Name something weird you do because of SA / avoidance - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Failure's Art

Name something weird you do because of SA / avoidance

When I go clothes shopping, I drive to a mall really far away to make sure I don't bump into anyone I know, usually to a town no one I know lives near or in. I once drove to a mall in another state to make sure I wouldn't run into anyone.

And I always try to take a vacation day and go to the stores during the week rather than the weekend to minimize the number of people I might potentially bump into.

What are some weirdo things you do to accommodate your SA / avoidant personality?

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 12:36 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: In Love
i always take the stairs.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear24itself View Post
i always take the stairs.

Me too - when we moved into a new office in 2019 one of my first priorities was to locate the stairwell and plan my daily human-avoiding exit strategy.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:07 PM
SAS Member

Okay, so this is REALLY weird and I don't know if anyone else does it. I can't watch TV shows or movies because I'm scared that the people who are watching them with me might think I have a crush on certain character when in reality, my eyes are just really big and to watch tv or movies, I stare at what's happening very intensely! I have always had this problem. It was most likely caused because my sister said that I was looking at some random dude on the tv screen very intensely. She basically said I had a crush on him in front of everyone, when I don't. I know, this sounds like a petty 12 year old thing, but It's true. Here's the thing, I always do this to take in everything that's going on, on the screen. I guess I overreact to certain scenes as well because I'm really invested and can be extremely emotional. LOL Also, I have a very expressive face and eyes. I tend to squish my face and react all crazily, but that's because I genuinely observe what's happening as if It were right there happening in real life. Weird, I know, but that's something I do related to SA. My sister still tells my other sister that I have a crush on everyone I look at that's on freaking television to this day!

Lol,
What Have I done???

Also, I try to avoid people because whenever I talk to them, (even girls) my face gets red. I hate interacting with people that much! I just want it to be done and over with. Often, I think that they are judging me so naturally, I get embarrassed, but it's not a normal kind of embarrassed it's more of a overthinking what they just said and thinking that they are going behind my back and talking about me kind of thing. My mind will say "they are totally making fun of you right now!" This does go hand in hand with the stupid 12 year old like crush thing and I hate it! It leads people to believe I'm lesbian or have a crush on anyone I meet! (which there is nothing wrong with, I'm just straight as a freakin board) (forgive me if I don't know how to spell straight LOL) This also has to do with the fact that I am extremely awkward and introverted. I cannot for the life of me, talk to one person without sounding like a complete idiot! I feel so much pressure to be liked and that's just never gonna happen!

It doesn't help that I have a sister that is loved by everyone and she is so freaking pretty. She could be a model. So yeah, she's the perfect and successful one, while I'm here lookin like a dork and letting my family down. You've seen awkward handshakes, I firmly believe that's the type of handshake I would give. I just think, I'm that kind of person. So there's that. My humor absolutely sucks and I avoid making jokes as much as possible too.

I am not a normal girl, I will give you that! I don't like meeting people and it has to do with how awkward I am. I can't carry on or start a conversation because I'm so awkward that people avoid me.

I don't know how I'm gonna do when it comes to real life so I often record how I sound when I speak and try to practice speaking with confidence.It helps a little bit, but phone conversations are still weird because I can't think of anything to talk about.

Those are some really weird things I do because of social anxiety.

H.P.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 10:54 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
When I was living with some random people I would often leave my milk on the window sill overnight during the colder months instead of in the fridge to reduce time spent in the kitchen. I'd also keep cereal in my room and other snacks.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 11:26 PM
Barbells and kittens

During my brief time in college I'd go outside and walk around the buildings rather than have to walk by people in the halls.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:49 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
My whole life is something weird I do because of avoidance.

The road to poverty is paved with artistic pretensions.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 03:57 AM
experimental sincerity

The weirdest was when I pissed in a plastic bottle to avoid leaving my room (I was living with lots of people and even more people would come round every day for beer & banter). I was on amitriptyline then and it wasn't good for me.

Nowadays I'm doing alright and acting pretty normally - just avoiding making phone calls, avoiding opening curtains in some rooms, etc.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Fupa King

Language: English
If someone is walking down a grocery aisle I need to go in, I immediately turn around and find a empty aisle to go down even though there is stuff I need down that other aisle.

Life's Wack
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM
SAS Member

spending class breaks in the bathroom at uni and even eating my sandwich next to those stinky toilets lol.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
I ride a bike everywhere, even in winter because that way i dont have to take the public transport.

And at school i ate outside by myself or with a few friends who ate outside too. I don't think i ever set foot in the cafeteria for the time i was there.

I often take the stairs as well, like other people have said. Thanks to human laziness, barely anyone take stairs so it's easy peasy for anxiety.

I talk to myself a lot in my head, trying to convince myself that it's okay, to not be worried and people don't look at you or care and even if they do look it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. It helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
If someone is walking down a grocery aisle I need to go in, I immediately turn around and find a empty aisle to go down even though there is stuff I need down that other aisle.
Yep, I do that too sometimes. Somedays i just don't give a **** but somedays the anxiety is bad and i do stuff like that.

What is a man?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:21 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Living at home with mommy and not getting a proper job ^.^

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 06:42 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
Talk to myself. It gets bad... that and wearing long sleeves in the summer because I don't want anyone looking at me. I don't know why, no one's said anything, I just feel self-conscious. Sometimes I'll ignore my phone out of dread. And get an odd kick from having to wear a mask in public. Well, I sound like a sociopath now.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 07:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
Whenever I am on vacation and there is a pool where we are staying, I don't like swimming if there is a lot of people around. For some reason, if it is a lake or a public pool I am fine.

Last edited by godlover; 07-24-2020 at 07:43 PM. Reason: getting rid of signature
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 08:09 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical

Name something weird you do because of SA / avoidance

I ride my bike everywhere from late Spring to early Fall to avoid public transit.

I order a lot of things online including groceries to avoid going to shops.

I’ve worked evenings or nights for most of my working life in part because that’s when most social events are happening & there’s no excuse like “I’m working” to avoid people/gatherings.

I rarely call anyone simply to just talk, I text for that. If I’m calling there’s almost always more to it than just checking in.

My internal monologue is pretty intense & sometimes I even talk aloud to myself to reason things out or to ruminate
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:10 AM
SAS Member

I'm not British but most of these are relatable:

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:29 AM
Pesky Pessimist

With friends or any social groups I haven't seen in a while for whatever reason, I will just completely withdraw from them permanently and give up on them.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Were View Post
I'm not British but most of these are relatable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYCgTgc5_vA

haha everyone should watch this...not sure why these are "British" problems most of them are SA / awkward people problems. I've done most of these at some point. Like the arduous train route to avoid a work colleague or the worrying about how you come across over email. Classic SA conundrums.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 07:14 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
When I was in high school, seniors were allowed to leave campus during lunch time. The moment I became a senior, I used my privilege to leave the lunchroom as soon as I was done eating and leave the building. I felt too awkward staying in the cafeteria after I was done and the library, surprisingly was too loud. There was a wooden platform (kind of like a bench) that surrounded the trees outside and I would sit there and read my ebooks in my ereader.

I didn't realize at the time, however, that "leave campus" didn't just mean leave the building - you literally were expected to drive somewhere else (dairy queen was a favorite for many) or take the long trek to the park across the street.

One day as I was reading I was approached by a security guard! I showed him my pass and that's when he had to clarify the rule for seniors... It was back to the lunchroom for me! I think today people would be even more suspicious of anyone hanging alone by themselves considering the media stereotypes of loners at school.

Another day (before the security guard incident) I was reading as usual when I heard a student call out to me. I looked around and there was no one outside except me. Then I looked up. Someone had opened a classroom window on one of the higher level floors and was trying to get my attention! They said something else but I don't remember. I got up, freaked out that the teacher wasn't enough to hold their attention (of course their mind would drift away sitting next to a window) and left super fast.

I would have gone to the park, but it took too long to get there on foot and back. Also I didn't have my license then nor did I have a car. I didn't get my license until college.

John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 07:23 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
As for something more recent... At work before the pandemic, my coworkers and I reported to the office twice a month. To be healthier I always took the stairs. Then management decided to electronically lock the doors and for some reason my card didn't work. I had to go back down the 4 levels of stairs and take the elevator! To break the ice with co-workers and make things less awkward I just joke around about my card not working. Helps to brighten everyone's mood before getting a head start on a super busy day!

I now have to wait until after the pandemic to have my card to the building fixed... Can't avoid anyone now - they are my access! At least I'm not the only one who needs their card reset.

John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page