Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

So I got a job, will it help me?

586 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TiredandWeary 
#1 ·
remember that thread i posted about the ****ty interview? well i ended up getting the job. It seems like a major part of what has been causing me depression has now been taking care of. That is "getting a job"

but those who have SA and thought a job would help them. Did it? did it make you feel good about yourself that you are now working, and actually have something to talk about with people?

#3 ·
I think it will only help you if you take the initiative to break out of your comfort zone. Otherwise, going to work and having to talk with others will only feel vexing. At least, that's the conclusion I've come to from personal experience (and failing lol). It's great at least you found a job. Pats on back for you :)

#4 ·
In the past five years I've had three jobs, all of which have placed me in contact with many people. I wasn't consciously thinking about how these jobs would help my SA, I was thinking about the necessity of having a job. When I know I need something, I only think about fulfilling that need. As a secondary plus, I've learned to better deal with people.

But, I have consciously worked on getting better. The first job as a tour guide was simply good because of the exposure to people in groups. The second job was great because it had me listening to peoples' wishes and having conversations with them. The job I have right now is great because it allows me to deal with, at times, scum, and allows me to stand up for myself.

#5 ·
For me it really hasn't.

I mean, obviously having money in your pocket is fantastic but ultimatley if your personal life isnt up to what you want it to be (and mine isn't), working in an environent where people are constantly talking about how great there lives are isn't going to make you feel any better.

I'm working in a small office with people that are very extroverted, love talking about themselves, I find it hard to care about what they get up to. We have nothing in common and feel that they havent tried to get to know me anyway.

Do the job, earn your crust and use the money and your new found focus to improve your personal life, which is ultimatley the most important thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.