Telephonophobia - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Confused

Unhappy

Telephonophobia

Telephone phobia (telephonophobia, telephobia)
I'm terrified of using the phone - of recieving calls, making calls, or even just hearing the phone ringing, and I even get anxious being near other people using a phone. I can't even talk to my family or boyfriend over the phone without anxiety before, during and after.

Anytime now I'm supposed to be getting a call from a college about an interview (don't even get me started on interviews either...) and I'm so worried about it; every time the phone goes off I think, 'oh no! it's them, what do I do, I can't deal with this' and then when it's not them I still take a while to calm back down again. Plus, it will be a complete stranger who I have to talk to as well, which makes it even worse.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any ideas of how to make using the phone less stressful? I've been finding it to become a bigger and bigger problem, especially as I need to do things by myself now instead of conning my mother into doing it for me like I always used to be able to do.

- The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes. But don't be afraid, you hold the most powerful weapon of all. -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Permanently Banned

I guess not quite as badly as you describe it but I do not like talking on the phone. Texting is no problem but I hate speaking. In fact I often do not answer but reply by text. I hate hearing the phone ring because I know it is probably somebody wanting something because nobody calls me for any other reason.

Sadly I have to live with my grandmother and her phone rings about 20-30 times a day. It's irritating as hell.

I know exactly what you mean about being anxious though. Nobody here answers the phone so you always have to leave a message and wait for them to call you back (and who knows how long that will take). I am always worried about when they will call back and if I am waiting on more than one call if they will call at the same time etc. I really wish they would text rather than call.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM
SAS Member

I have the same fear. When I'm on the phone it helps to have the TV on or have my internet up just to have something else be happening. I sometimes try to sit really relaxed when I'm on the phone, even if I'm not feeling relaxed. And if it helps, you can write out some kind of a script to follow along with if you need it. I can't leave messages without doing this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 02:37 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Yes, the phone sets off my SA the most. It stinks, too, because my job requires that I call people pretty much daily. Even though I've gotten better with practice, it is still very awkward and...well, stilted would be the best description.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM
SAS Member

I have to make quite a few phone calls for my job too. Most people can just pick up the phone and start talking, but I have to take a few seconds beforehand and think of exactly what I'm going to say. I have a lot more anxiety talking on the phone than I do in person. But like anything, the more you're exposed to it the easier it becomes.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Haters to the left.

I don't like speaking on the telephone either. Unless I know the person I'm talking to, I get really uncomfortable speaking for some reason. I once met a guy not too long ago from an online dating site who just loooooved to gab on the phone non-stop. I would sometimes avoid his calls just because I didn't feel like talking (well, listening) for an hour. I had about 6 phone convos with him in total. It was exhausting.

Where am I going and why am I in this little handbasket?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 PM
SAS Member

Even after therapy and medication, the phone continues to give me extreme anxiety. I can pretty much handle receiving a call, but making calls is very difficult. I'm sorry others suffer as well. It can really get in the way of day to day life.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

My Book Blog Reading Under the Covers
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Internet Addict

I can receive calls if I know the person calling(and even then I don't want to) , but making them, that's not gonna happen (unless it's like my mother and I KNOW it won't be out of her way, and that she'll pick up).

I pretty much hate the phone.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I still have this issue. Frustrating!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Currently Broken

I hate the phone too. It is much easier if I know the person I am calling or who is calling me, but pretty much my parents are the only ones I can talk to with no problem at all.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. ~George Smith Patton

A neurotic is a man who builds a castle in the air. A psychotic is the man who lives in it. A psychiatrist is the man who collects the rent. ~Jerome Lawrence

The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs. ~Charles de Gaulle
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Dum spiro, spero

I have this issue to some degree. If I dont know the person I become nervous and my anxiety shoots up. I hate hate hate answering the phone when its for a job interview.

Ive worked in a retail store for over 2 years and ive only answered the phone less than a handful of times and never made a page over the intercom. I would look for the co-worker even if it meant having to walk through out the entire store.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:23 AM
SAS Member

Yeah, not a big fan of it myself. Though it's improved over the years. Maybe if you want to improve this you can try dialing random numbers and having conversations with random people. It's best though to use a pay phone so they don't track your number down or anything It'll cost ya a few coins and you'll probably feel like an idiot when talking but trust me, it boosts you're confidence next time you pick up the phone.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Because I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steps View Post
Yeah, not a big fan of it myself. Though it's improved over the years. Maybe if you want to improve this you can try dialing random numbers and having conversations with random people. It's best though to use a pay phone so they don't track your number down or anything It'll cost ya a few coins and you'll probably feel like an idiot when talking but trust me, it boosts you're confidence next time you pick up the phone.
Lol I might have to do that! I am normally fine once I am on the phone, or if someone calls me, but ask me to make that phone call (especially an important one) and my spine turns to custard!

As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:09 AM
In my shiny bubble

I have telephonophobia. I will try to avoid phones at all costs. I much prefer to talk to the person face to face, by email or letter.

If the phone rings I'll either just ignore it, wait til it goes on the answer phone and then it it's like a family member, I may call the person back.

Sometimes if the phone rings, I feel gulity just ignoring it ringing, so i'll go to the phone and carry it whilst it's ringing to someone else to answer LOL

I am glad I don't have reallife friends when it comes to phones, because I won't have them keep ringing me all the time LOL

To the world you are one person, but to one person you are the world.

Some people make the world more special, just by being in it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed
yeah I am terrible with it. My stomach sinks everytime my boss says "just give them a call" or something. I usually either search frantically for an email I can use instead of come up with an excuse like I called them but there was no one on etc.

It's pretty bad and terrible for business as well. Sigh.

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Confused

Thanks for the replies guys. At least I'm not alone, but other people without SA rarely understand why I refuse to use the phone. :/

- The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes. But don't be afraid, you hold the most powerful weapon of all. -
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 AM
SAS Member

When the phone rings at my house, I almost always hesitate to pick it up. Thank God for the answering machine.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
When the phone rings at my house, I almost always hesitate to pick it up. Thank God for the answering machine.
I think I hate answering machines more than the phone. Hearing someone leaving a message through that distorted little speaker with all the obnoxious beeping.

For a while I only dealt with people who used text messaging and it was silent bliss. But now I am living with family and the damn house phone rings off the hook and the machine is constantly beeping and screeching. Sometimes I think being deaf would suit me better. But I am sure deaf people would hate me for saying that.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Solitary

I struggle with the phone. It's not as bad for me to answer the phone anymore, but I still can't call anyone. Perhaps because of how much I hate the answering machine. Tis annoying, I've been supposed to call my sister for probably 3 weeks now, I've fallen off meds because I didn't want to call the clinic, all kinds of fun things.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Obi-Wan Kenobi
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 AM
cmr
Prozac!

Same with me. I am only comfortable talking to close family, but relatives and strangers is so hard. I never talk to strangers actually on the phone, I'm so scared of getting a job because I don't want to have to talk on the phone. I did try the social phobics anonymous phone group once, but they were having technical issues and so I wanna try again soon.

End Factory Farming!

Open wide my door, my Lord, to whatever makes me love You more. - Aaron Weiss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page