"....so what are you so afraid of?" - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
xyzhousexyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bronx, New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 494

"....so what are you so afraid of?"


Hi there, had another thought while peeing. Which of these two general factors would you say best sums up why you have social anxiety?

The fear of rejection?
Fear of what other think of you?

The possibility of humiliating yourself?
Protection of fragile ego?
Fear of the unknown?

I am just curious, because for me it is probably a combo of the rejection, and the ego thing, I come off to cool to ever be humiliated, and I really donít care what others think. Because when someone doesnít like me I am very indifferent, I just hate the not knowing if someone likes you or not, but most times it is very apparent.

Have fun answering my question, I am very hungry.
BAGEL SANDWICH!


(tried to submit w out a title..)
xyzhousexyz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
SAS Member
 
seafolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Gender: Female
Age: 34
Posts: 1,950
Fainting. Plain and simple!

I had generalized anxiety but soon came to fear my symptoms (fainting was getting more and more common) so much I'd do anything to avoid them which lead to agoraphobia.
seafolly is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
xyzhousexyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bronx, New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 494
right right right, fear of the symptoms is huge, i knew i'd forget to mention some big ones. May i ask what it is like fainting, i believe I ALMOST fainted once or twice.
Dizziness seeing spots sweating i felt i was about t drop.
xyzhousexyz is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Bonified
 
BruceA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 71
2 and 3. I think It all comes down to how you first developed SA, and your stuck with that.
BruceA is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Semper Idem
 
Stile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southeast Michigan
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 114
For me it's fear of humiliation and rejection. I tend to get a little clumsy when I get very nervous, and increases my fear of humiliation a hundred fold.

I usually try to keep my sadness pent up inside, where it can fester quietly as a mental illness. -- Leela, Futurama
Stile is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
SAS Member
 
seafolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Gender: Female
Age: 34
Posts: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzhousexyz View Post
right right right, fear of the symptoms is huge, i knew i'd forget to mention some big ones. May i ask what it is like fainting, i believe I ALMOST fainted once or twice.
Dizziness seeing spots sweating i felt i was about t drop.

That's pretty much it, haha. Dizziness, fuzzy vision, voices sound really far away, my head feels really light, I'm a bit nauseous, and bam. I actually feel worse afterwards though! The nausea is quite strong. Usually people catch me which is why I think my head's okay.
seafolly is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 PM
asdfghjkl.
 
lost in stereo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Posts: 125
I'm afraid of rejection and that I'm annoying others, so basically what others think of me.
I assume it's because I grew up searching for love, but all I found was well nothing. So I'm basically afraid that I'll get rejected when I'm more often around people.
So this isolating thing is ironically a self-protection, but all it does is 'destroying' me.
lost in stereo is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
xyzhousexyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bronx, New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafolly View Post
That's pretty much it, haha. Dizziness, fuzzy vision, voices sound really far away, my head feels really light, I'm a bit nauseous, and bam. I actually feel worse afterwards though! The nausea is quite strong. Usually people catch me which is why I think my head's okay.
you sure your head is okay? (bad jk)
And yeah if i ever faint i dont think many caan catch me im 6'3 and 240
xyzhousexyz is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
xyzhousexyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bronx, New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in stereo View Post
I'm afraid of rejection and that I'm annoying others, so basically what others think of me.
I assume it's because I grew up searching for love, but all I found was well nothing. So I'm basically afraid that I'll get rejected when I'm more often around people.
So this isolating thing is ironically a self-protection, but all it does is 'destroying' me.
I to have been searching for love since child hood. Even with a girlfriend I don't feel, what i think love is. or what it +s in my head.. kinda depressing ey
xyzhousexyz is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:05 PM
kos
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 2,029
Fear of the unknown hands down.
kos is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:10 PM
SAS Member
 
Lasair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Age: 29
Posts: 7,836
My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzhousexyz View Post

Fear of what other think of you?

The possibility of humiliating yourself?
These

If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom.


What other people think of you is none of your business
Lasair is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 PM
c'est moi
 
sarafinanickelbocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzhousexyz View Post
Which of these two general factors would you say best sums up why you have social anxiety?

The fear of rejection?
Fear of what other think of you?
The possibility of humiliating yourself?
Protection of fragile ego?
Fear of the unknown?


Have fun answering my question, I am very hungry.
BAGEL SANDWICH!
Mmmmm. Bagel Sandwich.

I suppose it's the fear of rejection and fear of the unknown. I'm mostly afraid of conflict. I only care about being rejected by people I like and respect (I hold higher expectations for those people too). Otherwise, I don't care so long as those who have a problem with me leave me alone. I have a problem with not knowing how things are going to play out, which is rediculous, because one NEVER knows. So, yeah...

I think I'm going to eat some grapes now.
sarafinanickelbocker is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Afraid of "relapse" pinkcouture Triumphs Over Social Anxiety 7 12-12-2009 11:12 PM
Why am I afraid to be "big"? KennethJones Secondary Disorders 7 09-23-2009 03:18 PM
afraid of looking like "a dog..." Non Frustration 0 01-30-2009 08:30 PM
Release Date: "Death Race", "Street Fighter", "Alvin 2" TorLin Entertainment 4 08-30-2008 05:36 PM
Afraid of picking "wrong" religion jedijeff Spiritual Support 17 04-25-2006 05:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome