New driver I need all the advice possible! - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
Drove to get my haircut today. I'm not sure how close you're suppose to park to the curb/wheel stop thing in parking spaces. Can you go too far or will it stop you? Will it damage your tires if you park too close on it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo1114 View Post
The worst part of driving is dealing with other drivers of course. Nothing you can really do about it, but always keep your eyes on the road and be ready to react if somebody does something stupid, because people are idiots. I can't think of anything else really that I get anxious about anymore. You don't have to deal with snowy/icy roads at least.
Thanks

[Staff Edit]

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

Last edited by WillYouStopDave; 08-31-2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Quote of deleted post removed
Kevin001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 09:12 AM
SAS Member
 
helpless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,307
I do not like driving a car, but it is something I have to do to go to my job, and other places I need to go.

The highways are very dangerous, and you have to keep you eyes on the road, and your rear view mirrors at all times.

One thing I have learned, from several near collisions, is that when changing lanes, even if you do not see any cars in the right or left rear view mirrors, to your left or right, there could still be a car beside you in the lane you are planning to turn into, so always look to your left or right through the glass on the car doors, to be certain there is no car in the lane you are turning into.

Once An SA, Always an SA
helpless is offline  
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 09:20 AM
SAS Member
 
helpless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,307

I have been told . . .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Drove to get my haircut today. I'm not sure how close you're suppose to park to the curb/wheel stop thing in parking spaces. Can you go too far or will it stop you? Will it damage your tires if you park too close on it?




Thanks

[Staff Edit]
Kevin, I have been told that if you do park your car with the front tires on the concrete stop or bumper on the front parking space, it will not damage them, but I still do not like seeing my tires mashed into that bumper, and if my front tires do contact it, I back off of the bumper just a bit.

Curbs are something you and I, and all drivers need to be very careful to keep a good distance from your car's tires.

There is one restaurant I frequently go to, and many times, making a right turn from their drive through lane, into the parking lot, my right tires have scaped the curb, which you don't want to do.

I have fianlly learned, at that particular location, to go further past the interesection with the parking lot before making the right turn into the parking lot.

Once An SA, Always an SA
helpless is offline  
 
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless View Post
I do not like driving a car, but it is something I have to do to go to my job, and other places I need to go.

The highways are very dangerous, and you have to keep you eyes on the road, and your rear view mirrors at all times.

One thing I have learned, from several near collisions, is that when changing lanes, even if you do not see any cars in the right or left rear view mirrors, to your left or right, there could still be a car beside you in the lane you are planning to turn into, so always look to your left or right through the glass on the car doors, to be certain there is no car in the lane you are turning into.
Thanks I don't have to drive on a highway thankfully but a ramp that is similar and merging is the hardest part especially when the traffic is bad. Its like do you stop and wait or just let others know you're coming in because the road is ending in front.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
My mom is freaking out because the oil lamp light was flashing but the guys at the shop said the oil is fine I'll check it myself tomorrow though. She says the car might blow up. I knew this car wasn't perfect I just need something that'll last a couple of months before I throw any money on it to make some profit on it. Worst case scenario it dies on me but it only cost me $606. It seems fine to me though.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:20 AM
I am average!
 
Ominous Indeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Age: 26
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless View Post
I do not like driving a car, but it is something I have to do to go to my job, and other places I need to go.

The highways are very dangerous, and you have to keep you eyes on the road, and your rear view mirrors at all times.

One thing I have learned, from several near collisions, is that when changing lanes, even if you do not see any cars in the right or left rear view mirrors, to your left or right, there could still be a car beside you in the lane you are planning to turn into, so always look to your left or right through the glass on the car doors, to be certain there is no car in the lane you are turning into.
Yea, there is a blind spot, and it's very easy for cars to get into the blind spot if the car is small. I always wait 1-2 seconds before I decide to cross lanes.
Ominous Indeed is offline  
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
I'll attempt to drive to work today for the first time alone. Hope the car manages.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 10:24 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 31,607
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Thanks I don't have to drive on a highway thankfully but a ramp that is similar and merging is the hardest part especially when the traffic is bad. Its like do you stop and wait or just let others know you're coming in because the road is ending in front.
If you're not low on oil, I would think it would be caused by incorrect oil pressure or something (Probably low from what I read). If this is the Toyota you were talking about buying, I would suspect that maybe you have sludge buildup in the bottom of the engine (some Toyotas are known for that I think but I don't know if that particular model is). Obviously, if you have sludge in your engine, it would slow things down and possibly block something.

I guess you'd need to ask someone who really knows. It might be nothing (sometimes warning lights are caused by bad sensors or something I think) but either way you might not make it a couple of months if the oil light is already on.
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
If you're not low on oil, I would think it would be caused by incorrect oil pressure or something (Probably low from what I read). If this is the Toyota you were talking about buying, I would suspect that maybe you have sludge buildup in the bottom of the engine (some Toyotas are known for that I think but I don't know if that particular model is). Obviously, if you have sludge in your engine, it would slow things down and possibly block something.

I guess you'd need to ask someone who really knows. It might be nothing (sometimes warning lights are caused by bad sensors or something I think) but either way you might not make it a couple of months if the oil light is already on.
Its 2008 honda, I added a quart of oil and didn't see anything really on the stick. I know my sister kept up with the oil changes though.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:55 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
My mom is freaking out because the oil lamp light was flashing but the guys at the shop said the oil is fine I'll check it myself tomorrow though. She says the car might blow up. I knew this car wasn't perfect I just need something that'll last a couple of months before I throw any money on it to make some profit on it. Worst case scenario it dies on me but it only cost me $606. It seems fine to me though.
No offence obviously Kevin - but how was this very specific number decided on?
harrison is offline  
post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:40 PM
SAS Member
 
helpless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,307
Kevin, I hope your drive to and from work was safe.

I dislike making left turns so much that I will drive a mile or more out of the way, to find an intersection with a light with a green arrow for making left turns. It is terrifying to me to make a left turn with no traffic light.

The description you give of merging from a ramp from one highway into another,is extremely bad at two intersections near my shack, and while I avoid one of those as much as I can, there is another one where I have to go on a ramp and make a left turn right at the river span of a high rise bridge.

Often I will take a less crowded highway over the river, and chance having to stop at the drawbridge, which sometimes delays me by 15 mins, but does not have the terror of turning left into a busy crowded highway right at the span over the river of the high rise bridge.

That other intersection, where I have seen quite a few wrecks, and have had some near misses with other cars, is one that I sometimes cannot avoid.

When you are driving, keep your eyes on the road and wide open all the time, as Sammy Johns was told in the song "Chevy Van," and Johnny Cash sang that he did in "I Walk the Line."

Once An SA, Always an SA
helpless is offline  
post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
I didn't drive to work will try to get an oil change tomorrow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
No offence obviously Kevin - but how was this very specific number decided on?
Its my sister's new monthly car payment amount. So I just paid her 1st month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless View Post
Kevin, I hope your drive to and from work was safe.

I dislike making left turns so much that I will drive a mile or more out of the way, to find an intersection with a light with a green arrow for making left turns. It is terrifying to me to make a left turn with no traffic light.

The description you give of merging from a ramp from one highway into another,is extremely bad at two intersections near my shack, and while I avoid one of those as much as I can, there is another one where I have to go on a ramp and make a left turn right at the river span of a high rise bridge.

Often I will take a less crowded highway over the river, and chance having to stop at the drawbridge, which sometimes delays me by 15 mins, but does not have the terror of turning left into a busy crowded highway right at the span over the river of the high rise bridge.

That other intersection, where I have seen quite a few wrecks, and have had some near misses with other cars, is one that I sometimes cannot avoid.

When you are driving, keep your eyes on the road and wide open all the time, as Sammy Johns was told in the song "Chevy Van," and Johnny Cash sang that he did in "I Walk the Line."
Thanks

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 11:26 PM
SAS Member
 
millenniumman75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Gender: Male
Age: 45
Posts: 154,028
My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
So I finally got a car yesterday. Its like a whole new world. My anxiety is still there though. The most I've ever driven by myself was to my mailbox for like 6 mins. I'm anxious about getting gas for the first time, using wipers when it rains, checking my tires????, lifting the hood???, etc. I'm just brand new and anxious. Any advice and success stories is welcomed. I will try driving for 30 mins in the neighborhood today but I'm so not ready to be driving to work alone today. Anybody similar?
Congratulations on the WHEELZ! (I haven't given those out in a LOOONG TIME!)

Don't worry about doing things with your car. Everybody has to go through it at one time or another. I was in between two accidents one morning on my way to work (40 minute commute one way). I wasn't hit, but shrapnel from one of the accidents nailed by radiator.....I leaked worse than a baby's faulty diaper! I had to be towed. No choice. They fixed it......but they forgot about the hose! A week later, I was trying to get home from work and saw the water temperature rise to red. I leaked out. I had to wait on the side of an interstate for an hour...and all but one towing company had run out of people due to the eight hour work limitation! I was told that it would be 8pm by one, and 10am the next morning by another one!

I got a tow truck to take my car FIFTY miles to the dealer where I had my car fixed. $250!

If I can get through all of that, you can get through anything. Don't worry about what other people think.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline  
post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
^^ Thanks now its suppose to be storming today so not sure I want my first time driving to work to be in a storm!

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
Getting oil change today and thats it, I'm not putting anymore money in this car anytime soon. I have to break even, even if that means I only get a few months out of the car.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
Drove to work and back guys! I'm already dreading it again tomorrow but at least I know I can plus saved $26 by not using lyft/uber.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 11:03 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Drove to work and back guys! I'm already dreading it again tomorrow but at least I know I can plus saved $26 by not using lyft/uber.
Good on you Kevin - it's probably just a matter of keep practising. Hopefully you'll get more confident with time. All the best anyway.
harrison is offline  
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 01:25 AM
Pesky Pessimist
 
Blue Dino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,193
If you're are just driving the same route back and forth to work, you will get comfortable and use to it pretty quick. Pretty impressive at how fast you're adjusting to it though.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
Blue Dino is offline  
post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 57,621
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Good on you Kevin - it's probably just a matter of keep practising. Hopefully you'll get more confident with time. All the best anyway.
Thanks really just want to make sure I park straight every time and make sure I switch lanes when its safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
If you're are just driving the same route back and forth to work, you will get comfortable and use to it pretty quick. Pretty impressive at how fast you're adjusting to it though.
Thanks! I listen to one radio station while driving. I tell myself hey after 4 songs you'll be there it helps lol. Plus I tell myself hey once you reach your destination its like you're getting $13 because I use to pay that much for a ride each way. Its just extra motivation. Parking and switching lanes is what I want to master.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 05:22 AM
UnDeRrAtED
 
CopadoMexicano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SPirtuallyLiberated-SpirituallyDefeated
Language: SPanish and English fluently
Gender: Male
Age: 36
Posts: 34,640
After skimming through the updated version of the Texas Drivers Handbook since not all states are the same I think its been 20 years since I last read one. I still have my revised handbook from 2000. The driving behavior of motorists in todays city is atrocious too much wreckless driving over the years as it worsened with the growing population. Ive always been a careful, cautious, and precise driver and now Im rewarded with 100 dollar discount for persistency with the current insurance. As harrison has mentioned its going to take practice time and patience. Youll get the hang of it. Take it easy.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome