Surgery to alleviate Social Phobia - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

Surgery to alleviate Social Phobia

many years ago (5ish) I read that there is a surgical procedure for SA which involves cutting some nerve ends in the spine or something. something brainstem-related i suppose. I think i recall that it had a 75% success rate?

Has anyone heard of this? Anyone undergone such surgery?

I'm making this thread without searching the net, obviously, because conversational style.

EDIT:
I found it. it was written in a swedish newspaper on 4 december 2004. The google translate is suprisingly good:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenska Dagbladet
A new method of treating social phobia, which can be used when neither therapy nor medication helps, is to block certain nerves adjacent to the spine. This has the effect of significantly reducing the symptoms. The blockade is done in a [keyhole] operation under general anesthesia. 80% of the people who tried this experienced an improvement

AIIOW3VERYT_8N÷5H47EE
the demon is the healer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:00 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Sounds kind of crazy. I think people experience anxiety in different ways and have different experiences that lead to their anxiety developing. Some people may be born that way, some people have been traumatized, and some people are just a bit socially weird which results in a lifetime of rejection and ridicule from others.

I believe it is an evolutionary reaction to not fitting in with the "tribe". It would have mean't certain death to our prehistoric ancestors if they were not socially well adjusted. It makes sense that being socially isolated causes mental problems.

I doubt cutting up nerves in your brain stem is going to lead to a life of acceptance, love, and friendship.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:17 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I remember reading something about surgery where they sever your amygdala or something like that. I would definitely have surgery if it would eliminate my SA, but I haven't heard of any.

... Hold on, let me check my calendar. Nope, nothing planned for the rest of the year.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
Whaaaaaat? That sounds crazy but awesome. Science is mad. Idk if i would because i can't imagine who i would be if i didn't have social phobia.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55
i can't imagine who i would be if i didn't have social phobia.
It's decently easy to simulate by being drunk or benzo'd, but I totally get what you mean.

I might have some notes saved on the surgery thing ... I'll come back to this thread in 11 hours or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:15 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Amygdala removal, as popularized by kurdishfella, does not target social anxiety specifically. The theory some people believe is that it can remove your ability to feel anxiety in general. But studies suggest that it only really removes some anxieties (mainly fears of things you should be afraid of), and actually causes social dysfunction: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ne...gdala-removed/

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
I don't think this is a good idea lol, probably just turn you into a bit of a retard tbh. And the thing with anxiety is that it's nit just the feeling of anxiety, it's the thoughts as well, removing some nerves isn't going to get rid of them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 AM
🐞 Moderator 🐞

I read about it to see what happens if the amygdala is removed, and it said it causes amnesia and a lot of other problems. It wouldn’t be worth it, and not having any fear at all could be dangerous and make people do things they shouldn’t like walk in traffic.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:44 AM

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Some people like this woman don't experience anxiety, fear and/or pain:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-47719718

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRITA Group CEO
In the future, everyone will design their own water
My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:55 AM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by versikk View Post
It's decently easy to simulate by being drunk or benzo'd, but I totally get what you mean.

I might have some notes saved on the surgery thing ... I'll come back to this thread in 11 hours or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
I still have Sa even when drunk.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
I still have Sa even when drunk.
Ok, have you tried benzos?

I have SA when drunk too, and when benzo'd, but i'm MUCH more gutsy and disinhibited.

I found it. it was written in a swedish newspaper on 4 december 2004. The google translate is suprisingly good:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenska Dagbladet
A new method of treating social phobia, which can be used when neither therapy nor medication helps, is to block certain nerves adjacent to the spine. This has the effect of significantly reducing the symptoms. The blockade is done in a [keyhole] operation under general anesthesia. 80% of the people who tried this experienced an improvement

AIIOW3VERYT_8N÷5H47EE
the demon is the healer
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:26 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
I wouldn't be surprised if some of our political leaders have had the emotional centers in their brains completely neutralized. Quite a few of them have some fairly interesting looking scars on their heads.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if some of our political leaders have had the emotional centers in their brains completely neutralized. Quite a few of them have some fairly interesting looking scars on their heads.
now that you mention it....

AIIOW3VERYT_8N÷5H47EE
the demon is the healer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page