Saying cognitive statements in a safe place? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Saying cognitive statements in a safe place?

Does this work? I thought it's best to say rational statements when you are in a provoking situation in order to diffuse it. I LITERALLY don't understand how will saying them off-situation help...PLEASE someone explain, really curious to know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Also which situation worked for you best?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:49 AM
Big Boo's Haunt

No idea what you're talking about dude. Example?

**** you and your mandatory custom signature.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 AM
the knowledge void

What is a cognitive statement?

What is your definition of a safe place, in this context ?
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by versikk View Post
What is a cognitive statement?

What is your definition of a safe place, in this context ?
Posted via Mobile Device
"people don't care about me" i would consider a cognitive (rational) statement
My definition of a safe place is like somewhere where you comfortable as well as no anxiety
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSky View Post
No idea what you're talking about dude. Example?
"people don't care about me" i would consider a cognitive (rational) statement
My definition of a safe place is like somewhere where you comfortable as well as no anxiety
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Yes, there are safe and not safe places for these...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:58 AM
SAS Member

Okay, so I read a post of yours from Dec 10.

What happens in a tense situation with another is, if you find yourself feeling anxious, the front part of your brain (prefrontal cortex) shuts off..

You are in fight or flight or freeze or feign mode (I read somewhere someone talks of the 4 fs- very interesting) and the clever, efficient brain knows that it has to act. It is now in survival mode. The amygdala is getting heaps of 'Warning Will Robinson! Warning!' signals...

The body tenses major muscles and the heart beats faster in preparation for running or fighting or whatever one's usual dysfunctional response is...

You may as well have a tiger running straight for you cos that's how the brain has interpretated the signals you're giving it. {Read here my experience- I wait for dr for 1 hour over my appt time, I ask receptionist how come I'm waiting so long? This is getting a little ridiculous. I have somewhere else to be....a few minutes later, dr comes over and asks me brashly what my problem is ... now I'm feeling intimidated. I'm stumped. Got nothing. I fumble through and try to explain myself but fail miserably and am left later feeling horrible}

So, last year, i learnt that breathing (not shallow, but filling the belly with air, then then continually breathing in you fill the lungs and lastly the inbreath to fill the top of the lungs...then release the air in the reverse order.) done 3 or 4 times WHEN NOT in an anxiety provoking situation will calm the brain and get your body used to calming.

So that when you are in a tough situation next time, and you do this breathing, your brain will say 'oh, I know how this turns out... I end up relaxing'. The front part of the brain can start working again and ...you have....cognition!!!! Yay. Now, I tell you this, but do I practice it? Nooooooo. Should I? Gosh yesss

Hope my essay didn't bore anyone 😁
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:02 PM
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful12 View Post
Okay, so I read a post of yours from Dec 10.

What happens in a tense situation with another is, if you find yourself feeling anxious, the front part of your brain (prefrontal cortex) shuts off..

You are in fight or flight or freeze or feign mode (I read somewhere someone talks of the 4 fs- very interesting) and the clever, efficient brain knows that it has to act. It is now in survival mode. The amygdala is getting heaps of 'Warning Will Robinson! Warning!' signals...

The body tenses major muscles and the heart beats faster in preparation for running or fighting or whatever one's usual dysfunctional response is...

You may as well have a tiger running straight for you cos that's how the brain has interpretated the signals you're giving it. {Read here my experience- I wait for dr for 1 hour over my appt time, I ask receptionist how come I'm waiting so long? This is getting a little ridiculous. I have somewhere else to be....a few minutes later, dr comes over and asks me brashly what my problem is ... now I'm feeling intimidated. I'm stumped. Got nothing. I fumble through and try to explain myself but fail miserably and am left later feeling horrible}

So, last year, i learnt that breathing (not shallow, but filling the belly with air, then then continually breathing in you fill the lungs and lastly the inbreath to fill the top of the lungs...then release the air in the reverse order.) done 3 or 4 times WHEN NOT in an anxiety provoking situation will calm the brain and get your body used to calming.

So that when you are in a tough situation next time, and you do this breathing, your brain will say 'oh, I know how this turns out... I end up relaxing'. The front part of the brain can start working again and ...you have....cognition!!!! Yay. Now, I tell you this, but do I practice it? Nooooooo. Should I? Gosh yesss

Hope my essay didn't bore anyone 😁
great post

AIIOW3VERYT_8N5H47EE
the demon is the healer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page