Panic attacks - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Panic attacks

Does anyone get long lasting panic attacks like me, how do you deal with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 AM
Temporarily Banned

I think I've only ever had 2 true panic attacks in my life and they scared the living daylights out of me. I feel very sorry for you if you get them often - that's awful.

It's a problem because by the time they're happening it's too late for medication, unless I guess if you took something every day to try and lower your general level of anxiety? Or maybe you could try meditation or something similar to do the same thing. How effective it would be I couldn't say for sure though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I think I've only ever had 2 true panic attacks in my life and they scared the living daylights out of me. I feel very sorry for you if you get them often - that's awful.

It's a problem because by the time they're happening it's too late for medication, unless I guess if you took something every day to try and lower your general level of anxiety? Or maybe you could try meditation or something similar to do the same thing. How effective it would be I couldn't say for sure though.

No need to feel sorry for me but thanks I guess. Well anxiety attacks are a lot worse than panic attacks. Iv only had a couple of anxiety attacks before they were pretty freightening.
When I say panic attack for me it’s increased heart rate and the feeling of difficult breathing if you looked at me you wouldn’t be able to tell I was experiencing it. Iv read some people’s can last for an entire day.
I should probably get some benzodiazepines I just don’t want to get addicted.
Mine arnt extremely often but they do occur infrequently so I would probably be good with Benzos actually

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 10:11 AM
MyViewsMatter

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:

Definitely go for meditation in order to become present with a calm mind. I heard that sometimes we can be a slave to our own minds, with useless thought loops.

Remember, your views and what you have to say matter to others AND to yourself
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 12:52 PM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorish View Post
No need to feel sorry for me but thanks I guess. Well anxiety attacks are a lot worse than panic attacks. Iv only had a couple of anxiety attacks before they were pretty freightening.
When I say panic attack for me it’s increased heart rate and the feeling of difficult breathing if you looked at me you wouldn’t be able to tell I was experiencing it. Iv read some people’s can last for an entire day.
I should probably get some benzodiazepines I just don’t want to get addicted.
Mine arnt extremely often but they do occur infrequently so I would probably be good with Benzos actually
I meant that I was sorry you're experiencing that - not that I pitied you.

Yeah, maybe what I experienced were what you call anxiety attacks. I have no idea. The problem with benzos is that by the time they take effect (usually about 20 o 30 minutes) - the "attack" will probably be over. They might help though, it's difficult to say.

I hope things get a bit easier for you anyway.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyViewsMatter View Post
Definitely go for meditation in order to become present with a calm mind. I heard that sometimes we can be a slave to our own minds, with useless thought loops.
Hmm yeah!! I actually like mediating I donít do it enough but though Iíll probably try that next time, see how it goes.

Quote:
I meant that I was sorry you're experiencing that - not that I pitied you.

Yeah, maybe what I experienced were what you call anxiety attacks. I have no idea. The problem with benzos is that by the time they take effect (usually about 20 o 30 minutes) - the "attack" will probably be over. They might help though, it's difficult to say.

I hope things get a bit easier for you anyway.
Thanks!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:48 AM
MyViewsMatter

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorish View Post
Hmm yeah!! I actually like mediating I donít do it enough but though Iíll probably try that next time, see how it goes.

Thanks!
Might I just add, some meditations are not effective because during the meditation, you try to become present and stop thinking for 20 minutes. It's almost like your forcing yourself to not think, and then a thought comes then you push it down and be present, but it's sorta like judging your own thoughts or saying your thoughts are invalid.

Instead the more effective approach is to be the "watcher of your own thoughts" as Eckhart Tolle said. It's like be aware of 2 things: the thought and yourself listening to it. Then it's like your fully present and still have a thought at the same time and the thoughts will pass by like airplanes in the sky. But if your mind gets carried away then you suddenly realized your not focused on the now moment then that's when the mind has taken over you lol and you just shift your awareness back to the present moment.

Remember, your views and what you have to say matter to others AND to yourself
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyViewsMatter View Post
Might I just add, some meditations are not effective because during the meditation, you try to become present and stop thinking for 20 minutes. It's almost like your forcing yourself to not think, and then a thought comes then you push it down and be present, but it's sorta like judging your own thoughts or saying your thoughts are invalid.

Instead the more effective approach is to be the "watcher of your own thoughts" as Eckhart Tolle said. It's like be aware of 2 things: the thought and yourself listening to it. Then it's like your fully present and still have a thought at the same time and the thoughts will pass by like airplanes in the sky. But if your mind gets carried away then you suddenly realized your not focused on the now moment then that's when the mind has taken over you lol and you just shift your awareness back to the present moment.
Iíve tried both Forms of meditation I agree observing your own thoughts and letting them pass on their own is probably the best form. Of meditation trying to push away your own thoughts can Create types of barriers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page