post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Tv is toxic for us

I think tv is toxic. What do u think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 PM
SAS Member

I agree! So much noise! And by noise I mean meaningless drivel. Even the news isn't news. It's what some guy claims is news. It was too much of an influence on my mood so I gave up the tv almost a year ago now. I also had another reason to give it up which gave me more determination (to prove my dad wrong.. ). I don't miss it at all now.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 PM
SAS Member

Absolutely toxic... I have an 11 year old and we discontinued cable last year and never regretted it. I have a roof antenna and a digi-box... but we rarely ever watch now... a few shows but very few... best thing we ever did.

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM
kos
SAS Member

You gotta filter through the stuff that you don't like. You don't like whats on? Change the channel. There are plenty of tv stations that aren't "negative". While I do think it is dumbing down the general population you have to have enough wisdom to know what is real and worth your time and what isn't. Television kicks ***.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM
:/

I don't watch tv very much. I find it's a good distraction; for me, it's better than having excessive thoughts and worrying. Maybe just watch the shows that you enjoy instead of getting rid of all your television habits. Mad Men, United States of Tara, and Stargate Universe are a few shows I enjoy to watch.

I prefer to get my news online. MSNBC and Foxnews are really annoying to watch with their biased reporting and poor fact checking. Though, BBC and PBS have some good documentary and news programs.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
kos
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caflme View Post
Absolutely toxic... I have an 11 year old and we discontinued cable last year and never regretted it. I have a roof antenna and a digi-box... but we rarely ever watch now... a few shows but very few... best thing we ever did.
Thats kind of sad. Other children will be taking about cartoons and he won't be able to relate. Can't you just monitor what he watches? I assume he is upset that he doesn't get to watch tv like the other children.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 PM
fellow human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsoul26 View Post
Does anyone here find tv too negative? I have found that when i dont watch tv im much less anxious and depressed. Recently i fell back into the habit of watching tv because i liked the company but i think this kind of company is toxic especially for people with SA. It seems all the media care about is getting the most depressing stories they can find and then they pump this **** into your lounge room 24/7.

Im pulling the plug on my tv. Ive had enough! Im sick and tired of watching power hungry politicians telling everyone they have all the answers, I have had enough of hearing about people being bashed raped and murdered. If its not about people being blown to bits in the Middle East its about natural disasters destroying everything in their path and if its not about natural disasters its about Paris ****ing Hilton. I dont care about superficial TV personalities lives. I understand the world is not perfect but i dont want to have a distorted view of reality because of what i see on TV. The internet is full of garbage like Myface and FaceSpace but at least you have more control over what you look at on the net. Anyway my point is i dont think Tv is good people struggling with anxiety disorders. Its an overload of negative information that we can do without.
I agree. I think we have enough to worry about in our daily lives. We shouldn't spend more time worrying about things that we have no immediate control over. I haven't watched TV for almost a year, and I feel like my attention span and concentration abilities have improved dramatically.

I grew up on television, and the only thing it taught me was that anything less than maximum entertainment for minimal effort was unworthy of my time.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
you have to have enough wisdom to know what is real and worth your time and what isn't. Television kicks ***.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
On me "toes"

I think it's the amount of TV, and the programs. I never watch the news, oh my gosh like you said, it's violent and depressing and the stations are all competing. And never violent shows.
I get my news from Jon Stewart .
TV can be for me, in light doses, a way of escapism, a break from my own life. I like to watch Comedy Central, and the Animal Channel. My little fallback is Desperate Housewives. The housewives have worse problems than I do.

Good for you, no harm done. I suggested that my husband and I do that; but we have Tivo DVR and set the Kidzone...try to monitor it but it's hard. We try to watch Kids Discovery Channel, Animal Planet. My 7 year loves Beakman's World and Electric Company.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 PM
SAS Member

Most the hour drama shows revolve around sexual affairs that are shallow and adultery. I can't watch that stuff. When Desparate Housewives started 2 of them were cheating and 1 had a cheating husband, it was horrible! I remember thinking Gosh whether you are religious or not, you got to feel really bad to watch this stuff. I hated Sex and the City, all the women were pretentious and whiners. On a lot of the sitcoms the men are the idiots On Reba, they make the men look really really dumb. On Everybody loves Raymond - Do they have a normal male character on that show? Uh, no?

Most of the good sitcom shows were ruined by occasional but regular sexual remarks that were over the top, like the Office and Scrubs and Seinfeld

Lifetime Network movie channel is mostly all garbage movies that give me nightmares. I do not like the choices of the women or how they are portrayed.

I watch public television actually at times.
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
Thats kind of sad. Other children will be taking about cartoons and he won't be able to relate. Can't you just monitor what he watches? I assume he is upset that he doesn't get to watch tv like the other children.

No - he is not upset... with the rooftop antenna and digi-box we still get 15 channels and don't pay for what we don't agree with. He still gets Saturday morning cartoons and he watches Word Girl and Electric Company and other PBS shows. We watch Reba and George Lopez. He has an 8 p.m. bedtime so nothing in prime time is missed because he rarely ever gets to watch it but on Friday night he gets to stay up and watch Star Trek or Stargate Atlantis... but we watch together and talk about what is questionable.
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM
SAS Member

^That's pretty good. I think kids can learn alot by the milder tv shows. They see situations that they never thought of before but the problem is that the answers of how the situations are dealt with are bad usually. If you have a parent watch and ask the child questions about what they think about it and the characters choices, that seems like the best thing. The milder shows can provoke discussion about topics.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 PM
SAS Member

I did like 30-something, and Next Generation Star Trek, and La Femme Nikita.
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I watch the Weather Channel - safe stuff. No blowing up things (except for the Weatherproof show which is pretty cool), or murders. Science stuff.

I pay too much for cable and don't watch it enough.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 PM
awake at midnight

Everything on television is designed to maximize sensationalism. Its purpose is to attract attention, anything that frightens, worries, confuses you. They sell attention. That's their business. They sell your eyeballs to companies for a price.

Ever notice how little information or rational debate they give to the problems of humanity? We are offered scenes of Haiti or other troubling conditions, but only given enough to make us upset and watch, never any information that might to any good. Its because the television only wants your attention. Their so-called reporters and journalists are nothing more than sideshow barkers or propagandists pushing their agenda for how to save the world.

Awakened at midnight
by the sound of the water jar
cracking from the ice
-- Basho (Hamill)

"People see me / I'm a challenge / to your balance" -- Wonder, Natalie Merchant
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 PM
SAS resident WAKWAK

I agree, I haven't had cable for almost 5 years now. I don't see myself ever wanting to get it again either. I still have a TV mostly for watching movies. I do like to watch some shows as well, so I will either buy the DVD's or most you can watch online.

Back when there was cable in my house I would never ever watch the news. If it was on I would leave the room. They just report on all the horrible things that are happening. I don't ever read news papers either. I always think of that quote from Bob Ross, "If you want sad things watch the news"

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Positively Revolting Hag

The only action my TV gets from me is when I hook it up with the PS2. Otherwise, nothing, except for when my sister watches crappy reality TV shows.
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:13 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikupoet View Post
Everything on television is designed to maximize sensationalism. Its purpose is to attract attention, anything that frightens, worries, confuses you. They sell attention. That's their business. They sell your eyeballs to companies for a price.

Ever notice how little information or rational debate they give to the problems of humanity? We are offered scenes of Haiti or other troubling conditions, but only given enough to make us upset and watch, never any information that might to any good. Its because the television only wants your attention. Their so-called reporters and journalists are nothing more than sideshow barkers or propagandists pushing their agenda for how to save the world.
Shockingly, I was pretty naive about this only up until recently. I always thought "maybe in China or something, but not Australia, we tell the truth/expose all." You start to realise that you can't trust anything unless you are there first hand to witness it.

Even now, it's so easy to be brainwashed by a well put-together news report, even though I know that it is sensationalised.
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Super Meditator

Yeah it does very little good, and possible a bit of harm.

I'm trying to watch less and less TV these days.

In particular, if you switch the news on just before going to bed after having a bad day, then it really depresses you even more.

Ireland.... rescuing sober people since the dawn of time

"with you dub i will never be 100% lesbian"

A Kiirby is fer life, not just fer Crimbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page