Simply, yet hard (calling people) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Simply, yet hard (calling people)

From all the stress, the thinking, trying to talk smoothly... all done in a matter of seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:17 PM
SAS Member

I've largely overcome my phone phobia, but it was pretty bad for a long time. In fact, once I moved out of an apartment, and I was unable to call the phone company to discontinue service, so I continued to pay the bill until the phone company figured out I didn't live there anymore, and cancelled service for me.

Occasionally I'll still have problems with the phone. For example, I might ring someone, and totally blank out on what to say. When this happens, there will be weird, long pauses in the middle of my sentences.

One thing that has helped me is to plan out, in general, what I'm going to say before I make the call. I won't rehearse the conversation in full, but I might jot a few notes down and then repeat to myself "I'm going to ask about this, and that, and that, and that."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Re: Simply, yet hard (calling people)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkII
From all the stress, the thinking, trying to talk smoothly... all done in a matter of seconds.

I really can't stand calling someone - to make appointments, or if you missed out on a delivery etc. which happened to me. I got so nervous that for a few moments I forgot on what I was suppose to say (and I plan on what to say before calling :P) Sad isn't it?
Does anyone else really get intimidated by the phone?? I mean, this call was just to confirm a delivery time, but for me.. it was a HUGE thing to go through.. I can calm down now :P
It was a huge thing to go through because you sat and pondered over it for ages. Over and over again. Before, and after.

Just do it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM
SAS Member

I just called some stranger today for an appointment, no anxiety whatsoever and the person sounded really nice. Phones don't intimidate me so much, i still get that irrational anxiety by self consciousness, but i'm largely over my phobia of calling people now.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:01 PM

I used to have the phone phobia, but then I took a job where one of my responsibilities was answering the phone for all incoming calls at the organization.
That helped me in some ways, but then I had this paranoia take over. I started thinking about all the scams that occur on the phone and was so afraid of saying too much. After some of these calls, I would review the call in my head, to be sure of what I said. Of course, I was just being paranoid and I nothing bad ever happened.

I am fine with calling for appointments these days, but 10 years ago, i could never do that. I was terrified of the phone.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 01:11 PM

I'm fine with making appointments, etc, it's just talking socially that I have problems with. With my mom, I'm fine, but with anyone else...I struggle to think of things to say. It's just really awkward....I hate those silences and always blame myself. But I don't have any friends to call anyway and I don't talk much with my family, so no worries for me. lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 04:41 PM

I haaaate phones as well. I actually just got off the phone with an old friend. He called me randomly. I shouldn't have picked up, but I did. I felt so awkward and lame. I usually find an excuse to get off as soon as I can.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page