Use Meditation and Yoga to overcome social anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed

Use Meditation and Yoga to overcome social anxiety

I have to share this information with my follow SAD sufferers that Yoga and Meditation are key to overcoming all anxiety's and fear. I suffered with the worst kind of SAD for many years, I literally never thought I could have a normal life of talking to others, overcoming loneliness etc. But After practicing Yoga and Meditation I have found a peace of mind that I never knew was possible. I feel so relaxed around people, I'm not nervous at all. I feel more creative, more energetic. I think most people will disregard Yoga and Meditation as a effective treatment because they simply don't want to expend their time and energy on something that may not work. People often go to one yoga class and think they know everything there is to know about yoga.. "It doesn't work.. I tried it". But I have to emphasize to you that to master Yoga and Meditation to such a degree that it begins helping you to overcome your insecurity's is no easy task. It takes many hours of near daily practice to get a taste of what these healing practices can offer you. So if you decide to try Yoga and Meditation as a treatment, please be patient and give it time to work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:35 AM
SAS Member

yes, it's effective if you do it every day
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:43 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Yes, meditation and yoga will cure your social anxiety -- unless of course your social anxiety is caused by low self-esteem, which is the case with most people who suffer from SAD.

But if you have close friends and family, and come from an upper middle-class family, then meditation and yoga will cure your social anxiety.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:23 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Well, it might help some.. It might not help others.
We have a bit of meditation in the martial art I practice, and I found it to help in some parts of the anxiety (more precisely, in calming down and clearing your mind)

I still think, though, that everyone needs to find what works for THEM, and instead of listening to others (for more than mere suggestions), they need to do what feels right for them.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
Dude, how do you meditate ? I've tried it tens of times and it's almost impossible for me to go into that state of mind.

I try to go remote quiet peaceful places, to focus on my deep diaphragm breathing, my body sensations, to let go of all the toughts or at least view them as just passing clouds and all other things, to be present in that place and time but I just can't do it. Been trying for over a year now. I know it's effective cause my friend sad it helped him a lot, and I know another person that said it has been cured of social phobia with meditation, she gave me some books that guided her and still nothing, I followed the steps written there and can't get in that state of mind. Books like Tao, by Osho and such.

Meditation has an opposite effect on me, when I try to do it my rumination goes through the roof and after 10 mins or so I have to stop it or else it begins to get painful even physically, like a really tight corset warped against my chest squeezing my internal organs to the point that it feels like I can't breathe. The thoughts seem to get louder instead of just affecting me less.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:37 AM
SAS Member

i think it won't stop your anxiety completely but i guess it could reduce it if you do it often for a longer period of time
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeReloaded View Post
Dude, how do you meditate ? I've tried it tens of times and it's almost impossible for me to go into that state of mind.

I try to go remote quiet peaceful places, to focus on my deep diaphragm breathing, my body sensations, to let go of all the toughts or at least view them as just passing clouds and all other things, to be present in that place and time but I just can't do it. Been trying for over a year now. I know it's effective cause my friend sad it helped him a lot, and I know another person that said it has been cured of social phobia with meditation, she gave me some books that guided her and still nothing, I followed the steps written there and can't get in that state of mind. Books like Tao, by Osho and such.

Meditation has an opposite effect on me, when I try to do it my rumination goes through the roof and after 10 mins or so I have to stop it or else it begins to get painful even physically, like a really tight corset warped against my chest squeezing my internal organs to the point that it feels like I can't breathe. The thoughts seem to get louder instead of just affecting me less.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

For me maths and reading causes this.
Meditation only helps me calm myself when necessary (breathing exercises work the same, it's just a way of emptying the mind)

You need to find what is your thing. If it works for your friend, it might or might not work for you.

Try thinking what you find enjoyable doing. Something that is challenging to at least some degree, and that you can focus on deeply.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
Meditation can make you feel more aware of your thinking process and your internal emotions and that can be distressing for people if they've never looked inside before. When I first began to Meditate, I felt as though my Anxiety worsened, and I stopped Meditating. But something in me knew that there must be some benefit to Meditation otherwise so many people wouldn't big it up. So I went on a Meditation course for 10 days in complete silence, Meditating for about 10+ hours a day and by the end of that course I had my first breakthrough experience and just felt so at peace within myself, so much love for others and just pure joy radiated out of me. I set an intention that I would try to Meditate for at least 1 hour everyday for the rest of my life and I'm still doing it to this day. I cannot express how helpful Meditation has been for me and to think I could have been missing on these life changing benefits if I had decided to stop practicing. I hope you can somehow find a way to make Meditation work for you. I believe you would benefit from going on a 10 day course like I did. I'll leave the link for you encase you want to look into it.

https://www.dhamma.org/en/index

Please note that Vipassna Meditation has NOTHING to do with organized religion. I'm not trying to sell you anything, I'm just honestly sharing what has helped me to overcome SAD.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page