Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   Paralyzing Anxiety starting new Jobs (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/paralyzing-anxiety-starting-new-jobs-1595946/)

Excaliber 09-13-2015 05:30 PM

Paralyzing Anxiety starting new Jobs

Hi all,

So I'm beginning a new job on the 23rd of September and I'm exited to finally be starting an apprenticeship, this should be a good career opportunity and I'm so proud of myself for having gotten this far, but there's a hurdle I gotta get over before I start...

I know I will be nervous on the first day/ weeks and probably extremely sick. It always happens when ever I try something new out of my comfort zone. I get anxiety through the roof to the point I can feel myself going numb and possibly faint, it is paralyzing because it gets so bad, my complexion turns ghostly.

Even though I tell myself in my head that I am exited for this job my body tells me otherwise, I've have this light feeling inside when I think about the day I start, it's not feeling sick, but you feel something odd inside.

I hate always having to deal with this and feeling this way, every time I try something new I always get this way, I'm going to have to force myself through it just like I did starting highschool and my previous 2 jobs. Eventually I become comfortable but it can take a long time. I just don't understand why I have to be like this.

So how would you deal with my situation, do you have any tips of what I can do to feel better when the day comes?

andy1984 09-13-2015 06:29 PM

my apprenticeship sucked. it was really boring after the first few weeks. then the guys i worked with started being dicks, so i left.

hope it goes well for you. not much you can do really, just try to relax and go with the flow.

dcon94 09-13-2015 06:37 PM

I'm in a very similar situation, I start my first full time job on the 21st of September since graduating from uni a couple of months ago, freaking out a bit already, wish you could just fast forward to the bit where you are comfortable there and know what you are doing.

Wish I could give you some advice, but I don't know myself haha

Emilia101 09-17-2015 05:42 PM

Snap! I start my apprentice role on the 21st. I was really happy to get this job but I'm really nervous that I won't fit into the group of people that already work there & I'll be the odd one out. I guess we're both in the same situation, let me know how it goes for you and how you deal with your anxiety when working!!! Xx