Telling jokes or making funny comments - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Telling jokes or making funny comments

There was one point in my life that I could actually tell jokes. I could make people laugh, and people liked me for that. Then it went away

Well, what happens now is that most of my one-liner funny comments come out in a very flat, super subtle way. So subtle that most people don't know that I am joking. To me, I am overacting, but no one can tell. I often have to say after I made a statement, "joke," to hear sighs of relief from the people I am around.

Oh, well! I guess I am not going to make a career in stand-up.

The one thing that really kills me is when I hear other people, the same ones who found me so uncomfortable, using my material, followed by roars of laughter. I guess it is all in the delivery.

So, are there any common experiences in great failures at delivering funny lines? I can laugh about it right now, but it sure feels horrible when everyone stares at you after making one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Rob

Re: Telling jokes or making funny comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoe
There was one point in my life that I could actually tell jokes. I could make people laugh, and people liked me for that. Then it went away

Well, what happens now is that most of my one-liner funny comments come out in a very flat, super subtle way. So subtle that most people don't know that I am joking. To me, I am overacting, but no one can tell. I often have to say after I made a statement, "joke," to hear sighs of relief from the people I am around.

Oh, well! I guess I am not going to make a career in stand-up.

The one thing that really kills me is when I hear other people, the same ones who found me so uncomfortable, using my material, followed by roars of laughter. I guess it is all in the delivery.

So, are there any common experiences in great failures at delivering funny lines? I can laugh about it right now, but it sure feels horrible when everyone stares at you after making one.
I hear ya completely on the stealing material thing.

But humor as you know isnt in the dialouge. Its in the character of the person delivering it.

What really makes people funny is thier status. Like if you have a nephew who will laugh at anything you say. They do it because your status is superior to thiers and they can feel it.

But a few quick rules on humor.

Humor is TENSION.

Never laugh at your own jokes because it removes the tension.
People laugh to remove tension. Its the same with seducing a woman. You create sexual tension than alleviate it with sex.

Create that tension. Than remove it a little bit.
This way next time you add more tension you can add on top of the old and its easier to keep people laughing. You remove all the tension when you say things like "i was kidding" or "it was just a joke".

Watch comedians. Write down their jokes, but more than that write some of your own. This isnt just to have stock material but more to develop your sense of humor. Do it for 90 days and it becomes natural to you.

The best book I ever read on humor is called Comedy Writing Secrets. It teaches you everything you need to know about why people laugh. Its a great book and helped me a lot.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:11 AM
SAS Member

It's very rare that someone laughs when I say something I think is funny.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Retired Enforcer

I seldom tell a joke but do make sarcastic comments.

It is ironic, how often one comes across an atheist with a "holier than thou" attitude.
---Novius---
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Bon
Walking in the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
It's very rare that someone laughs when I say something I think is funny.
I do on your written word, but of course, you wouldn't hear that;-)

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:45 AM

I tell the worst damn jokes seriously so so bad that they make people laugh cos of how stupid it is :P

A typical joke I find funny is:

Two sausages in a frying-pan one turns to the other and says:

"Phew its hot in here" the other says
"aaaaahhhhhh! a talking sausage"

>.<

Or I always find it weird the way people say things like:

"Theres nothing worse than a papercut"
"Theres nothing worse than biting an apple and finding a worm in it"

Jimmy Carr "Yes there is BEING RAPED"

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 09:45 AM
gone

Quote:
A typical joke I find funny is:

Two sausages in a frying-pan one turns to the other and says:

"Phew its hot in here" the other says
"aaaaahhhhhh! a talking sausage"

If I have any sense of humor it's really weird and off-kilter. Your joke reminds me a bit of a Simpsons episode. They're at a carnival and the Simpsons aren't around, and we see a hat-wearing horse talking to the carnival owner:

Horse: But I thought I was your main attraction!?
Owner: Uh, you are Humphrey, you are.

then later we Marge and Lisa meeting Bart and Homer:

Lisa: We just saw the most amazing horse!
Marge: He was wearing a hat!

That kind of stuff just cracks me up. Unfortunately I can't generate any humor on my own, since I've never made anyone laugh.

Another one I like is the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror sketch where they spoof King Kong:

Carl: I heard we're goin' to Ape Island
Lenny: Yeah, to capture a giant ape. I wish we were going to Candy Apple Island
other guy: Candy Apple Island? Whatta they got there?
Carl: Apes. But they're not so big

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Rob,

Thanks a lot for those recommendations! I am currently working on getting better at small talk, and I have noticed that I a lot of it consists in making funny remarks. Without fair small talk/ humor skills, I will have a hard time getting ahead at work.

So, I will start to write material as you suggested for the next 90 days, and I will check out that book that you recommended from the library.

Becky,

I agree with realspark: I often laugh at many funny remarks that you make on the board.

Amocholes,

Oh, sarcastic remarks are very easy for me. I normally saved those for when I am around my wife.

Tantalus and Zephyr,

We ARE members of the same community. I find these samples funny as well. I really nonsense humor.

So I like those jokes, especially the talking sausage one. I also like Monty Python a lot
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 02:39 PM
SAS Member

It is difficult when you're trying to remember a whole joke & miss out bits & pieces. My tip is to practise it first on yourself and then lay it on people.
With one-liners - well maybe the audience just don't get it or have no sense of humour. Also practise them on yourself maybe or unexpectedly on a friend.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr

Carl: I heard we're goin' to Ape Island
Lenny: Yeah, to capture a giant ape. I wish we were going to Candy Apple Island
other guy: Candy Apple Island? Whatta they got there?
Carl: Apes. But they're not so big
more hilarity:

Judge: In that case I sentence you to a lifetime of horror on Monster Island. (to Lisa) Don't worry, it's just a name.
Cut to Monster Island; Lisa and others are chased by fire-breathing monsters
Lisa: He said it was just a name!
Man: *gasping for breath* What he meant is that Monster Island is actually a peninsula.

and the undisputed classic:
Homer is walking around during a party, when a man approaches him
George: Hello, Homer! I'm George Harrison.
Homer: [incredulous] Oh my God. Oh my God!!!!! Where did you get that brownie?!
George: Over there. There's a big pile of them.
Homer: Ahhhhhhhhh! *runs off*
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 PM

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:55 PM

i know what you mean

I mostly like to be sarcastic. I'm not good at telling jokes like stories but teasing each other at work usually gets everyone laughing. I only tease those that tease me though... work is fun when everyone gets along. I have learned that people that tease you often like you, I used to be so uptight.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 PM

I think you're looking for their reactions when you tell the joke. Maybe the joke was funny, but they just didn't get it. You shouldn't blame yourself. Just continue to try, but just don't hit yourself over the head concerning their reactions...

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 05:52 PM
SAS Member

I believe an important part of delivering a good joke (or and humor) is confidence. Think about that scene where a comedian is bombing. They are portrayed as having no confidence... stumbling and struggling to deliver the joke.

Anxiety definitely messes with your confidence. A lack of confidence gives the impression of a lack of credibility. Ever laugh at some lame joke and then later ask yourself why you laughed (because it wasn't really funny)? It was probably because the joke teller told it convincingly.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Anxiety definitely messes with your confidence. A lack of confidence gives the impression of a lack of credibility. Ever laugh at some lame joke and then later ask yourself why you laughed (because it wasn't really funny)? It was probably because the joke teller told it convincingly.
That's a good point. I'll laugh at most 'jokes' people tell if they say them strongly and confidently. When I say a joke, because of the way I say it, they have no clue whether I'm serious or not, so I just get a weird stare, like, "is he that damn stupid" kind of look. That kinda makes me laugh also.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
ive always been good at telling funny one liners or comments. im horrible at telling jokes though. my verbal skills are underdeveloped and i have a deep spanish accent when i get anxious

but its a good feeling when people tell you youre funny

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page