New research on anxiety. Mitochondria May Hold Keys to Anxiety and Mental Health - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

New research on anxiety. Mitochondria May Hold Keys to Anxiety and Mental Health

Interesting new article on research on how Mitochondria May Hold Keys to Anxiety and Mental Health

https://www.quantamagazine.org/mitoc...alth-20200810/

I thought some of these following passages where interesting from the article.

"When researchers put rats in competition to establish a social hierarchy, she saw that the animals with less anxiety were more likely to acquire dominant rank. Further study showed that these less anxious animals had greater mitochondrial function in the nucleus accumbens, a part of the brain vital to motivated behavior and the production of effort.

Other research in many laboratories unearthed further ties between stress and mitochondria. In 2018, Picard and the stress research pioneer Bruce McEwen, who died earlier this year, published a meta-analysis of 23 studies on mitochondria and anxiety: 19 demonstrated “significant adverse effects of psychological stress on mitochondria” and even the other four noted changes in mitochondrial size or function in response to stress."

Anyway any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 01:36 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Yeah, my mitochondria suck. All of my bio sibs and my mother have anxiety disorders. So maybe it's linked to mitochondrial DNA.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Yeah, my mitochondria suck. All of my bio sibs and my mother have anxiety disorders. So maybe it's linked to mitochondrial DNA.
Yep darn genetics. Im sure my father had an anxiety disorder which was never diagnosed. Along with other members of my family. Cant control your genetics just the hand we are dealt. Just have to overcome it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 10:43 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Anyway any thoughts?
Yep. Sounds like they're on the right track if they want to genetically engineer an army of Khans.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 04:41 AM
SAS Member

What you put in your gut has a big impact on your mental health. That's what I experienced. Weaning off the junk food as painful as it is changed my life. I really recommend Walnuts. Look at them they even look like a brain.

They have omega-3
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbasGreen View Post
What you put in your gut has a big impact on your mental health. That's what I experienced. Weaning off the junk food as painful as it is changed my life. I really recommend Walnuts. Look at them they even look like a brain.

They have omega-3
I take Omega 3 Fish oil Supplements. So that should have that part covered even though my diet is the best I think
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 08:57 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Yep darn genetics. Im sure my father had an anxiety disorder which was never diagnosed. Along with other members of my family. Cant control your genetics just the hand we are dealt. Just have to overcome it.
Relate to as well, my father has anxiety disorder

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page