dropped off in the head teacher's office, so there was no escape 😞

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page