phone Phobia - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy

phone Phobia

Does anyone else struggle with phone phobia? Sometimes it’s as simple as not wanting to answer the phone or make a call, but sometimes I’m afraid that people will know what I’m doing on the other end of the line, or can hear me on mute (like on a conference call) or can hear me after I’ve hung up. It seems to be worse if I’m multitasking or am in the middle of something when I get a call. Maybe I’m just having trouble shifting gears or focusing? Anyone relate to any of this?

It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls, for the times they are a changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:05 PM
bipolar

I use to have more anxiety on the phone - but it wasn't really the sort of things you're saying. I would just be worried that people could hear the anxiety in my voice, similar to public speaking when my throat would feel like it's closing up and you have to swallow a lot. I can still get a bit anxious with them sometimes but nothing like before - it just depends how I'm feeling from day to day.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I tend to get really , really anxious having to make phonecalls, especially with people outside my immediate family. Normally when I have to make a doctors appointment or ring in sick I have to pace around the house and drink a bit of water. When I do make the call normally I am fine.

Surprisingly at work I tend to have a okay time with the phone despite it always being drenched in sweat the by the time I pop it down.

What I REALLY hate is phoning people in public. I dont want strangers listening in on me xD

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:41 PM
SAS Member

Language: Speaks English, Understands Spanish and Dutch
My Mood: Lonely
I've always had this phobia. I have one of those cheap cell phones that I only use to contact my family for emergencies lol but I don't really know what it's like to have people call me or anything. But at my current internship, my main purpose is to make phone calls and I hate it. I feel silly that sometimes I just stall because it's so terrifying to even pick up that phone and dial those numbers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoelle View Post

What I REALLY hate is phoning people in public. I dont want strangers listening in on me xD
Totally! I also hate the idea that people might be able to hear me because the other person has their phone volume up too high- my husband’s phone is like that. When he gets a call I can hear the person he’s talking too clearly. Even worse - being on speaker and not knowing it- makes me nauseous!

It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls, for the times they are a changing.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssia View Post
Totally! I also hate the idea that people might be able to hear me because the other person has their phone volume up too high- my husbandís phone is like that. When he gets a call I can hear the person heís talking too clearly. Even worse - being on speaker and not knowing it- makes me nauseous!
I hate that too. My wife has me on speaker phone sometimes - she changes it pretty quick though when I say something embarassing.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 PM
SAS Member

Language: Non-Verbal communication
My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoelle View Post

Ohh I'm the same too.. Mum sometimes calls me when I'm on the train and I hang up straight away LOL and tell her to text me instead.

There's also, I have no idea how people can talk while the train's moving... I can barely hear on my phone what the other person's saying. It's really strange, sometimes I see people having a call on public transport but they're speaking so quiet and I'm like "How can you hear? How can they hear you? @[email protected]"

I don't wanna exist
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:58 PM
SAS Member

Language: Non-Verbal communication
My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Totally! I also hate the idea that people might be able to hear me because the other person has their phone volume up too high- my husbandís phone is like that. When he gets a call I can hear the person heís talking too clearly. Even worse - being on speaker and not knowing it- makes me nauseous!
ME lol.

I had this friend in the past that would randomly put me on speaker on occasion but never tell me (them multi-tasking and having to put phone down but still want to hear me lol), so their family could hear me sometimes talking about random niche stuff =_=

Sometimes I get excited and my voice can crack/become funny and all my expressions come out so it's annoying when PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW/TRUST find out my expresions.. since I classify it as one of my weaknesses x] I'm usually cold/apathetic so it's like strangers already know my weaknesses/personality if they hear a personal phone call. :S

I don't wanna exist
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:01 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I get very anxious when receiving a call, or even worse when I have to call somebody, but I wouldn't say that it is phobia at all, it's just an anxiety in my case...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:07 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I hate the phone. I've almost completely stopped answering it, and I hate returning phone calls. If I do return a call, it might be days before I work up the courage to do it. Its completely irrational, except that I no longer trust myself to talk to people for fear of saying something stupid.

Nowadays, my conversations with people, when I have them, always seem awkward and uncomfortable. I'll try to rehearse a conversation if I really have to make a call, but you can't foresee everything, so there seems to be pregnant pauses, me having to find words, forget when I'm saying, etc. I've really gotten out of practice speaking to people and its really bad. I just want to hang up the phone as I can't make small talk and I can't always put my words together coherently.

Interacting with people is painful so I try to avoid it altogether.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:11 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Talking

just wrong channel

i don't work with my ears

all input is eyes

my output is hands!

i can speak but all layers at their end, their demands filters must = what they want!

anyone can act, fool people.. cannot perceive the wish to speak blindly!

lacking their eyes, clothing, the room we're in... the backdrop.. traffic behind..

sound not tickling my senses. LET MEE SEEEE!!! PHONES are strictly for the Ŗlin∂!!! his_master-s_voice.jpg
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:49 AM
SAS Member

It doesn't make me TOO anxious but I still don't like it and avoid it.

There's an eternal summer inside us all.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:30 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Does anyone else struggle with phone phobia? Sometimes itís as simple as not wanting to answer the phone or make a call, but sometimes Iím afraid that people will know what Iím doing on the other end of the line, or can hear me on mute (like on a conference call) or can hear me after Iíve hung up. It seems to be worse if Iím multitasking or am in the middle of something when I get a call. Maybe Iím just having trouble shifting gears or focusing? Anyone relate to any of this?
I relate to preferring to communicate via any means other than phone. I used to wonder why but I know now that it's because of my social anxiety, and also the fact that I have a melancholic temperament; that is, I tend to need some time to think before I know what I want to say and how, and phones don't offer that luxury. A person's temperament, or behavioral tendencies, is inborn - it doesn't change over a lifetime. Some of your anxiety about phones, Lyssia, might not be a symptom of social anxiety but of temperament. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_temperaments)

I myself don't seem to have the other fears you describe, Lyssia, but they do sound social anxiety-related to me, but I'm no expert.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:32 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Innocent
I absolutely hate picking the phone from someone who is not immediate family members and usually just let it ring. Especially in public places. And I get really shy dialing back as well, usually just leave it at that and rather them leave a message if it's anything important. I think... maybe coz when I was as a teen, I had a call from my best friend and it was a call which have us falling out. I was pretty much a loner and maybe subsciously i hate the phone partly because of it... I don't know but it's killing me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page