Social Anxiety Is Almost Gone After Two Months Please Read It - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:35 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by razz View Post
Read the whole thing, it's called mindfullness man, nothing fancy, you've described your personal experience with it which was very enjoyable and insightfull to read. You often hear people say 'just be mindfull', yeah as if it's something natural like breathing, it is but at the same time it isn't, it takes practice. In eastern spiritual disciplines (buddhism, Zen, Taoism etc..mind you i'm NOT talking about religion here!!) it's called the 'natural state' and many great artist have experienced mindfullness and described it in literature. Not to overcome anxiety per se, but as something that they experience when sitting in a forest or looking out over a lake etc, your mind just quiets down naturally and it's easier to say to your mind 'shut up i'm enjoying myself now', right ?.You could say that mindfullness is the absence of anxiety, that's why 'natural state'.
It's easier to get mindfull when you practice meditation. I used to have severe SA for years, at some point I just stumbled upon these great eastern teachings and started to practice it, after some months people started saying 'wow your so different now', as in you're so sociable and that frown on your face has vanished, just people responding positively to me helped like nothing else.
me too. but i believe that the difference here is the relaxed part. as far as I know mindfulness only focus on being aware. not being relaxed while doing so

Your heart is free - have the courage to follow it.

Puzzled by this : www.socialanxiety.eu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:40 AM
SAS Member

Congratulations on getting better,everything I read makes sense.
post #43 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 02:20 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz View Post
Read the whole thing, it's called mindfullness man, nothing fancy, you've described your personal experience with it which was very enjoyable and insightfull to read. You often hear people say 'just be mindfull', yeah as if it's something natural like breathing, it is but at the same time it isn't, it takes practice. In eastern spiritual disciplines (buddhism, Zen, Taoism etc..mind you i'm NOT talking about religion here!!) it's called the 'natural state' and many great artist have experienced mindfullness and described it in literature. Not to overcome anxiety per se, but as something that they experience when sitting in a forest or looking out over a lake etc, your mind just quiets down naturally and it's easier to say to your mind 'shut up i'm enjoying myself now', right ?.You could say that mindfullness is the absence of anxiety, that's why 'natural state'.
It's easier to get mindfull when you practice meditation. I used to have severe SA for years, at some point I just stumbled upon these great eastern teachings and started to practice it, after some months people started saying 'wow your so different now', as in you're so sociable and that frown on your face has vanished, just people responding positively to me helped like nothing else.
Yep it is mindfulness that he is talking about, but I liked that his explanation was specifically tailored to SA and not just general mindfulness (only at the end did he get to that). This site if for people who suffer with SA so it's a pretty good writeup for beginning to tackle that issue.

post #44 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
it's happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
me too. but i believe that the difference here is the relaxed part. as far as I know mindfulness only focus on being aware. not being relaxed while doing so
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPat View Post
Yep it is mindfulness that he is talking about, but I liked that his explanation was specifically tailored to SA and not just general mindfulness (only at the end did he get to that). This site if for people who suffer with SA so it's a pretty good writeup for beginning to tackle that issue.
you guys have nothing to loose just try it it will help a lot
post #45 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 AM
SAS Member

So if you repeated "I'm not afraid of talking to the cahier." Over and over in your head before you talked to them, would your brain eventually believe it?
post #46 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
it's happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by digmeup View Post
So if you repeated "I'm not afraid of talking to the cahier." Over and over in your head before you talked to them, would your brain eventually believe it?
no. if you do that it will make things worst cause when you say i'm not afraid of talking to the cahier this mean subconsciously that you are afraid in the first place so there is a danger or threat and you will keep fueling and giving attention to this fear to get bigger and bigger .
what you need to do is allow this fear .
allow that you are afraid of talking to the cahier or that you will stutter when you talk and stay consciously relaxed and not panicked this subconsciously mean "I DONT CARE WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN" if you do that the fear will slowly start to die and you will no longer experience adrenaline rush (fight or flight) when you speak
post #47 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Ad Multos Annos!

Funny how I've figured this trick out by myself awhile ago. I didn't think of it scientifically. It just happened naturally according to my intuition, whereas I started forcing myself to pay less and less attention to what's going on around me that isn't my business, such as what people may think of me or how good am I performing in public places. I try as possible to only focus on my prime targets at any given situation and let go of the fearful and distracting thoughts. It helped alot, but the thing is, what's causing my anxiety is something I don't have. It isn't limited to being relaxed. It's much more difficult than that.

Great post by the way. Enjoyed every detail of it.

˝Girls can wear jeans, cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, 'cause it's okay to be a boy, but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading.˝ーͥ͑̄͊ͣͭ̌̏҉͏̴͇̬͇̳͈͓̲̩̖͈̭͎̼͔͓̠͞ͅÇ̨ͣ͌̐̉̋̔̏̅̐ͫͦͯ̏̀҉̨͚͎ ͎̪̥̪̱̜͙̭harlotte Gainsbourg

˝ وَمــاَ خَفُيــﮯَ گـــَانَ أَعْظَــمْـ ˝

˝Castigat Ridendo ℳores.˝

˝A Diabolo, Qui Est Simia Dei.˝˝Chacun Voit Midi À Sa Porte.˝

˝The most unpleasant feeling a man could ever experience is the morbid desire for the unreachable.˝—Perspicacious
post #48 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
it's happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacious View Post
وَمــاَ خَفُيــﮯَ گـــَانَ أَعْظَــمْـ ˝.
what are you hiding ?
post #49 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Ad Multos Annos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladeen View Post
what are you hiding ?
What lol.. I don't know what you mean by that. You know I took this line from a friend when I asked for a wisdom quote from their language, Arabic, cuz it'd looked pretty cool and I also added a little from Latin and French. I think that one means "Tip of an Iceberg"..not sure if it means something else.

˝Girls can wear jeans, cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, 'cause it's okay to be a boy, but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading.˝ーͥ͑̄͊ͣͭ̌̏҉͏̴͇̬͇̳͈͓̲̩̖͈̭͎̼͔͓̠͞ͅÇ̨ͣ͌̐̉̋̔̏̅̐ͫͦͯ̏̀҉̨͚͎ ͎̪̥̪̱̜͙̭harlotte Gainsbourg

˝The most unpleasant feeling a man could ever experience is the morbid desire for the unreachable.˝—Perspicacious
post #50 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
it's happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacious View Post
What lol.. I don't know what you mean by that. You know I took this line from a friend when I asked for a wisdom quote from their language, Arabic, cuz it'd looked pretty cool and I also added a little from Latin and French. I think that one means "Tip of an Iceberg"..not sure if it means something else.
it mean "what Cryptic is the greatest"
i thought that youre hiding some secrects llol
post #51 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Ad Multos Annos!

Quote:
it mean "what Cryptic is the greatest"
i thought that youre hiding some secrects llol
Ohh, not sure if I'm catching up but heyy, don't we all have secrets? I think we all do!

post #52 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 PM
SAS Member

I'm going to have to disagree with your approach in ridding oneself of social anxiety, aladeen; assuming that we're excluding extremely mild cases. As much as you emphasize the subconscious in your original post, I feel you are underestimating just how powerful a role it generally plays in social anxiety, and thus you are, in turn, underestimating how difficult a process it is to alter the subconscious via the conscious mind; greater difficulties necessitate more intense approaches to combat the issues.

This "relaxed awareness" approach was something I almost automatically did from like grade school through my early twenties and it honestly didn't do much, if anything, for me. The reason, I believe, is that much of my social anxiety, as is usually the case, was on the subconscious level. See, the reason that viewing your thoughts through the prism of relaxation won't have an effect in most cases is that this only eliminates the much weaker of the two sources of negativity in your mind, the conscious side of it, but the subconscious will cast these thoughts in a negative light, and will only present your conscious with the final product of a negative thought. The problem I have with your approach is that you're trying to fix the problem too late in the process, allowing the thoughts that your subconscious presents you to come forth, and then trying to alter them once in the conscious mind.

My approach was to, for months, block out the thoughts entirely. My social anxiety was severe, it was intense, and so I had to combat it with equal severity and intensity, and in order to do that I had to compromise some things, make some sacrifices. I deluded myself into thinking that I was normal, that every criticism someone made of me was false, that any suspicion I had of someone thinking poorly of me was, that those possible thoughts others had of me had to to be inaccurate, I did this for a couple of years, and I realized a couple of things. Firstly, despite the fact that I was pounding these delusional thoughts into my head, I still had the ability to step back when I desired and actually view my thoughts properly. And secondly, when I did this, I didn't feel anxiety. In fact, after a while, I didn't even have to "step back" because the process I had worked on was becoming natural now: I could take a criticism someone was making of me, perceive as true, and yet not feel anxiety.

So basically what I've done is separated the anxiety-related and logical aspects of my self-perception. Any time I feel anxiety, I pound into my brain its negation to rid myself of the emotion, while still logically aware of the right answer. Obviously, you ideally wouldn't want to be thinking contradictory things like this, but hey, sacrifices need to be made when fighting such a serious problem. Just "letting go" or "relaxing" doesn't get rid of the problem for me.
post #53 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
it's happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg79 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with your approach in ridding oneself of social anxiety, aladeen; assuming that we're excluding extremely mild cases. As much as you emphasize the subconscious in your original post, I feel you are underestimating just how powerful a role it generally plays in social anxiety, and thus you are, in turn, underestimating how difficult a process it is to alter the subconscious via the conscious mind; greater difficulties necessitate more intense approaches to combat the issues.

This "relaxed awareness" approach was something I almost automatically did from like grade school through my early twenties and it honestly didn't do much, if anything, for me. The reason, I believe, is that much of my social anxiety, as is usually the case, was on the subconscious level. See, the reason that viewing your thoughts through the prism of relaxation won't have an effect in most cases is that this only eliminates the much weaker of the two sources of negativity in your mind, the conscious side of it, but the subconscious will cast these thoughts in a negative light, and will only present your conscious with the final product of a negative thought. The problem I have with your approach is that you're trying to fix the problem too late in the process, allowing the thoughts that your subconscious presents you to come forth, and then trying to alter them once in the conscious mind.

My approach was to, for months, block out the thoughts entirely. My social anxiety was severe, it was intense, and so I had to combat it with equal severity and intensity, and in order to do that I had to compromise some things, make some sacrifices. I deluded myself into thinking that I was normal, that every criticism someone made of me was false, that any suspicion I had of someone thinking poorly of me was, that those possible thoughts others had of me had to to be inaccurate, I did this for a couple of years, and I realized a couple of things. Firstly, despite the fact that I was pounding these delusional thoughts into my head, I still had the ability to step back when I desired and actually view my thoughts properly. And secondly, when I did this, I didn't feel anxiety. In fact, after a while, I didn't even have to "step back" because the process I had worked on was becoming natural now: I could take a criticism someone was making of me, perceive as true, and yet not feel anxiety.

So basically what I've done is separated the anxiety-related and logical aspects of my self-perception. Any time I feel anxiety, I pound into my brain its negation to rid myself of the emotion, while still logically aware of the right answer. Obviously, you ideally wouldn't want to be thinking contradictory things like this, but hey, sacrifices need to be made when fighting such a serious problem. Just "letting go" or "relaxing" doesn't get rid of the problem for me.

my friend . i think you totally misunderstood me . youre talking about combating and fightin our thoughts .that's will only make things worst and worst .and i think you missunderstood what is relaxed awarness /tottal allowing this is not like telling your self "just relaxed" "just leet go " .when youre in public place or under social anxiety attack . so what you' ve been doing is fighting a brain with another brain this will only make things worst
we are here to allow every thing every fearful negative thought that's been stored in our subconscious mind and not givie any attention or focusto them . here an example like youre walking in front of groupe of people
you subconscious mind will automatically show this thought that all those people are looking at you and judging you and youre body automatically release adrenaline fight or flight so what youv been doing here you fight this thought
with things like "relax no one is looking at me" or "they dont care about me " if you do that bom youre screwed .cause you already gave this thought attention and focus and when she get that from it will get bigger and bigger in your subconscious and save it for the next time same/like situation you will experience the same feelings and same thoughts so what is the right way to kill this fear and bring down the neural pathways of this thought that here an example like the previous one . so youre walking in front of group of people and youre subconscious send you this fearfull thoughts of what if they judging me .... you stay consciously relaxed and just allow that they're all looking at you and they're all judging and dont try to combat or try to solve this thought and not give any attention of focus to it just allow it without being panicked or afraid of it . and if you do that youre subconscious will slowly start to understand that those thoughts are not really fearful or threatfull cause youre allowing them and giving them any attention or focus and start to replace the neural pathways of those thoughts from fearful panicked to relaxation and calmness .

you said " See, the reason that viewing your thoughts through the prism of relaxation won't have an effect in most cases is that this only eliminates the much weaker of the two sources of negativity in your mind, the conscious side of it, but the subconscious will cast these thoughts in a negative light, and will only present your conscious with the final product of a negative thought" this is true cuz youre giving this thought focus and attention to get bigger and persists . and youre not allowing this fearfull and negative thought .you will allways see this thought as fearful and scary no matter how relaxed you are.
post #54 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:16 PM
SAS Member

But what do you do in a situation where you just can't fail? Like for example you will meet some important person and you have to inform something to that person? How do you accept the fact that you might froze or you might go into panic and forget what you were talking about? Because that can basically ruin the whole meeting. How do you accept embarrassment? How do you not care about it? That's very difficult.

Everyday is a battle day.
post #55 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacetraveller View Post
But what do you do in a situation where you just can't fail? Like for example you will meet some important person and you have to inform something to that person? How do you accept the fact that you might froze or you might go into panic and forget what you were talking about? Because that can basically ruin the whole meeting. How do you accept embarrassment? How do you not care about it? That's very difficult.
You can always fail. Important people know and understand this so they accept this from you when you do. What matters is your perseverance. All important people know this. That's why they are patient. You have something to offer them and they need it from you alone.

post #56 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 04:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

my friend . i think you totally misunderstood me . youre talking about combating and fightin our thoughts .that's will only make things worst and worst .and i think you missunderstood what is relaxed awarness /tottal allowing this is not like telling your self "just relaxed" "just leet go " .when youre in public place or under social anxiety attack . so what you' ve been doing is fighting a brain with another brain this will only make things worst
we are here to allow every thing every fearful negative thought that's been stored in our subconscious mind and not givie any attention or focusto them . here an example like youre walking in front of groupe of people
you subconscious mind will automatically show this thought that all those people are looking at you and judging you and youre body automatically release adrenaline fight or flight so what youv been doing here you fight this thought
with things like "relax no one is looking at me" or "they dont care about me " if you do that bom youre screwed .cause you already gave this thought attention and focus and when she get that from it will get bigger and bigger in your subconscious and save it for the next time same/like situation you will experience the same feelings and same thoughts so what is the right way to kill this fear and bring down the neural pathways of this thought that here an example like the previous one . so youre walking in front of group of people and youre subconscious send you this fearfull thoughts of what if they judging me .... you stay consciously relaxed and just allow that they're all looking at you and they're all judging and dont try to combat or try to solve this thought and not give any attention of focus to it just allow it without being panicked or afraid of it . and if you do that youre subconscious will slowly start to understand that those thoughts are not really fearful or threatfull cause youre allowing them and giving them any attention or focus and start to replace the neural pathways of those thoughts from fearful panicked to relaxation and calmness .

you said " See, the reason that viewing your thoughts through the prism of relaxation won't have an effect in most cases is that this only eliminates the much weaker of the two sources of negativity in your mind, the conscious side of it, but the subconscious will cast these thoughts in a negative light, and will only present your conscious with the final product of a negative thought" this is true cuz youre giving this thought focus and attention to get bigger and persists . and youre not allowing this fearfull and negative thought .you will allways see this thought as fearful and scary no matter how relaxed you are.
You say that I'm misunderstanding you, but then you ironically misrepresent my interpretation of your viewpoint. I think it's you misunderstanding things here, not me.

You criticize the "combating" approach on the basis that it focuses too much on negative thoughts, thus amplifying them, and yet you focus on the anxiety even more by allowing the negative thoughts to happen. You deny focusing or giving attention to negative thoughts when you allow them to happen, but you're just contradicting yourself for to have a thought go through your head implies that you're focusing on it. For example, if I think:

"That guy probably thinks I look weird,"

the fact that I'm having that thought implies a focus on it, for if I weren't focused on the thought: that guy probably thinks I'm weird then I would never have had the thought in the first place.
post #57 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 PM
SAS Member

Well as far as I've read about mindfulness is that the negative thoughts don't disapear right away. You just have to learn to stop feeding them, and they will get less frequent. And after a long while, depending how long you have been programmed by negative thoughts, the thoughts should be minor or gone completely. So the thoughts still pop up, but you just focus on the task at hand, rather than feeding a negative thought. We all know those negative thoughts are like self fulfilling profecies. If you think hard enough that you won't be able to do that super important presentation, chances are you are going to choke. Having a thought doesn't mean you have a focus on the thought. You can dismiss it right away, or ignore it. For example asking somebody for a date. Your inner monologue could say: "Man, she is WAY too pretty for you, bail man, BAIL!" But you don't listen and just go for it. This is awareness, realising that the inner monologue is not being fare. Do this often enough, and the thoughts will get less negative. Why? Because you are reprogramming your brain with new experiences. We are only used to negative experiences, so that's why we tend to have lots of negative thoughts. And that causes anxiety I suppose.

We all have had pretty negative experiences growing up? No? At least that is the theme I pick around here.

Maybe I'm wrong. Funny. That's the first thing I thought when I was done typing the above. See, another negative thought. **** that thought. *Post reply*
post #58 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 05:45 PM
🎭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg79 View Post

Ahh yes, I like what you wrote here. I also do this, I noticed that I was doing it when I got on my prozac. Maybe the prozac taught me to do this... or I was feeling so good that I started to make fun of myself and accept it and accept others doing the same, and feeling normal, etc.

"We've Found The Formula" - START USING IT NOW!!! | Dr. Joe Dispenza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGj4D-ATH8
post #59 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 05:54 PM
🎭

Quote:

Ah yes this also sounds good. Like I tell myself they're not judging me badly, they're checking me out, adoring my DNA just like I am adoring theirs. Ohh they jelly too! .... helps me alot, this way I build these new paths and kill off all the negative, isolating causing paths.

post #60 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 05:58 PM
🎭

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sleeping Dragon View Post
Well as far as I've read about mindfulness is that the negative thoughts don't disapear right away. You just have to learn to stop feeding them, and they will get less frequent. And after a long while, depending how long you have been programmed by negative thoughts, the thoughts should be minor or gone completely. So the thoughts still pop up, but you just focus on the task at hand, rather than feeding a negative thought. We all know those negative thoughts are like self fulfilling profecies. If you think hard enough that you won't be able to do that super important presentation, chances are you are going to choke. Having a thought doesn't mean you have a focus on the thought. You can dismiss it right away, or ignore it. For example asking somebody for a date. Your inner monologue could say: "Man, she is WAY too pretty for you, bail man, BAIL!" But you don't listen and just go for it. This is awareness, realising that the inner monologue is not being fare. Do this often enough, and the thoughts will get less negative. Why? Because you are reprogramming your brain with new experiences. We are only used to negative experiences, so that's why we tend to have lots of negative thoughts. And that causes anxiety I suppose.

We all have had pretty negative experiences growing up? No? At least that is the theme I pick around here.

Maybe I'm wrong. Funny. That's the first thing I thought when I was done typing the above. See, another negative thought. **** that thought. *Post reply*
Mhhm yes, sounds very good. When I was growing up I didn't know I could reprogram my brain like this, so yeah I had alot of negatives piling and piling in my brain. Good thing there is a way out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page