Pressure of having to "react" to everything. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Pressure of having to "react" to everything.

When you're with others, do you ever feel an uncomfortable pressure to have to react to things?

As an introvert, normally I just react myself. I don't feel the need to react in an entertaining way for others. I feel this is the best way of viewing the world... no prejudices, no silliness.

There are many times when I've just been dead blank after something, "poker face", that's how I normally am. I don't want to have to react, I would rather just allow the experience to come over me, you know? However people always make me feel weird about doing this, so I often really try to pull a face, make a comment or noise or whatever.

When you're with others, there's always some kind of agenda or power play in the process. You can never be completely objective when you're coming up with a response for someone else around. So for this reason I would claim that being with others is an inferior way to experience something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:16 AM
SAS Member

It can be difficult to get a read on someone who's outwardly (excessively) stoic. In that sense, I can understand it, I guess... "Am I boring you? You don't seem interested."

Those few times I've been in the 'storytelling position' in a conversation, I could see it getting awkward if the other person wasn't showing any reaction.

It's exhausting, though... unnatural as it is (for me).

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
I think I'm like this naturally as well. I process things internally.

I taught English to kids for four years, so I had to learn to be more expressive. It was a skill I worked hard to develop.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:56 PM
SAS Member

Yeah i dont show emotions well anyways im blank a lot. So i have a few words i say a lot. Wow really. Thats crazzy. Damn . Then i laugh randomly even when i shouldnt. i dont really try to hard if someone says something to me. Like you dont talk much. Then i say whats the point in talking if i have nothing to say ? I just dont react if its not natural anymore theres no point either like me or dont.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page