Prescription anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed

Prescription anxiety

Anybody else have this?

I have epilepsy so I absolutely have to have meds at all times. I have to get new prescriptions for it at least once every 6 months. Doctors don't even like to go that long but mine kind of reluctantly does (but always mentions he doesn't like it).

So each time I fill up my weekly medication container, I have to see my dwindling supply and get anxiety about the next time I have to go pick up refills or go back to the doctor. I hate calling them in. I hate doctors. I hate everything about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I've been doing it since I was 16. It's not something I've ever just gotten used to. I don't think I ever will really. I will always hate it.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Kinda dodged it this time. I called them in but my mom was going out anyway so I asked her if she could get them for me. But this means I have 3 months until another doctor's appointment.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Anybody else get it?

I have epilepsy so I absolutely have to have meds at all times. I have to get new prescriptions for it at least once every 6 months. Doctors don't even like to go that long but mine kind of reluctantly does (but always mentions he doesn't like it).

So each time I fill up my weekly medication container, I have to see my dwindling supply and get anxiety about the next time I have to go pick up refills or go back to the doctor. I hate calling them in. I hate doctors. I hate everything about it.
What is it that bothers you? Is it being embarassed at the counter?

For some reason it doesn't bother me at all now - I'm not sure why. I think I might have found it a bit embarssing in the past though. Going to the doctor's doesn't bother me either - I think because I've seen so many of them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
What is it that bothers you? Is it being embarassed at the counter?
It's probably about 80% anxiety and about 20% just hate the way pharmacies and prescriptions work. Just on a really basic level I despise the way all this stuff is set up. The whole thing bothers me. All of it. Like I said. I just hate everything about it.

Like I said. If it was just blood pressure medication (which I'm also on) or something, it wouldn't be so bad. You could probably run out of that for a week and you'd be OK as long as you didn't permanently stop taking it. Epilepsy is different. It's a "Take this pill EXACTLY on time every single day for the rest of your life or else!"

------------

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 AM
Benevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
I'd be nerve-wracked about that, too. The only kind of presciption anxiety I have is the "I can't afford to pay for it, so I hope I never get sick" anxiety.

Wishing she had a mindblowing GUI
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I'd be nerve-wracked about that, too. The only kind of presciption anxiety I have is the "I can't afford to pay for it, so I hope I never get sick" anxiety.
Yeah. That too. It used to be worse. When I was first put on Depakote it was exclusively Abbott Labs patent and they took full advantage of it. I think I remember it being something like $600 a bottle. So when I tried to move out of my parents house they still had to buy it and send it to me because it would have taken me two months to pay for one bottle if I didn't spend a dime on anything else.

Now the generic is available. It's still not cheap but not like it was. The patent didn't expire until sometime fairly recently. I still can't afford to buy the brand name (I think I read somewhere that generic drugs are allowed to be somewhat off and still be considered the same thing). I think my mom sent my dad to get it one time and he didn't know any better so he asked for the brand name and the bill was like $800 for both meds. I think that might have been a six month supply but still.

------------

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Benevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
@WillYouStopDave Those prices are grotesque. It's one thing to rob people buying luxury goods and another to rob them when they have no choice but to buy your product. At least the younguns won't have to worry about supporting their elders for long. The bigger the income gap, the shorter the life expectancy.

Wishing she had a mindblowing GUI
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 AM
searching for spices

Language: 英語と日本語
I had assumed you were on medicaid. My sister is and she pays absolutely nothing for her medical care. That's why her new hobby is going to the doctor.

Kitty Therapy

The Meaning of Life

The Grim Reaper

We're going riding on the freeway......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
I had assumed you were on medicaid. My sister is and she pays absolutely nothing for her medical care. That's why her new hobby is going to the doctor.
Nope. Not on medicaid. I could have probably realistically qualified for it within the last few years or so but now I have been kind of waiting to see what's going to happen since things are turbulent. I honestly don't want to get mixed up in something that is in flux like that if I have a choice. I don't like situations where you get involved because things are a certain way and then they change drastically like a year later and take/DRAG me along for the bumpy ride.

I want to know that whatever I'm getting involved with is going to be stable for the near future.

------------

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page