Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Pros of social anxiety?!

5K views 52 replies 47 participants last post by  Chuck1213 
#1 ·
Hi, I believe social anxiety have some pros and benefits, i know the cons are much worst but let's be positive and talk about the pros

What do you believe are the pros of social anxiety?

For me i think
- working hard to prove yourself due to the insecurities
- ability to feel the people who suffer from social anxiety, most people don't get them and can't relate to that

#3 ·
the term WORK

insatiable

myriad of absolutely no meaning..

do? =

1. only ever occurs WHEN THE GRAND ALMIGHTY allowwz it! Binary. lifeSwitch. let the person do. General: YOU CAN'T

THERE NO HARRRD!!!! ORRR SOFTY! ALL HARSHLY refined. salary, rewards, wot u get in return by doing it. ALL: let, OR don't let. sell oneself? Maze. Outrun. turn left, right.. each minute each day, since born, 99% YOU CAN'T!!
dictated by every human being. KNUCKLE DUSTA and combat moral, all life. bruises, kicked, smashed. negative existence. who evva experienced one ounce of pleasance? always purely fake, mocked, lied, temp, virtual, just bullied, unreal. never granted. revoked at beginning. perks!

#4 ·
Well...I'm never going to experience an STD or unwanted pregnancy, so...there's that. :stu

#8 ·
A heightened sense of introspection? Idk, that's debatable really. To think of a pro I feel like I'm bending my mind to think of something positive about having it, which is a tall order for me.

I think it's marvelous that you can come up with some pros, however. I have to admit I envy that.

#11 ·
Yeah, thinking more of something before saying them and being careful of saying something.

ability to feel the people who suffer from social anxiety
I actually find this to be a common misconception. Just because you suffer from something, it doesn't make you be more aware of it for others. Can actually be opposite, as in SA sufferers are more prone to triggering SA for other SA sufferers in some cases too. Since SAers might have less experience with socializing, thus they aren't as good in knowing how to sugarcoat things or not being aware of saying something which will be offensive or "anti-social". Although, same with other disorders probably.

#12 ·
Not getting an STI
Likely to avoid getting into a bad relationship that ends in mental/emotional/financial ruin
If you are christian/religious then keeping your virginity till marriage should be easy as pie
If you don't say anything people can't criticize you for something you said
If you don't approach someone to ask for a date you can't be rejected
Spending so much time at home means you're less likely to get mugged on the street
If you have a job you'll be able to save more money since you don't 'go out' or have kids or a partner to spend money on
People are less likely to talk behind your back or back stab you because you don't know many people to begin with
People will have a lot of fun teasing you when they find out you haven't had sex in years or are still a virgin that has never been on a date, has no friends and lives in your mothers basement browsing reddit or playing world of warcraft all day long and covered in cheeto dust

Of course this is at the expense of basically your own life and happiness.

#15 ·
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, Social anxiety has made me very introspective and I've always been challenging myself to be a better person.

and even though my social anxiety has been such a great challenge and a source of depression. Its.........on a flipside. Its made me who I am. and I kind of like being me.

#19 ·
Hi, I believe social anxiety have some pros and benefits, i know the cons are much worst but let's be positive and talk about the pros

For me i think
- ability to feel the people who suffer from social anxiety, most people don't get them and can't relate to that
One of the pros would be more empathetic I think?

#22 ·

For me i think
I dont think there are any pros of having a mental illness

#23 ·
Of course there is!!!

Some very good ones were already mentioned!

In psychology there's also something called "primary and secondary morbid gain!"
Realising them is one further step for improvement!

Most of us will remember being sick as a kid, enjoying the attention and pampering and maybe getting away with annoying behavior!
Having missed school due to illness, convenient excuse for bad marks!
Others tread carefully around you, not to stress you further or worsen your condition!

It's not mean or bad, but humans are opportunistic!

Same with mental illnesses!

One common gain is always having a legitimate excuse handy for what's going wrong in one's life!
No further sobering self-criticism or stressful hard work necessary!
No taking over responsibility for things done or not done!
"Boohoo, my life sucks!" Period!

Another common gain is self-victimization!
We are always the good one! Society and the others are the bad one!
It's more legitimate for victims to misbehave, being rude, angry, to resign!
"Everybody hates me, so I hate back!"

That doesn't mean that our life is not really very, very difficult, stressful, painful and we don't suffer!!!

But, the more honest we are to ourselves, the more approaches and possibilities we have to work with on changing things!

#26 ·
Coworkers judge my "body language" and then get me fired and then I don't have to work with these judgmental morons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.