Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   So how do you get out of depression? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/so-how-do-you-get-out-of-depression-2225987/)

freakingout 08-04-2019 09:57 AM

So how do you get out of depression?

Like I said I've been depressed lately. I've been dealing depression for off and on for over 13 years and things really don't seem to get be getting any better. I've tried exercise, nothing, depression meds nothing, basically nothing I've tried has worked. I'm not sure what to do or how to fix things and make things better.

3stacks 08-04-2019 11:15 AM

Therapy? The ones I know are CBT and ACT. I'm not sure if depression is something we can ever completely get rid of but maybe some therapies can help ease it.

freedom00 08-06-2019 08:32 AM

A near death experience pulled me right out of it, but I can't really suggest that as a methof of therapy.

Previously I'd dip in and out of it and can't explain why at some periods I'd be happier.

aqwsderf 08-06-2019 03:50 PM

How long did you try those things for?

versikk 08-07-2019 04:35 AM

Ayahuasca therapy
Mdma therapy
Psilocybin therapy
Lsd therapy

This video describes an interesting perspective:
Posted via Mobile Device

twitchy666 08-07-2019 05:08 AM

Wordz????

it
that
this
U
wot
do
what
uh
out
in
around
which
over
on
of
atop
???

GETHOW???

HOWGET???

use words with many syllables!!! how many eyes u got??

Shadowweaver 08-07-2019 05:17 AM

Depression happens when you don't feel like doing anything. I don't have too much experience with it, but those few instances when it happened, it always helped significantly to focus on something. I could try a new hobby, go to a new place, read a new book, etc. - anything to shake up the routine.

If your depression is chronic, then I would assume that you haven't found the things that make you really happy. Try out various things you've never done before, and see if anything rocks your world!

MagneticMetal 08-07-2019 08:58 AM

Depression is a belief in certain things as being true, even though they are not true.
Therefore, you have to disbelieve those things which you chose to believe in.

Cool Ice Dude55 08-08-2019 11:19 AM

Cliche - but keep yourself busy. This could be in the form of work or other projects you could do.

andy1984 08-08-2019 11:46 AM

idk in my case I'd say social capital and making an effort help

I guess I seldom had real depression depression. it lasts for a few months and then goes away. I suppose that's just the blues. so maybe my answer is invalid.

sabbath9 08-08-2019 12:27 PM

lots of weed :p

blue2 08-08-2019 01:15 PM

Definitely not booze I've conducted extensive studies.

AbbasGreen 08-08-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakingout (Post 1093776181)
Like I said I've been depressed lately. I've been dealing depression for off and on for over 13 years and things really don't seem to get be getting any better. I've tried exercise, nothing, depression meds nothing, basically nothing I've tried has worked. I'm not sure what to do or how to fix things and make things better.

Hi freakingout. I'm sorry to hear that your depression has lasted this long. I too was depressed for like 8 or 9 years so I know how it can feel. Maybe my experience can offer some suggestions if I know a bit more about your experience.

AbbasGreen 08-08-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakingout (Post 1093776181)

Also as a general answer I can give an analogy. If you look at a simple life form such as a plant. When there is no rain or water provided to it you can see that it expresses it's need for water by having dry leaves etc.

Similarly when humans have a problem they also express their pain which you done in this post.

In addition to water, plants also need sunlight. So you can see their needs are multiple and in some ways complex. But the human being is much more complex than a plant.

From my experience I realised that my recovery was based on responding to my needs in healthy ways and these needs were multiple. For example:

* I logged mood changes, their reasons and whether they were positive or negative.
* I looked inside myself and made a list of my problems etc. Then I went through them slowly

* I had financial issues so I had to sort those out
* I needed to consult a professional that I was comfortable with to steer me in the right direction especially when I felt like I was stuck
* I personally like long walks in the sunlight so I did that and I would see that I felt calmer and the seriousness of my issues felt lighter. I felt more optimistic about solving them
* I had to resolve inner conflicts

So from what you can see above it was many things. I was actually pretty depressed but I recovered. I think it also helps to look at it as an exciting project or journey and give a positive vibe to it.

I hope that helps.

bassmaster 08-09-2019 01:42 AM

Music is the only thing that helped me. I would of killed myself sooner if I didn't had music.

jtd1974 08-09-2019 02:01 AM

What meds have you tried? SSRIs etc? I would suggest looking into trying a MAOI if you haven't already. What have you got to lose?

sabbath9 08-09-2019 05:41 AM

typing "bikini haul" into a youtube search :p

versikk 08-09-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabbath9 (Post 1093780155)
typing "bikini haul" into a youtube search :p

gymshark haul

lingerie haul

MagneticMetal 08-12-2019 01:24 PM

I posted an answer to your question but I have some more info to add, which may help you.

The first thing you need to discover is that depression is not a brain condition, or an illness or anything biological, nor is it something that "happened to you" (or to anyone else) by something that is external to your mind.
What we call depression is a self-created form of suffering (as all suffering is). Suffering is mind pain, as opposed to physical pain, which is not suffering, although people do mix these things up, such as when they are physically hurt in a car accident, for example.

Your suffering is most likely to have come about because you have come to believe in (and given attention to) certain thoughts, such as beliefs, opinions, stories, narratives, ideas, what others have said, or done, and/or other thoughts.
So to end your depression, you need to ask a couple of questions about each thought that comes to your mind, and then when you see that each thought is not true, you can then choose to disbelieve it.
Ask how do I know this thought is true?
Where is the evidence?
Is this thought a fact that is indisputable?
Please note that evidence has to be something that exists in reality, not what exists in your mind.
So, evidence is only what you can see, hear, touch, taste and smell.

Do this short process for every thought you have, no matter what the thought is.

I'd recommend that you write each thought down when it comes to you and then when you have time, you are alone, without any noise and distractions, attend to each thought.
You can give as much time as you wish to your thoughts , but its best not to rush through the questions.

You might be asking yourself, "What happens if I find out that the thought is true and valid?".
The answer to that is you won't find any thought you have to be true or valid or find any evidence for it, as all thoughts all false and invalid. You will not find any actual evidence, for any thought, belief, idea, opinion, etc., because thoughts only exist in the mind and not in reality. Thus, all thoughts only exist because people want them to exist.

Please note that when I use the term thoughts, it means non-functional thoughts only.
Functional thoughts are OK and do not cause any suffering.
Functional thoughts are those that serve a function/purpose, such as "What shall I buy at the grocery store?", or "What shall I wear today?", or "What route should I take to go to....", or "How do I fix....", etc.

Once you start to see that each thought is only true because you came to believe it to be true, you will begin to feel your suffering reducing. You can of course continue to believe something is true, even after you have proved to yourself that it is not true. This is your choice and so in this sense, suffering is a choice.

Please be sure that nothing outside of your mind (this includes people and what they say/think and do, plus all kinds of relationships with people), events, circumstances, job/no job, money/no money, location, your age, the past) can cause you to suffer. By the same token, nothing outside of your mind can bring you happiness and peace. Both are an impossibility.
You can easily see for yourself that this is true, when you ask "Is everyone with one or more of these things free from suffering? Do people who have, say, $100K, $500K, $5 million, etc, stop trying to make more money? Do professional sportspeople stop trying to win games and championships when they get their first one? Do people who own a home/car stop wanting a larger one, a "better" one, a second one?
No, they don't because they believed that getting any of those things would bring them happiness/peace. or some other belief.
When they attain that goal, they get a intense and short shot of pleasure. But this does not last and the excitement soon fades. Just like a new toy for a child does. Thus, they think "I need to get more/bigger/better", etc.. and so they go on to aim for some new goal and so the cycle repeats.

I can send you links to videos that may also help you to understand the above.
PM me if you want the links.

EmotionlessThug 08-12-2019 06:30 PM

I concentrate on the issue around my environment that is reoccurring and learn from the way its directed at me to make me feel uncomfortable in my environment.