Nervous stuttering - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Nervous stuttering

I went for a job interview yesterday for a position I've been a volunteer for 3 years. I stuttered on and off through it, and I told them I stutter when I get nervous.
I don't know why I stuttered or why I was nervous, I obviously can do the job and I know everyone there. The only reason I can think of would be that everyone is so sure I'm getting the job, and everyone knows I am going for it, that it made me afraid I'd let everyone down.
I do stutter, but usually when I'm excited, or nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Use private messages.

My Mood: Lonely
I do this all the time. Doesn't have to be for any big deal like getting a job. I can sit at the drive-thru and rehearse exactly what I'm going to say when I order, and when I get to the speaker, it's a train wreck or mumbling, stuttering, and gibberish. I'm terrible at interacting with anyone.

No longer posting or reading the public forum.
Please send a PM (or email), I'll still be checking my messages as long as I have any.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Meme Machine

The same thing for me. When I'm nervous I stutter a lot.

You said that you stutter when you're excited. Maybe you were excited when you were doing the job interview and you just don't know it?

Anyway, I understand how you feel. It's pretty embarrassing when I stutter, it makes me look stupid.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm sure you don't look stupid when you stutter. I always think others are feeling sorry for me when i stutter.
One thing this impairment has done for my is teach me to be kind and gracious to others, because I have my thing that they can't see. Everyone else has their thing, whether we can see it or not.
I just pray that the interviewer is gracious towards me, and takes my past and present experience into consideration which does include negotiating and public speaking.
I think I'm good, then I stutter in public then I get so scared I'll do it again, it's almost debilitating.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 PM
The Awesome One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaeve View Post
You said that you stutter when you're excited. Maybe you were excited when you were doing the job interview and you just don't know it?
I'm sure Bellaeve knows the difference.

That reminds me of the type of saying "Make your butterfiles fly in formation!". Maybe some people can do it, but I could never do that. To me it felt more like being tasered ...

Quote:
I think I'm good, then I stutter in public then I get so scared I'll do it again, it's almost debilitating.
I know, how being scared about being scared can intensify the fear. There's a post with a few useful tips that you may find useful: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...post1082924922

But, at least your mind isn't going blank, forget, skip or even mix up sentences in highly stressful (i.e. fear) situations. Another sypmtom that I used to experience a lot as well as stuttering. Interestingly, as I was working on myself, the overall fear intensity came down and both the stuttering and blank mind issues as well as all the other physical symptoms of fear are gone.

Quote:
I'm sure you don't look stupid when you stutter. I always think others are feeling sorry for me when i stutter.
I think most people are understanding that it may happen or simply just ignore it and focus on other things. Most often it's our own perception that makes the difference.

Quote:
and takes my past and present experience into consideration which does include negotiating and public speaking
I'm sure they will.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 PM
SAS Member

i tend to do this a lot too. even if i rehearse what i'm about to say in my head, sometimes it just comes out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page