Parents/Family - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Parents/Family

I have SA really really bad. Not just with strangers, with everyone. I get exteremly anxious around my parents (im 19)..such as at the dinner table, watching tv together in the living room, or just being around them in general. I find it impossible to have a conversation with anyone, including my own parents. Recently during thanksgiving i went to a family gathering and i could not manage to say much of anything the whole time. It seems as though i have no real relationships with anyone in life. Not even with my parents or my friends. I have so much trouble talking to EVERYONE. My parents have no clue, they just think i hate them because i never talk. It sucks...

Can anyone relate to having SA even around their immediate family and friends?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Hiding behind the sofa

Yeah, I experience similar anxiety with my parents and family. It makes things rather difficult.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataaaaaa View Post
I have SA really really bad. Not just with strangers, with everyone. I get exteremly anxious around my parents (im 19)..such as at the dinner table, watching tv together in the living room, or just being around them in general. I find it impossible to have a conversation with anyone, including my own parents. Recently during thanksgiving i went to a family gathering and i could not manage to say much of anything the whole time. It seems as though i have no real relationships with anyone in life. Not even with my parents or my friends. I have so much trouble talking to EVERYONE. My parents have no clue, they just think i hate them because i never talk. It sucks...

Can anyone relate to having SA even around their immediate family and friends?

Well what you HAVE to do is tell them whats going on(which contradicts itself because you say you have problems talking with them) but you HAVE to. I experience this at family gatherings, but not with most of my immediate family.

You have got to tell them, maybe in the form of a note if its easier that way, see a psychiatrist to possibly get on some meds, I would avoid SSRI's because in my experience they magnify my symptoms(everyones different) and get on some mild form of maybe a benzo... or, there was this one medication I tried for a while(didn't work that great but worked enough)called neurontin.

Of course give the psychiatrist all the info and he'll know whats best, but always do research online of long term users of certain meds because then you can go in there educated a little bit and tell the psych. which ones you'd like to avoid based on your research.

First and foremost, your parents got to know, like I said maybe wtie a note.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 AM
SAS Member

Whataaaaaa, I'm the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ups AndDowns View Post
Well what you HAVE to do is tell them whats going on(which contradicts itself because you say you have problems talking with them) but you HAVE to. I experience this at family gatherings, but not with most of my immediate family.

First and foremost, your parents got to know, like I said maybe wtie a note.
But what do you do if you've told them but they don't believe you and don't think twice about it?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:58 AM
SAS Member

I feel the same way. I have social anxiety around almost everyone to some extent. I can usually feel kind of relaxed with my girlfriend, but even then sometimes I get in moods where I don't talk much.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:00 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Yeah, I have the same problem. I don't seem to get much actual anxiety around my immediate family, it's more like extreme self-consciousness, discomfort and hyperawareness about what I'm doing, how I look, etc. I've tried explaining social anxiety to my parents but they just can't understand.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
gaz
SAS Member

I'm fine with my parents but i have anxiety with my grandmother.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathman View Post
Whataaaaaa, I'm the same way.

But what do you do if you've told them but they don't believe you and don't think twice about it?
Then you make them think 3 times about it. You send them here and show them what you posted and how I and others responded.

I've stuggled this struggle before, trying to get parents to really understand SA is quite a hardship.... like a phenomenom.

So point them towards then internet, to this forums, or right to me so they understand:

Their son/daughter is not making this up, its uncommon, but its common... its common enough where at the every least, people like us need our closest family memebers to have our backs and understand where we are comming from.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM

kubas>?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Born Of Blotmona­

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I can experience anxiety around my brothers, my dad, & extended family but I'm usually alright with my mom. With groups of my family I experience too, for example if I'm with both my mom & brother. My parents know as I've discussed it with them briefly but I've never discussed anything anxiety related with my bros. It's obvious that I have some anxiety issues though so the do know

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page