reasons to keep living - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

reasons to keep living

Does anyone know of any good ones? There is nothing that I want from life anymore. I don't want money, it wont make me happy. Friends or girlfriend won't make me happy either. I hate traveling too and don't enjoy leaving home. I don't want to buy anything anymore either as it doesn't make me happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 10:57 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
There are always reasons to keep living. Im sure there are some things you get joy out of. Focus on that.

I dont know the problems you are currently going through but they will likely get better if you focus on working on those areas in your life.

I went through some pretty horrible situations at certain times in my life. A lot of other people have killed themselves over far less. Things are a lot better now for me. Not perfect but a whole lot better.

Why dont you want money, friends or girlfriend? I enjoy travel myself but not everyone does so that is fine. Find something you do enjoy. Lots of good hobbies in this world

So dont end it please.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

There are no more things that I enjoy, a few that I half-*** enjoy and not worth pursuing.

I don't want money because buying things does not make me happy, I don't give a rats *** about ferrari or mansions or pretty much anything else anymore. I could live in a tent as long as it had a shower and bathroom. I don't want girlfriend or friends because human relationships don't make me happy either.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 07:10 AM
UnDeRrAtED

Language: SPanish and English fluently
for me i dont feel" I have good reasons to continue on but since fear controls pretty much what I do its almost solitary confinement. Ive had expensive cars and pretty much all I wanted in the external world with the exception of a girlfriend still not happy. Though I cant make myself happy nor may not be happy at least if I can reach old age and die of natural causes. Knowing there could always be a possibility out of a impossible and unexplainable cause or effect to be potentially happy. But honestly i do have a roof over my head thats the bottom line not the basis of contentment for me personally.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 07:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humidity View Post
There are no more things that I enjoy, a few that I half-*** enjoy and not worth pursuing.

I don't want money because buying things does not make me happy, I don't give a rats *** about ferrari or mansions or pretty much anything else anymore. I could live in a tent as long as it had a shower and bathroom. I don't want girlfriend or friends because human relationships don't make me happy either.
Well if money or realtionships does not make you happy that is fine. Everyone is different. Perhaps a cabin in the woods or living in a small town where you are isolated would make you happy?

How old are you and what area do you live in? What is your job situation?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Permanently Banned

sex, drugs, rock n roll
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 07:53 AM
experimental sincerity

I know of good reasons for me. I really like railway stations and airports. This might be a limited-time demo version. Dangling my feet off a bridge whilst sharing a bottle of wine with a friend feels nice. The list of books I want to read is very long. Sometimes human touch can taser. Lots of surprises and unexplored maps. Those are some of mine. I hope you'll find yours.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 07:58 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
Dangling my feet off a bridge whilst sharing a bottle of wine with a friend feels nice.
That sounds fun i would like to give that a try. Just need to find a friend and substitute the wine for beer. Although wine would work as well!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:03 AM
England

I'm feared on call of duty
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:44 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
That sounds fun i would like to give that a try. Just need to find a friend and substitute the wine for beer. Although wine would work as well!
Ha, yes! I'm doing it this Saturday. Wine because then you can pass the bottle back and forth, which somehow adds to the experience. Although I can see this working as a solo mission as well, friends are hard to come by sometimes.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 09:03 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Iggy Pop. Iggy is hope.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:05 AM
Some people juggle geese.

I would say because you might not have any wants or enjoyments right now, but given enough time and/or effort you will in the future. Not only are having trouble enjoying things, you are having trouble anticipating enjoyment.

I am struggling as well, but let's give ourselves some time to come up with an answer, which is in itself a reason?
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I'd argue the best reason is that this is most likely all we've got -- after you die you're not gonna go to Heaven or Hell or anywhere else; you won't be reincarnated, you won't reach enlightenment. The brain shuts down and with it goes your whole consciousness, your being, everything you are. And while I personally find the thought of total oblivion rather comforting, the fact that I'll never exist again makes me want to suck whatever pleasure I can out of this life while it lasts, no matter how meager or temporary.

I've been depressed lately, not getting much pleasure from anything. It sucks. But I know from past experience that it's also temporary. Sure, some people have chronic depression, but even then you can have better days where you'll feel a bit more alive, get that little bit more pleasure out of things. And if nothing you're doing is giving you the pleasure you want, seek out new things. Try new hobbies. And don't let popular opinion get you down -- it's perfectly fine not to be interested in friends or girlfriends or whatever else everyone else clamors about. You do YOU.

"Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce / To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: / Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n" - "Satan", Paradise Lost
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 01:00 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Angelic
There are no "reasons" per say, most people have an insatiable appetite to fill their lives with crap so they don't have to go insane thinking about it, so crap is a reason.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 02:55 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
I could list an endless number of reasons but the primary one for me is to share the good news

John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I don't have any tbh. I guess they'd be personal to each person as well.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 03:45 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
i have to stay alive to maintain my moral superiority and also to transcend various things that one must be alive to transcend

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 03:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
i have to stay alive to maintain my moral superiority and also to transcend various things that one must be alive to transcend
Lol, good points.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 03:59 PM
Fupa King

Your life has value. I believe this if on nothing else but an intuition that everyone's does and the observation that existence is miraculous partly in terms of it's strangeness--everything could have just been nothing, yet here we are, participating in whatever this is. However we may categorize things in terms of scientific properties (and we can categorize and understand many things this way), I don't think we can effectively answer the "strangeness" of existing.

Anytime, I've felt that my life doesn't have value and that I truly don't have a reason to live. I don't think I have a reason to die either. And I'd like to be happy before I die. I don't know that it will happen, however, I don't want to miss my chance to enjoy life completely.

Life's Wack
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 04:09 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesker View Post
Lol, good points.

even though i would harm fewer animals and have less impact on the environment if i was dead, i wouldn't be able to look down on others and generally judge them, etc.

also one of the things i need to transcend is my moral superiority

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page