OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) - Please Read - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Exclamation

OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) - Please Read

Hi everyone, just a quick message.

I'm doing some psychology research into anxiety/obsessive compulsive disorders. I've drawn up this statement (theory) and just wanted to know whether people with OCD can relate to it. A simply 'agree' or 'disagree + reasoning' is enough:

"In the case of OCD, obsessive worrying and planning over subsequent situations may make the suffer less anxious of the awaiting event, but an extraneous variable such as someone entering the conversation which the suffer is unable to control can trigger the anxiety. As the situation has not been mentally rehearsed in their mind, the person can be forced to improvise and cause severe distress."

Thanks if you leave a message, all comments are valued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

... I suppose this could also apply with social anxiety itself, do you feel less stressed when you rehearse a conversation? As you know what you're going to say to someone, does it relieve the anxiety of improvisation.

Kind regards,

Ashley
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:15 PM
SAS Member

Hmm, well if a conversation is of importance I will often memorize what I want to say. However, in doing this I often get a ton of pre-anxiety related issues and I even tend to avoid the conversation I had planned for. The conversations themselves can be put off for months..And during those months I'm always thinking about how pathetic I am for not getting it over with. Also this leads to anxiety every time I encounter the person.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page