Self employment - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Self employment

Has anyone here considered, or is currently self employed? I've noticed a lot of people with SA don't find conventional means of employment comfortable. Self employment is a dream of mine. I'd love to be in charge of myself and only myself creating things for other people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I work part time and teach guitar lessons on my days off for extra cash so that bit is self employment for me. I just post some ads online and people contact me to book.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:35 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I would like to do it that way, but the problem is that I don't know how, I can't find anything that I would like or at least can do. That's where self employment start to look even harder thing to do than normal job...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:12 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Been self-employed for 16 years now as a web developer. Gets harder and harder to find business though, when you're not social enough to market yourself.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:35 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Yeah, drumming up business and talking to potential clients isn't easy. When I was teaching English abroad (small groups of 1-3 people) it took me awhile to figure out where to advertise. At first I tried the local paper but I couldn't handle the phone calls in Portuguese at random times. Even if they could speak English (intermediate or advanced level), they still wanted all the info over the phone in Portuguese. Ugh. I hate phone calls but in Portuguese and sometimes at 9am when I'm sleeping- impossible!!

Later I moved near a college campus and just put up signs with my email address on it. That worked much better. Still made me nervous roaming around the campus taping up my signs in front of people.

I also had to explain to potential students that they couldn't pay for one lesson at a time. They had to pay for 4 lessons in advance. Had to do that to prevent frequent flaking and last minute cancellations. Make-up classes for cancellations would only be given if they canceled at least the night before. If they tried to cancel an hour before the scheduled class, they still had to pay for it.

The biggest issue with being self-employed is just getting enough hours/enough clients. Depends on how much your services are in demand and how much competition you have. I didn't have much competition in Brazil. Not many native English speakers teaching there.

Second problem is location. It's not like going to a regular job where your computer and all that you need is provided. When I did a bit of tutoring in Japan, I wasted a lot of time going to my students' apartments. Some I would meet downtown at a coffee shop or restaurant but I had problems since some coffee shops were way too noisy/crowded. And if the student was cheap I had to pay for my own coffee which cut into the profit.

Public transit isn't that great in Brazil, so I decided that the students could all come to my place. I made sure to live very close to the 2 large college campuses. Sometimes I had to tell my roommates to keep it quiet since they were making a ruckus in the living room interfering with the lesson I was giving in my bedroom. One roommate smoked weed everyday and I had to tell him to try not to smoke 30 minutes before the lesson and of course not during the lesson.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy extrovert View Post
Has anyone here considered, or is currently self employed? I've noticed a lot of people with SA don't find conventional means of employment comfortable. Self employment is a dream of mine. I'd love to be in charge of myself and only myself creating things for other people
With self employment you still have a boss, just the boss becomes the customer.

A lot of businesses fail as people don't plan ahead (business plan).

In addition, if earn above certain amount (varies from country to country) you need to ltd the business. This creates another set of problems, issues to deal with.

Also you don't work the typical 9-5. You need to do books (financials) each day after work, cleanup if a restaurant, etc. Basically you work more hours per week.

It is a good idea to havē someone to work with to spread the load between you, but that creates many other issues if doesn't work out.

Zera.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
I'm self-employed part-time. My reccomendation is to have a normal part-time job and work self-employed the rest of the time if you're just starting out.

What would you like to work as? Depending what it is determines how socialable you would need to be.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 PM

Language: English
I was a full time online advertiser making between $80-$130 per day writing blogs about my niche to boost my website content per day. My sponsor website allowed me to instantly withdraw my earnings, and during the beginning of the year I had to receive a 1099 form from my sponsor.

The more blogs you write, the earnings increase.

All needed.

Keywords
Backlinks
Niche vocabulary words
Niche images
Custom made landing page
Social engineering
Knowing when the search engine bots browser through your website for ranking content.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

High Authority NSA Software Engineers "We feed the Supercomputers knowledge on how to manage citizens sleep, sex, accicident, dream, health, interaction, job, education, lottery, living condition, murder, suicide & terrorism throughout the day each day."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
I'm self-employed part-time. My reccomendation is to have a normal part-time job and work self-employed the rest of the time if you're just starting out.

What would you like to work as? Depending what it is determines how socialable you would need to be.
For a while I did art comissions for people, it was more work than I thought with the hours put in, but I just did these on a smaller scale and uploaded them to a social media platform to put together a sort of portfolio. I am still uploading art I do for fun. Now that I have more expenses I will start to advirtise better over the internet. Maybe one day I can be a graphic or web designer
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:44 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy extrovert View Post

I've been self-employed for thirty years now. It does have it's pros. You get out of it what you put into it. Verses working hard for someone else. With that said, there's a senses of accomplishment. There's also less stress, providing you're able to keep up and get your projects done on time.

Being self-employed appeals to my nature and disposition. Always liked doing my own thing on my own terms.

It's an investment that can either work in your favor, or create a lot more stress if you're not up to the task.

Depends what you're wanting to do and how much time and energy you are willing to put into it.

All you can do is try! You'll learn something, even if you fail. You then take what you learned and apply it to the next venture.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page